SOTD: Saturday 9 March - Friday 15 March 2024.

Thanks for the heads up, excuse my ignorance I’ve not used shims so where to put the shim and what should I use?
cheers Alan
@NotTheStig has already answered, but I'll chime in with my approach.

If you have a whetstone, you can grind off the cutting edges of a used DE blade to get a nicely even shim.
Pop it in-between the blade and the base plate.
For razors with lots of blade flex (not the case with the Feather, as I remember it), you could sandwich a blade between two shims.

You could also try a thinner paint of lather - the extra blade feel it's likely to provide should help keep the angle. Considering the sweet spot for efficiency with the Feather is pretty narrow, it might be worth a try.

Monday 11th March

AP1GczN7dwJISsGiXe8Cb5cuCMypls3f0ZVD69bk0k5xFhwyKLVt9A7jLrJBQUYbvBovGGiii1z8Dyn2gl4erLUJR1OuP58C2A8MhrQVO1gh089bXndmJm6PzIeuA_2BIAbxg8aXUQUOkwYbnIEBQqaHG7lRTw=w800

L'Occitane Cade Shaving Bowl & Semogue SOC Taj Pure Bristle
Razorock Hawk A w/KCG Handle & Feather Professional (1)
Mandate (Vintage) Aftershave

SOTD Mon 11 Mar 2024

Wet, cold, Monday, shave
702C3154-A294-4602-9375-2B0034719360.jpeg
Prep - hot shower, Imperial Leather face wash
Bowl - glass
Cream - Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe
Brush - DS Cosmetic T4 synthetic
Razor - Muhle R89 Twist
Blade - Dorco Prime (4)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum block
Splash - Sierran Breeze ASL
Balm - Nivea Sensitive Cool ASB
Fragrance - Mastermind EDT

Rubbish day, but great shave. Everything seemed well matched and worked fine. No problems and my face left feeling and smelling good.

9DE5F730-B1DA-4F99-9DBD-92091022E3B4.jpeg
You put your right leg in, your right leg out
In, out, in, out, you shake it all about
You do the hokey cokey and you turn around
That's what it's all about
Woah-oh, the hokey cokey
Woah-oh, the hokey cokey
Woah-oh, the hokey cokey
Knees bent, arms stretched, ra, ra, ra!

Really?

@NotTheStig has already answered, but I'll chime in with my approach.

If you have a whetstone, you can grind off the cutting edges of a used DE blade to get a nicely even shim.
Pop it in-between the blade and the base plate.
For razors with lots of blade flex (not the case with the Feather, as I remember it), you could sandwich a blade between two shims.

You could also try a thinner paint of lather - the extra blade feel it's likely to provide should help keep the angle. Considering the sweet spot for efficiency with the Feather is pretty narrow, it might be worth a try.
Thanks everyone for the advice on shimming its opened up a whole new range of possibilities for me on my wet shave journey.
I might just need to increase my stash of Alum blocks though just as a precaution :ROFLMAO:

Tue 12
Soap & Aftershave PAA Cavendish
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful
Razor Joseph Elliott 13/16 Fine India Steel
Marvelous soap, brush & splash combination! Creamy slick lather and super aromatic scent!
Enjoyed a beautiful shave with this excellent razor whose edge was buttery smooth and crisply keen...
20240312_092345.jpg

SOTD: 12th March 2024.

15.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Bulldog Vetiver & Black Pepper Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Cien PURE Fragrance Free Sensitive Bar Soap.
Brush: Semogue 1305.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
Lather: Scottish Fine Shaving Soap.
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp (Carbon) blue pack. (D1)
Razor: Parker 92R. (Face)
Razor: Gillette Guard. (Head) - (D4)

Cold water Face & Head wash with brush squeezing's,/ Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./ Alum Rub./Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With Care+Witch Hazel/Superdrug Forest Fresh ASL./Boots Freshwood ASB.

Greetings,

(Face & Head shave)

Early morning shave,

A wonderful performance from the Semogue 1305 boar brush...My new found fondness for my humble boar brushes grows with each outing. The Semogue 1305 is a great brush.

Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Boots Freshwood ASB.

My face & precious swede are feeling smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Tuesday 12 March

After taking advice yesterday from always helpful TSR folk today I used a shim with the Feather. Started with a new Astra and then cut back a used Astra as a shim. Then with Tobs Sandalwood which is a favourite, love the scent which lathered up nicely with the new/old West German badger. The shim did add aggression, from a 1/2 up to 3 or 4 with a Gillette adjustable which was a definite improvement compared to yesterday. One main pass wtg then a mild tidy up atg and a few pick ups around neck and jaw line. No drama, no irritation and happy boy I am.
Enjoy the day fellas!

IMG_0525.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom