SOTD : Saturday 6th October - Friday 12th October 2018.

Hello my friend
npMv2Sz.gif
giphy.gif

Sotd - Tuesday the 2nd & today - the 6th of October -

2/10 -

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
blade - Aussie Spoiler (6)
brush - Simpsons Wee Scot LE
soap - Haslinger sheep
post - witch hazel
a/s - Nivea 2 in 1
balm - none
scent - Dior Eau Sauvage edp.

6/10 - today - about an hour ago -

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
blade - Aussie Spoiler (7)
brush - Yaqi 24mm High Mountain White
soap - RazoRock Puros tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco
scent - Creed Tabarome parfum.

Result - all good.

I thought - after my last posted shave - using the Maseto 30mm silver tip - to go to the opposite end of the brush scale - the Wee Scot - it never fails to put a smile on my face when I use it - looks like a novelty item - it isn't. Superb - if you haven't tried one - I'd recommend it to you - especially if you are a fan of the diminutive Haslinger soaps - which I certainly am - they suit each other a treat. Talking of brushes - when do you have a problem with buying shaving kit - how do you define it? In my case - when you go raking about at the back of the den to find a new bottle of witch hazel - and find a completely new - never seen water - Maseto 30mm two band - still in its box. That is a wake up call - surely? I was hither-to feeling good about myself for not bursting for any of the - astonishingly - gorgeous - range of knots for sale on BST recently. I was glad that the ones I really wanted went quickly - saved me from myself. Must resist. Whoever bought the Vie Long Anniversary - well done - I already own one - it is a spectacularly beautiful brush. The best two band I own - by a country mile. Ha ha - it saves us money - shaving this way - doesn't it? Ha ha. BBS at the moment - and smelling lush - thanks to the Creed. Enjoy your shaves - one and all - yours - I.

Oh -

The Black Civet Gang - Part the Second

The Suffolk coast - just outside Dunwich - a storm reminiscent of the Grote Mandrenke rages - two men - fight to stay on their feet - it is almost impenetrably dark - save for the frequent flashes of lightening - serving to illuminate their way. The great detective is following a path - a scent - only he - apparently - can perceive. His companion struggling to keep up. Watson is unnerved - even above the howl of the wind - swearing he can hear the tolling of church bells from sea - a funereal peal. His bravery is not in doubt - it needs no proving - an Afghan field - Maiwand - 1880 - facing vastly superior Pashtun forces - a dark day for the British Indian Army - tending to a fallen comrade under heavy fire - taking a near fatal wound from a jezail bullet - but this night scares him in a different way. His thought processes - as ever - obvious to Holmes -

‘Steady hand - Watson - the game is afoot - hold your nerve.'

The Black Civet gang had been contained - the Malay Lascars that survived the gun fight in Hornbeam Lane - Sergeant Giddens was recognised for his bravery in the engagement - had been arrested by the official force - safely behind bars - although - the shadowy Muscovy agents behind the sedition against the queen - had vanished into thin air - no doubt seeking passage to the Baltic or Constantinople - under assumed names. The plot had been penetrated by Holmes - in the guise of Noah ‘Dinks' Gibbons - an Australian prospector and freebooter - who - apparently - was seeking a working berth on a schooner to Borneo - to pursue his next - get rich - claim. Leaving Baker Street every day for two weeks - before dawn - in disguise - such was his talent for mimicry - a loss to the stage but a boon to the science of detection - returning after dark - spending his time around Chatham docks - the network had been uncovered - piece by piece. One thing remained though - where was the stockpile of munitions and explosives the gang had smuggled in? - enough to launch a revolution. Missed by Inspector Tobias Gregson of Scotland Yard - in the search of the hideout in Hornbeam Lane - but not by Holmes - was the torn remnant of a ticket stub from London to the Suffolk coast - annotated with Cyrillic script. The final part of the jigsaw. The location of the weapons cache.

Flashes - of an animal - stalking them - its eyes reflecting in the beam of their dark lanterns - the outline of a tail - disappearing into the undergrowth - somewhat bigger than a cat - smaller than a dog.

‘We are being circled Holmes - hunted - by what?'

‘I don't know Watson - I have a terrible suspicion - prepare your revolver - be ready. Remember the Grimpen Mire - remember Gandamak.'

Stock still in the darkness - waiting - suddenly - forked lightening - simultaneously the muzzle flash from Watson's Browning - interrupting the arc of the animal - seeking Holmes' throat - the 0.38 round stopping it in mid-air - dropping dead at his feet.

“Dear Lord - what is it?'

‘My God - Watson - the black civet - I never understood they existed - thinking them a myth to put terror into the gang's foes - a Sumatran legend - you saved my life.'

Silence.

‘Enough adventure for one night - my dear friend - let us seek lodgings - and we will contact Gregson in the morning.'

The End.

