SOTD : Saturday 8st - Friday 14th August 2020.

The theme was 'Platinum'

View attachment 58235

OMG!

Having gone AWOL for some time on my SOTD's because I am both busy and crap I utterly forgot today was my 20th anniversary shave. This is 20 years for the second time we have been married to each other. Our 'down the aisle' song for our last wedding

Not a platinum razor - RazoRock Hawk V3 on an A plate
Sharper than me - Feather Super Professional
Brush strokes - RazoRock 400
Cream strokes - Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Saying it all in a scent - Blenheim Bouquet

After a whole week of the 'on loan' A plate I must say I am very impressed and also very thankful to @mpf9ret for this opportunity. This is my last time on the A plate as it must go back to its proper owner. I am also thankful that I see me having to purchase one myself in the very near future. These enabling people. Even with the Feather on its last legs it still manages to squeeze one last wonderful performance and my oh my this was one very happy bunny shave.

I also happen to be in lazy mode at the end of a long day and a lazy lather was on the books. To be honest if someone was to ask me the best soap/cream in my little shaving world it would be a toss up between two creams. Penhaligon's Blenheim or Murdock's Avalon. There are soaps which come close but for me these two creams have the edge. And I am a lazy sod as John Lydon sang.

A most bodacious and wonderful shave with a matching scent to add to this evening's shower room wash bowl antics

I think I am falling for you
That is okay. I pushed

To be honest I have enjoyed every year of the past 20. And all those before.............except the divorce part. But as someone tapped me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear at the second wedding, 'Hey Chris. If this isn't illegal then it fucking well should be'

You have seen this before but rather a fitting song for this special day

Happy anniversary :)

The theme was 'Platinum'

View attachment 58235

OMG!

Having gone AWOL for some time on my SOTD's because I am both busy and crap I utterly forgot today was my 20th anniversary shave. This is 20 years for the second time we have been married to each other. Our 'down the aisle' song for our last wedding

After a whole week of the 'on loan' A plate I must say I am very impressed and also very thankful to @mpf9ret for this opportunity. This is my last time on the A plate as it must go back to its proper owner. I am also thankful that I see me having to purchase one myself in the very near future. These enabling people. Even with the Feather on its last legs it still manages to squeeze one last wonderful performance and my oh my this was one very happy bunny shave.

I also happen to be in lazy mode at the end of a long day and a lazy lather was on the books. To be honest if someone was to ask me the best soap/cream in my little shaving world it would be a toss up between two creams. Penhaligon's Blenheim or Murdock's Avalon. There are soaps which come close but for me these two creams have the edge. And I am a lazy sod as John Lydon sang.

A most bodacious and wonderful shave with a matching scent to add to this evening's shower room wash bowl antics

That is okay. I pushed

To be honest I have enjoyed every year of the past 20. And all those before.............except the divorce part. But as someone tapped me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear at the second wedding, 'Hey Chris. If this isn't illegal then it fucking well should be'

@Satanfriendly Happy anniversary to you both, enjoy your day/night ☺

Last edited:
@Satanfriendly Happy Anniversary to you and your good lady.

Not quite so good on the neck, two weepers and a moderate amount of irritation (mr alum made that clear)
I'm enjoying following your shaving progress on the forum. It's possible you may be using too much pressure on your neck. You certainly need some pressure on parts, otherwise the razor you just fall out your hand. Do you manage to get good shaves on your neck with the MÜHLE?
You could try face lathering. I used a bowl to start with, for some reason I face lathered one day and it was a revelation.

_________________________________________​

Pre - Shower / Face wash
Cream - GFT Eucris
Brush - New Forest Badger
Razor - Merkur 34G
Blade - Wilkinson (7)
Post - Alum followed by some moisturiser

Exactly the same set up as yesterday. A nice BBS shave with two and half passes.

@Satanfriendly Happy Anniversary to you and your good lady.

I'm enjoying following your shaving progress on the forum. It's possible you may be using too much pressure on your neck. You certainly need some pressure on parts, otherwise the razor you just fall out your hand. Do you manage to get good shaves on your neck with the MÜHLE?
You could try face lathering. I used a bowl to start with, for some reason I face lathered one day and it was a revelation.

_________________________________________​

Pre - Shower / Face wash
Cream - GFT Eucris
Brush - New Forest Badger
Razor - Merkur 34G
Blade - Wilkinson (7)
Post - Alum followed by some moisturiser

Exactly the same set up as yesterday. A nice BBS shave with two and half passes.

