Soap: 1912 Scottish Heather
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Post Shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Witch Hazel with added oils
Balm: E45 / Barts Lime Lotion
Aftershave: CK One
Wilky, Scots heather.jpg

Sunday morning setup,
The £1.50 brush was on special at Wilko's and is a good at picking up the soap (by the way the shelf was full of Palmolive sticks @ 0.75p a pop) and it created a nice slick lather with the 1912, enough for the 3 pass shave. The Tesco £12 razor is well made and looks really nice, Fitted with a new Astra SP i was ready to go.
A very mild but efficient shaver, 3 easy passes without any issues, at no time was there any indication i would be bitten. You can throw this razor around your chops and it is very forgiving. It has given a great result. BBS shave, no indications from the Alum block, really comfortable skin. All positive, the brush did shed a couple of bristles but nothing major.
A cold water rinse and rub of witch hazel and cleaned everything up.
Re Hydrated the face with some E45, i could not resist a little of the Bats Lime AS Lotion and a splash of CK One.
Summary
Using equipment costing less than £15 i have BBS shave, i am comfortable and smell fresh and clean. This equipment will last years and would be a great starter set for the beginner. I am not sure how it would fare against a heavy stubborn beard but it suits mine OK.
So I am ready to visit the Mothership smart as a dart & smelling good.
Have a great Sunday All.

Sunday Shave: 09/06/2019
3f01dba09bcfbb9e354838a3817e9bbb.jpg

[emoji843]Siliski Soaps "Sea Spice"
[emoji843]Brushguy Brush
[emoji843]Schick Injector, Type L1
[emoji843]Schick Injector II Twin blade (1)
[emoji843]Aqua Velva Ice Sport Aftershave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday 9th June

Cold Water Shave
Pears Glycerine Soap
Kent/MWF Shaving Soap
Olive Wood 24mm Maggards 2BB Brush
Univinlions razor with a Proline P (#4)
Witch Hazel
Dove Moisturiser
4711 AS
(Fingers used for shaving also included.....mirror finishes are a real bu**er to photograph close up!)

Not much to shave after yesterday but 2 passes left me smootth as could be.
Enjoy the remainder of the weekend!

9 June

P&B Borealis
MÜHLE XL Silvertip Fibre
Merkur Progress 500 (2.5)
Feather Hi-stainless
Bart's Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine

A87A878C-739C-41B1-B0F0-7BA0E2363939.jpeg
Today's shave was intended as a comparison with yesterday's. The Merkur Progress 500 was originally introduced in 1955, yesterday's Fatboy in 1958. The lather was wonderful again, using another P&B soap and the XL MÜHLE brush. The razor did a great job almost smooth in one pass, smooth in two, achieving a similar result to yesterday's shave. These are two very different adjustable razors from a similar era (only the Gillette Fatboy was original), but both, for me, are capable of a good close shave.

9/6/19

Brush - Zenith B07 (24mm/55mm bleached boar)
Soap - Lea/RSC Cream
Razor - Yaqi DOC head/ Souplex Bakelite handle
Blade - Gillette 7OC Black (10)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum Mentholated

The 7OC Black is one of the sharpest blades of the 60 odd I have used to date, and I found with some other very sharp blades (Nacet, Permasharp, Polsilver SI) they take a few shaves in the mildest razors I own (Techs) to 'settle' them down a bit before I can shift them to something a bit less mild. I was so going to write aggressive but none of the razors I own are aggressive! Just less mild than my Techs. Even so, the 7OC Black in a Yaqi DOC (still a mild head) was still incredibly sharp, but just smooth enough but I still managed to pick a slight little weeper.
I'm deciding to persevere with my Zenith B07 which hasn't yet broken in fully, with quite a few bristles yet to split. I've noticed the bristles seem to be much thicker than the ones of all the Omega brushes I own. The knot of the B07 seems much denser than any other boar I own as well, and to get a lather going it seems to require maybe 3-4 times more shaving cream than if I used a synth brush, but once the lather got going it was a delight to use. I'll probably use the brush to finish up bits and pieces of soap/cream I'm trying to finish before others.
Good shave in the end, despite the weeper.

Anyway chaps, have a good Sunday.

IMG_20190609_110018__01.jpg

Paradigm SE (on loan)
Schick Proline
Umono Super Dense Manchurian
Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere shaving cream
Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere Emulsion

James AKA @Acer89 has very kindly loaned me the Paradigm SE and Blackland Vector...and also included a selection of blades too.

First out was the Paradigm SE. The appearance has split opinion but I'm very much in the position camp. I think it looks stunning and fit and finish is top draw too.

Although the shape of the handle and angle of the head isn't conventional. In the hand it felt very comfortable and the cutting angle was very intuitive and easy to find throughout the shave. No problem shaving underneath the nose and no issues with a slippery handle either.

The shave was smooth and comfortable. Efficiency wise I also found it very good. The feel of the shave is mild but it shaves in a similar way to the ATT S2, which is mild and deceptively efficient. Very much up my street.

Would I buy one? Yes. I just need to find one...oh and more importantly, afford one.

Next up The Vector.

A massive thank you to James for giving me the opportunity to try this beautiful razor.

Have a good week Gents.

Cheers
Rob

Back
Top Bottom