Prep: Shower with Nivea Sensitive Face Wash
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Gillette Slim Twist
Blade: Personna Stainless (2)
AS: Superdrug Forest Fresh
ASB: Barts Balm Cinnamon and Patchouli

Lazy afternoon shave today, getting to know the Slim Twist. Feels a bit more bulky than my other razors but still easy to get to the tricky areas under the nose. Not sure it'll be the daily driver but a nice comfortable shave with the Personna.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Cheers

Steve
20181006_152818.jpg

Last edited:

2/10 -

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
soap - Haslinger sheep
post - witch hazel
a/s - Nivea 2 in 1
balm - none

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco

Result - all good.

I thought - after my last posted shave - using the Maseto 30mm silver tip - to go to the opposite end of the brush scale - the Wee Scot - it never fails to put a smile on my face when I use it - looks like a novelty item - it isn't. Superb - if you haven't tried one - I'd recommend it to you - especially if you are a fan of the diminutive Haslinger soaps - which I certainly am - they suit each other a treat. Talking of brushes - when do you have a problem with buying shaving kit - how do you define it? In my case - when you go raking about at the back of the den to find a new bottle of witch hazel - and find a completely new - never seen water - Maseto 30mm two band - still in its box. That is a wake up call - surely? I was hither-to feeling good about myself for not bursting for any of the - astonishingly - gorgeous - range of knots for sale on BST recently. I was glad that the ones I really wanted went quickly - saved me from myself. Must resist. Whoever bought the Vie Long Anniversary - well done - I already own one - it is a spectacularly beautiful brush. The best two band I own - by a country mile. Ha ha - it saves us money - shaving this way - doesn't it? Ha ha. BBS at the moment - and smelling lush - thanks to the Creed. Enjoy your shaves - one and all - yours - I.

Oh -

The Suffolk coast - just outside Dunwich - a storm reminiscent of the Grote Mandrenke rages - two men - fight to stay on their feet - it is almost impenetrably dark - save for the frequent flashes of lightening - serving to illuminate their way. The great detective is following a path - a scent - only he - apparently - can perceive. His companion struggling to keep up. Watson is unnerved - even above the howl of the wind - swearing he can hear the tolling of church bells from sea - a funereal peal. His bravery is not in doubt - it needs no proving - an Afghan field - Maiwand - 1880 - facing vastly superior Pashtun forces - a dark day for the British Indian Army - tending to a fallen comrade under heavy fire - taking a near fatal wound from a jezail bullet - but this night scares him in a different way. His thought processes - as ever - obvious to Holmes -

The Black Civet gang had been contained - the Malay Lascars that survived the gun fight in Hornbeam Lane - Sergeant Giddens was recognised for his bravery in the engagement - had been arrested by the official force - safely behind bars - although - the shadowy Muscovy agents behind the sedition against the queen - had vanished into thin air - no doubt seeking passage to the Baltic or Constantinople - under assumed names. The plot had been penetrated by Holmes - in the guise of Noah ‘Dinks' Gibbons - an Australian prospector and freebooter - who - apparently - was seeking a working berth on a schooner to Borneo - to pursue his next - get rich - claim. Leaving Baker Street every day for two weeks - before dawn - in disguise - such was his talent for mimicry - a loss to the stage but a boon to the science of detection - returning after dark - spending his time around Chatham docks - the network had been uncovered - piece by piece. One thing remained though - where was the stockpile of munitions and explosives the gang had smuggled in? - enough to launch a revolution. Missed by Inspector Tobias Gregson of Scotland Yard - in the search of the hideout in Hornbeam Lane - but not by Holmes - was the torn remnant of a ticket stub from London to the Suffolk coast - annotated with Cyrillic script. The final part of the jigsaw. The location of the weapons cache.

Flashes - of an animal - stalking them - its eyes reflecting in the beam of their dark lanterns - the outline of a tail - disappearing into the undergrowth - somewhat bigger than a cat - smaller than a dog.

‘I don't know Watson - I have a terrible suspicion - prepare your revolver - be ready. Remember the Grimpen Mire - remember Gandamak.'

Stock still in the darkness - waiting - suddenly - forked lightening - simultaneously the muzzle flash from Watson's Browning - interrupting the arc of the animal - seeking Holmes' throat - the 0.38 round stopping it in mid-air - dropping dead at his feet.

‘My God - Watson - the black civet - I never understood they existed - thinking them a myth to put terror into the gang's foes - a Sumatran legend - you saved my life.'

Silence.

‘Enough adventure for one night - my dear friend - let us seek lodgings - and we will contact Gregson in the morning.'

The End.
A ripping yarn, well done :) P.

2/10 -

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
soap - Haslinger sheep
post - witch hazel
a/s - Nivea 2 in 1
balm - none

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco

Result - all good.

Oh -

Silence.

The End.
The perfect antidote to a wet, dreary afternoon. What a great read! We are lucky to have you amongst us Iain. I'm sure I have seen that Aussie cove. Very disreputable looking. But remarkably clean shaven.

20181006_134154.jpg

Paradigm Titanium II
Gillette 365
Declaration Grooming Jefferson B5
Declaration Grooming La Fôret De Liguest
Myrsol Emulsion

First time using the Icarus base so I'll refrain from giving my thoughts for the time being.

The scent: It's got a touch of TSM Fougère but with some sweetness and talcum powder. It actually reminds me of The Trail by Noble Otter but not as sweet.

Not the best description but the best I can do.

Enjoy your weekend gents.

Cheers
Rob

image.jpg

~SOTD~ October 6th

Prep ~ Shower, D.R. Harris Almond Oil Soap
Razor ~ Karve Shaving Co - D Plate fitted (On Loan)
Blade ~ Vintage Gillette Rubie, Made in London
Soap ~ Wickham V2 Sample
Brush ~ Zennith 26mm Manchurian
Post ~ Antica Barbieria Colla Aftershave Lotion
Scent ~ Penhalligon's Sartoral Edt

A big shout going out to @Barry Giddens for lending me his Karve razor, many thanks my friend, I've been eyeing the Karve razor since they were released and have been impressed by the good press they have been getting.
I placed a vintage Gillette Rubie blade into the razor and was pleased with the snug fit, no blade wobble going on here!
Being brass it retained heat well so when I pulled it from the cup of hot water I had it standing in it was beautifully warm against my skin.
It has a reassuring weight to it for a relatively small razor but not too heavy, just right.
The shave, I whipped up the WIckham V2 soap with ease and in no time at all, the lather was slick and offered plenty of cushion, it had a clean fresh scent like freshlly laundered linen, very nice indeed.
The Karve was mild and smooth yet very effective, i was left with super smooth supple feeling skin, I wonder what a E plate would feel like......I feel a purchase coming on :)
This perfect shave was finnished off with a few sprays of Penhaligon's Sartoral Edt, perfect.

Untill the next time.........Paul.

First ever bath shave
Razor - Gillette Tech
Blade - Gillette yellow 7 o'clock (2)
Brush - Vulfix 404 with a synthetic knot
Cream - The Real Shave Company
Post - Proraso menthol splash & Palmers Cocoa Butter stuff

Also featuring:

Nature's Ingredient's Aloa Vera foaming bath stuff
Wife's hand held make-up mirror

Jolly nice shave & experience all round. Plus, I'm now " smooth & delicately scented"

withnailandicomparerullyf6.png

First ever bath shave
Razor - Gillette Tech
Blade - Gillette yellow 7 o'clock (2)
Brush - Vulfix 404 with a synthetic knot
Cream - The Real Shave Company
Post - Proraso menthol splash & Palmers Cocoa Butter stuff

Also featuring:

Nature's Ingredient's Aloa Vera foaming bath stuff
Wife's hand held make-up mirror

Jolly nice shave & experience all round. Plus, I'm now " smooth & delicately scented"

withnailandicomparerullyf6.png

Must try shaving the bath sometime, I usually get bored in the bath so having a shave as well seems like a good idea. BTW is that still from Withnail and I?

Saturday 6th October 2018
SOTD.jpg

Pre shave: Warm shower and Bulldog face wash + Noxzema shave Cream
Razor: Schick B2
Blade: Schick - China (#3)
Soap: Vitos Super Extra
Brush: Rooney Silvertip
Bowl: Korium
Post shave: Alum block, cold water splash and Thayer's Cucumber witch hazel
AS: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey
EDT: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey

Monday 1st October - Friday 5th October
5 Shaves with the same gear
Prep: Hot water face wash Pears Lemon Flower Soap
Soap: Wickham Classic 24
Brush: Yaqi 28mm tux
Bowl: Timeless Travel
Razor: Rockwell 6C plate 5
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium ( i think these will do at least 7 shaves for me )
Asb: Bart's Barm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine
As: Bart's Barm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine
5 days and 5 wonderful shaves

View attachment 38764

~SOTD~ October 6th

Prep ~ Shower, D.R. Harris Almond Oil Soap
Razor ~ Karve Shaving Co - D Plate fitted (On Loan)
Blade ~ Vintage Gillette Rubie, Made in London
Soap ~ Wickham V2 Sample
Brush ~ Zennith 26mm Manchurian
Post ~ Antica Barbieria Colla Aftershave Lotion
Scent ~ Penhalligon's Sartoral Edt

A big shout going out to @Barry Giddens for lending me his Karve razor, many thanks my friend, I've been eyeing the Karve razor since they were released and have been impressed by the good press they have been getting.
I placed a vintage Gillette Rubie blade into the razor and was pleased with the snug fit, no blade wobble going on here!
Being brass it retained heat well so when I pulled it from the cup of hot water I had it standing in it was beautifully warm against my skin.
It has a reassuring weight to it for a relatively small razor but not too heavy, just right.
The shave, I whipped up the WIckham V2 soap with ease and in no time at all, the lather was slick and offered plenty of cushion, it had a clean fresh scent like freshlly laundered linen, very nice indeed.
The Karve was mild and smooth yet very effective, i was left with super smooth supple feeling skin, I wonder what a E plate would feel like......I feel a purchase coming on :)
This perfect shave was finnished off with a few sprays of Penhaligon's Sartoral Edt, perfect.

Untill the next time.........Paul.
You're welcome Paul. I'm glad you like it. I know you are itching to give it a good polish, but leave that cloth in its draw!

Back
Top Bottom