9/9/19

Brush - Omega 80265
Soap - Intesa Cream
Razor - Yaqi DOC
Blade - Astra SP (8)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Nivea Cooling
AS - Benjamins Pimento Bay Rum

I've been having some problems with my Omega 80265 for a while, a brush I have had for a while that used to perform superbly but now it seems to eat lather and the performance has diminished greatly. I've tried cleaning it a few time to see if excess soap scum was the culprit but nothing seems to work. A bit of a head scratcher!

Anyway chaps have a good start to the week.

Have you tried synths? I've never looked back; and wouldn't even consider animal brushes. For me, synthetics out perform any boar and badger brushes - no soaking, quick to dry, negligible bristle loss; and more animal friendly. Mileage and all that; not preaching.

hpGOFKb.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Soap: Antica Barbieria Colla
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: NOS Gillette 'Spoiler' (1)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, Musgo Real Aftershave Balm
Scent: Chanel Pour Monsieur EdT

Lovely three pass shave. The ABC soap is luxurious in the best possible way; a short load results in vast quantities of lather of the highest quality.
A generous spray of Chanel Pour Monsieur, and I am suitably refreshed and ready for the Conference.

Have you tried synths? I've never looked back; and wouldn't even consider animal brushes. For me, synthetics out perform any boar and badger brushes - no soaking, quick to dry, negligible bristle loss; and more animal friendly. Mileage and all that; not preaching.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a few excellent Yaqi synths, and I do use them on a regular basis. As superb performers as they are I still enjoy using boar brushes (never owned a badger though), but I'm finding myself getting a little frustrated with a few of the boars I own. I can generally tolerate a few bristles lost here and there, and the soaking time isn't something that bothers me but brushes eating lather/not being efficient is something that drives me crazy!

What are your synths of choice? I have 3 Yaqi's in my rotation, Rainbow/Faux Horse, Myserious Blue/Fan Tuxedo, Barbershop/Plissoft. All superb brushes.

View attachment 47294

Razorock "Old Type" on Weber Bulldog
Omega 10066 Boar
Vitos Extra Super Cocco
Thayers Original Astringent

What a delight the Razorock Old Type has turned out to be; cost new about $5 a while ago and yet it delivers an easy, close, comfortable shave - a winner and I would recommend this razor over and above the Edwin Jagger / Muhle 89. The low profile head gives it agility. The chrome plating is excellent; good audible feedback; intuitive angle; smooth and just about risk free even with a sharp blade . I have enjoyed this razor so much that I have posted a WTB for an original Gillette Old Type, which I understand is different in use but has none the less peaked my interest. The Omega 10066 and the Vitos Red are also superb performers and again inexpensive. Now, if only I could send a text to my teenage self - ditch the cartridges and canned foam - buy a Razorock Old Type, Omega Boar, and Vitos Red - use the money you will save on women, booze and drugs :).

Omega + Vitos = WIN.

IMO, the RR Old Type is a touch more efficient but even smoother than a real OT and I prefer the RR version. I don't own the RR version but the Yaqi one, but the impression is it's the same one (they seem to be a supplier for RR). A little more efficient, but the Yaqi DOC/Mellon/RR SLOC is also a superb razor head, aside from the Tech it's my favourite razor head by quite some distance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I have a few excellent Yaqi synths, and I do use them on a regular basis. As superb performers as they are I still enjoy using boar brushes (never owned a badger though), but I'm finding myself getting a little frustrated with a few of the boars I own. I can generally tolerate a few bristles lost here and there, and the soaking time isn't something that bothers me but brushes eating lather/not being efficient is something that drives me crazy!

What are your synths of choice? I have 3 Yaqi's in my rotation, Rainbow/Faux Horse, Myserious Blue/Fan Tuxedo, Barbershop/Plissoft. All superb brushes.

I use RazoRocks primrarily. The 24mm black handle fellow, the 24mm BC ‘Silvertip' and the 22mm ‘Disrupter'. They perform brilliantly. My Yaqi Red Tuxedo is excellent too. Not quite up there with the Rocks (quality control). My travel synth is a Kent Infinity. Very springy; lots of backbone. A great face latherer.

10/9/19

WP_20190910_003.jpg

Omega 80265.
It's not you but it's me. No, sorry that's wrong, it's all you.
You used to be scrubby and create a great lather.
Now all you do is eat lather and I'm trying hard to make it work but it's so much more effort than is healthy for the both of us.
It's probably best you leave.
I'm sorry 80265, we had some great times but you're going to leave the sunny climates of my shelf to live in the dark cupboard with the other disgraced brushes.
Make sure Goblins don't steal my block of Vitos Red.

Omega + Vitos = WIN.

IMO, the RR Old Type is a touch more efficient but even smoother than a real OT and I prefer the RR version. I don't own the RR version but the Yaqi one, but the impression is it's the same one (they seem to be a supplier for RR). A little more efficient, but the Yaqi DOC/Mellon/RR SLOC is also a superb razor head, aside from the Tech it's my favourite razor head by quite some distance.

...good to hear that the RR is a touch more efficient and smoother; I may not chase the original quite as hard. The SLOC head sounds interesting - off I go to the Yaqi site . I agree, there is something about Italian croaps and boars for sure. A badger or synthetic with an Italian croap just seems wrong :) ...

Back
Top Bottom