It's been a lot of fun so far, plenty of learning to do, but the result will be worth it.
I think you're right about pressure, and there's possibly a blade angle element to it as well.

For a lot of the neck I'm holding the razor upside down, and find it a little tougher to get the angle right.

I was thinking this over this morning and realised another thing too - when I raise my chin to straighten the neck, and look down, I'm looking under my glasses (and therefore not seeing as well). I should be sure to move the glasses down my nose a touch to ensure I'm looking through them when shaving the neck.

I did get a decent neck shave with the muhle, but it was still not as good as the face. I think the muhle was more forgiving of daft mistakes with blade angle and possibly pressure also.

I have much to work on over the coming week. It'll be fun.

The theme was 'Platinum'

View attachment 58235

OMG!

That is okay. I pushed

Have a magnificent day!

The theme was 'Platinum'

View attachment 58235

OMG!

That is okay. I pushed

Congratulations to you both, Wow 20 years! Again ! :) P

Last edited:
11/08/20
Pre: Cold water Facial Scrub with Whickams pre shave soap.
Brush: JR 355 Maggards Knot
Soap: Stirling Soap co. Lime
Razor: Colonial General V2 Stainless
Blade: Feather PB (3)
Post shave: Cool shower, Cold water splash, TC Bay Rum Splash #1
Balm: Barts Balm Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Vintage Ferd. Mülhens Vintage 4711 EDC
Wk33  (5).jpg
A Wonderful, wonderful shave today. I really enjoy using all my razors, however, without a shadow of doubt the Vector and General give the best results for me. I could not choose between them though as each has its merits.
The JR 355 fitted with a Maggards Synth knot and Stirling soap gave a brilliant, well scented lather.
2 passes resulting in a near BBS finish, therefore, a pick up pass completed to finish the shave BBS and very comfortable.
A quick cold water splash then into the shower for a very cooling wash down, another cold water face rinse, pat down then applied my Bay Rum #1 splash (could not be bothered to make up a batch of witch hazel).
The Barts Balm Lime Lotion and Balm really feeding the face then a splash of Vintage 4711 to finish off.
Sublime!
Stay safe and enjoy your day.

Happy Anniversary to you both @Satanfriendly enjoy your evening

Last edited:
The theme was 'Platinum'

View attachment 58235

OMG!

That is okay. I pushed

Happy Anniversary Chris.

Tue 11th August

Cyril Salter /MS. Ed2band
La Toja stick
ATT SE1 / Windrose handle
Schick Proline [ 7 ]
La Toja A/S Lotion

Today I used one of my longtime favourite AC/SE Razors, which I have kept because it works so well for me. Like all AC/SE Razors it does not like to be rushed, and with a light touch delivers really smooth Shaves, with a truly close finish. Probably the best conventional AC/SE that I now have,though the Hawk V3 with its variable plates could well be a challenger.

IMG_0949.jpg

Whoa! Now Tuesday is a pretty average day in that the weekend is a close but fleeting memory and we are way too far from the next weekend. However, “epic” can still happen and today's shave is a perfect example when all the right components fall into line it can go from “meh” to “wow” pretty quickly.

Razor of choice today the Merkur Progress set to 1 1/2 and loaded with a fresh Voskhod. The Voskhod is my reference blade and I put it in every new to me razor. I know what it can do and what it can't and so I can tell pretty quickly if a razor is going to work for me or not because the blade “variable” has been removed from the equation. The Progress as with my Mergress is an exceptional razor with heft and good looks in abundance. Very rarely does it ever go past 2 on the dial. Smooth and comfortable.

Soap of the day RazoRock Black Bay Which is just an awesome smelling soap. Great performer also but a little thirsty at times to dial in a really slick lather. No such issues today as the EJ synth had no issues whipping up lots of lather.

A brilliant three pass BBS shave achieved. Topped off with the matching Black Bay AS and a spritz of Guerlain Oud Essentiel ...WOW! That folks was an epic shave!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Edwin Jagger Silver Tip Badger Synthetic - 22mm knot
Lather: RazoRock Black Bay
Aftershave: RazoRock Black Bay
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Guerlain Oud Essentiel
020BE094-E44A-49AA-A8F4-7A0489165232.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom