9HdOiLn.jpg

Donga Shave at Camp in Great Sandy Desert

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Wholly Kaw Kind of Oud
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington

Back at the camp with the unholiest hard water. Trialled addition of Citric acid as a softening agent to lather water.
It made a tangible improvement to the lather - still not up to normal standards, but acceptable.

The improved lather allowed me to go for a third ATG pass, whereas I normally cut my losses and stick with two passes at this location.
Ended up with a very nice BBS shave. I could also tell that the lather and subsequent shave was improved by the skin sensation when I applied the Alt Innsbruck Emulsion post-shave.
It is normally a bit of damage control, but on this occasion, it was simply a delightful bracing finale.

Sotd - the 6th of July -

Razor - Schick L2
blade - Schick modern twin (lost count)
soap - Kent hard soap - tallow
brush - Simpsons Chubby 1 - best
post - witch hazel
a/s - Tabac
balm - De Vergulde Hand
scent - Tabac edt.

Result - splendid.

In an act of solidarity with our fine sibling @Blademonkey - and his heroic month long quest to rid the world of the scourge of MWF - I went for the Kent today - yes - I know - different names - but to my understanding they are the same thing in all but nomenclature and packaging - identical ingredients. A very fine soap indeed - slickness and post feel - the match of artisan soaps costing much more - unless you have an issue with non-vegetarian products - you should try it. I'd be interested P. - assuming you started with a fresh cake - or puck - what remains at the end? Do post a picture. I wanted to use my ATT Calypso today - but I couldn't find any fresh Prolines - I'll have another look before tomorrow's shave. Using the Schick was considerably less than the end of the world - a fine razor. Safe and efficient. A bit dull though? So - no picture today - I can't multi-task - that's a talent my partner has - but I don't - I did research and write something - which you are welcome to read if you are interested. Job done - enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

'The Consolations of Philosophy'

Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius - (b.?475 - d.524) - Senator, Consul, translator and philosopher - born into an elite Roman family - he was related to at least two former emperors - is a good example of the shift from the old classical order to the medieval. He was about as well educated as you could be in western Europe at the time - fluent in Latin and Greek - producing a prodigious body of work on myriad subjects - his translations of Socrates and Plato were pretty much the only ones available until the mid c.12th - his facility with Greek was unusual in his time and place - taken with his distinctly - and unmistakable - Platonic reasoning - leading many to suggest his schooling was in the east - Alexandria is commonly mentioned - but I think this is dubious - it more likely is a result of that his foster father Memmius Symmachus could himself write and speak the language. Initially things went well for Boethius - he married and had a family with Symmachus' daughter - by his mid 20's he was both a senator - granted, a largely ceremonial role by this point - and had been appointed ‘magister officiarum' to King Theodoric the Great - the second barbarian ruler of what was left of the western Roman empire - in modern terms - the head of the civil service - a lofty position for one so young. His misfortunes start in 523 when he is accused of conducting a treasonous correspondence with the eastern emperor Justin - was there any truth in the allegation? Difficult to say - his fall from grace was likely a combination of factors - Boethius didn't help himself by publicly defending a friend and fellow senator who almost certainly was working against the king - Theodoric was beset by problems at the time - he suspected the eastern emperor was planning to invade his territories - ultimately he was proved right - Justin's successor Justinian did just that in 536 - well he didn't - he never left Constantinople - his general Belisarius did - reducing the Ostrogothic kingdom to virtually nothing. Religious factors played a role - there is pretty much no evidence that Boethius was a Christian - more a Platonist that was sympathetic to it - there is not much difficulty in reconciling the former with the later - unlike Aristotle. Theodoric was a Christian - just the ‘wrong' sort - Arian not Catholic - this form of faith was being persecuted in the east and slowly but surely the barbarian western kingdoms were accepting the authority of Catholicism - the king was becoming ever more isolated. What would have counted against Boethius was that he was a vocal advocate of reconciliation between the Roman See and that of Constantinople. Either way - after a ‘show trial' - the three men who testified against him were of highly dubious character - he was convicted and imprisoned - Theodoric would decide his fate a year later. During his incarceration he composed his greatest work - one of the most influential philosophical tracts of the entire medieval period - ‘De consolatione philosophiae' - the ‘Consolations of Philosophy.' It is often considered to be a Christian book - including by the church - then and now - which regards him a martyr and made Boethius a saint - it isn't - there is not a single mention of Christianity or Jesus in it - there is reference to a ‘one true good' but this is entirely consistent with a Platonic world view - he doesn't refer to god once. Some seek to find evidence of the influence of St. Paul in it - but this - at best - is a tortuous process and doesn't hold water for me. It takes the form of an imagined dialogue between the author and philosophy - personified as a woman - again - you don't get a much more Platonic construction than that - and concerns itself with the problems of theodicy - how can wrong exist alongside a creator that is the perfect good? - why do bad things happen to good people? - very real issues for Boethius at the time - remarkably there is not the merest hint of self-pity in the text. It is best known for his solution to reconciling human free will with ‘divine' foreknowledge - an argument as elegantly simple as it is deft. There isn't space here to go into it - you can look it up if you are interested. So - the year passed - Boethius was taken to a remote country estate and executed. He was interred next to St Augustine in Pavia - nice - the latter's journey to Christianity was via Neo-Platonism - they would have agreed on much.
Yes Ian, it was a nearly a new puck of MWF, well it was a new one that had been mashed together with my old puck that was coming to an end so maybe slightly bigger than from the wrapper! I will take photos none the less to see how much of a dent I put in the soap. I don't bloom or soak the soap, I just take a very damp brush to it and within two miniutss I have a stable creamy slick lather.
Some of the first Shave of the day photos had just the soap out of the pot so you can see how the soap started.
I thought it would be hard to stick to one soap only but because it's a fantastic soap I'm not wishing I was using another, it's very slick and only has a clean light smell ( T o my nose ) so doesn't get too much.
If the shave police came knocking in a different time than today I could quite easily use the state controlled shaving soap called "The Fat" that would be handed out once every six months along with a Special Tech and locked blade while soft background music played as the meds were handed out!

