SOTD : Saturday 8th January-Friday 14th January 2022.

IkGb1EO.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club LE 2012 Mixed Badger/Boar
Soap: NOS Lea Classic (tallow)
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat #22
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Platinum Royal (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Reuzel Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Acca Kappa 1869 EdP

The newly tuned Aristocrat is shaving beautifully.

Sotd-13-01-22.png
This morning -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - M plate
blade - Treet carbon (3)
brush - Simpson - Special best
soap - Vie Long stick
post - cold water
a/s - RazoRock - Santa Maria del Fiore.

I was thinking about my shaving career - if you can express it that way - specifically, how and why do improvements continue to happen after you have been doing it a while? In my own case - I can't speak for anyone else - I have a recurring cycle of - observation > innovation > improvement > plateau > back to observation. Granted, as you gain experience, the big improvements get further apart but it is a continuing process. Recently my shaves have been better than ever, possibly due to two identifiable factors: being able to use milder razors without a loss of closeness in finish and a conscious adoption of simplicity. With the latter - most obvious in the post regime. Cold water then a splash or balm depending on my skin. That's it and, to paraphrase, I've never had it so good. All of which I suppose is a long-winded way of saying - every day is a school day for the proper shaver. Enjoy yours - cheers - I.

13/01/22
Pre - Shower
Brush - Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus 1950
Soap - Proraso Green Eucalyptus & Menthol
Razor - ES Claymore V1
Blade - Feather Pro Blade (9)
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Proraso Green
A/S - Proraso Green
Wk 02 22 (6).JPG
A really nice shave spoiled by a millisecond of ??, remember that graze from yesterday, well, whatever was covering it was taken off. It did not bleed yesterday but it did today, no real issue and the overall shave was an enjoyable one.
I do find the Proraso leaves a thick film on the sink, brush and bowl after the shave, so all needed a good clean - not my favourite soap.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

372F6ED2-36DD-4B06-BD8E-A539E24CE830.jpeg

Razors: Wolfman WR-3 OC Prototype vs. WR-3 SB
Blades: GEM PTFE (1) x 2
Brush: Zenith 502BCK 27mm Blue Cobalt Boar
Soap: Noble Otter - Barrbarr
Finish: Witch Hazel

Shave: With a new blade in each Wolf and handles almost matching in weight, I allocated my right side to the SB and my left to the bold prototype. This is the first time I've attempted a shave-off of this nature; it was a nice adventure.

I always do first pass N→S, so I did my left, then switched to the SB for the right, and there were no surprises: the OC left less behind than the SB. After re-lathering, I decided to finish sides, rather than keep razor swapping.
The OC on the left was ATG, touch-up the neck, BBS.
I started ATG with the SB side, but quickly switched to mostly XTG. Then it was ATG, touch-up, touch-up... that'll do.

It may be down to the fact that my GEM technique is not particularly refined; I don't know. Whatever the reason, in my hands the WR-3 prototype is far sweeter to use than I ever thought a GEM razor could be.

Might be my first SOTD, I can’t remember!

Prep, hot water
Razor, Razorock SLOC
Blade, Lord Silver Star
Brush, something from Boycie of this parish! Not the Beehive.
Soap / Cream, Bond Retro Cream from Make Up (Polish site)
Bowl, don’t laugh. A rubber dog licky mat thing from Amazon. It has nodules / ridges. Really helps with lathering creams!
Post Shave, cold water rinse and then Bond Original A/S

Bowl lathering of the Bond cream was easy. The latter produced was thick and creamy and easy to apply. Smell not overpowering and provided a good level of slickness and protection.

I did a 3 level pass. Could perhaps have got away with a 2 pass. But I like to take my time as shaving is therapeutic for me these days.

Very happy with the results, nice and clean and close shave with no cuts and or weepers.

Last edited:
Thursday AM 2022-01-13
National Rubber Ducky Day
g9yButD.jpg

Rooney Polo 1 Ivory Finest (24/54)
Floris Santal shaving cream (vintage)
LASSC BBS-1/Triad Aristocrat Black
Wilkinson London Bridge (3)
Floris Santal aftershave

A wonderful warm, sandalwood shave on a wet morning. I have always loved the Santal cream. The BBS-1 head has such a deceptively simple design but is one of my two most efficient shavers, especially with a great blade like the London Bridge; and I actually like it better on the smaller Triad handle than on its original stock one.
dDjZGGI.jpg

Thursday 13th January

AM-JKLWY88vjBCZE9WBbfpou-u-s_uQmQKFYPM4FJ_112eSDKFnzxKz-YT8LwL_Bny6el5TV1r_pPVENWDHJcciG1YjBFHEx_xS5wClC_AVhGy5pDFpg1Hh6Djl8f9oe-gl0I_Onx5wNcFmLdDEhfjrY8XPMCw=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Coty Avocado (Vintage) Shaving Bowl
Macy Associates (Vintage) w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre 21mm
Gillette Fusion Limited Edition w/FlexBall
Gillette Fusion5 ProGlide (2)
Avon Black Suede (Vintage) Aftershave

That Coty soap really is something else! Superb, too, first use of my new (to me) bottle of vintage Avon Black Suede which I believe to be 1980s. I've had a super attar on today, Leather Oudh from Oudh al Anfar which mellowed out to a lovely bitter orange and suede which was picked up perfectly by the aftershave.

Champion!

Back
Top Bottom