Last edited:
9HdOiLn.jpg

Donga Shave at Camp in Great Sandy Desert

Prep:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Wholly Kaw Kind of Oud
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington

Back at the camp with the unholiest hard water. Trialled addition of Citric acid as a softening agent to lather water.
It made a tangible improvement to the lather - still not up to normal standards, but acceptable.

The improved lather allowed me to go for a third ATG pass, whereas I normally cut my losses and stick with two passes at this location.
Ended up with a very nice BBS shave. I could also tell that the lather and subsequent shave was improved by the skin sensation when I applied the Alt Innsbruck Emulsion post-shave.
It is normally a bit of damage control, but on this occasion, it was simply a delightful bracing finale.
Congratulations on the sucsess of your water softening compound - Bush Chemistry! I hope you are well mate. P.

Sotd - the 6th of July -

Razor - Schick L2
blade - Schick modern twin (lost count)
soap - Kent hard soap - tallow
brush - Simpsons Chubby 1 - best
post - witch hazel
a/s - Tabac
balm - De Vergulde Hand
scent - Tabac edt.

Result - splendid.

In an act of solidarity with our fine sibling @Blademonkey - and his heroic month long quest to rid the world of the scourge of MWF - I went for the Kent today - yes - I know - different names - but to my understanding they are the same thing in all but nomenclature and packaging - identical ingredients. A very fine soap indeed - slickness and post feel - the match of artisan soaps costing much more - unless you have an issue with non-vegetarian products - you should try it. I'd be interested P. - assuming you started with a fresh cake - or puck - what remains at the end? Do post a picture. I wanted to use my ATT Calypso today - but I couldn't find any fresh Prolines - I'll have another look before tomorrow's shave. Using the Schick was considerably less than the end of the world - a fine razor. Safe and efficient. A bit dull though? So - no picture today - I can't multi-task - that's a talent my partner has - but I don't - I did research and write something - which you are welcome to read if you are interested. Job done - enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

'The Consolations of Philosophy'

Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius - (b.?475 - d.524) - Senator, Consul, translator and philosopher - born into an elite Roman family - he was related to at least two former emperors - is a good example of the shift from the old classical order to the medieval. He was about as well educated as you could be in western Europe at the time - fluent in Latin and Greek - producing a prodigious body of work on myriad subjects - his translations of Socrates and Plato were pretty much the only ones available until the mid c.12th - his facility with Greek was unusual in his time and place - taken with his distinctly - and unmistakable - Platonic reasoning - leading many to suggest his schooling was in the east - Alexandria is commonly mentioned - but I think this is dubious - it more likely is a result of that his foster father Memmius Symmachus could himself write and speak the language. Initially things went well for Boethius - he married and had a family with Symmachus' daughter - by his mid 20's he was both a senator - granted, a largely ceremonial role by this point - and had been appointed ‘magister officiarum' to King Theodoric the Great - the second barbarian ruler of what was left of the western Roman empire - in modern terms - the head of the civil service - a lofty position for one so young. His misfortunes start in 523 when he is accused of conducting a treasonous correspondence with the eastern emperor Justin - was there any truth in the allegation? Difficult to say - his fall from grace was likely a combination of factors - Boethius didn't help himself by publicly defending a friend and fellow senator who almost certainly was working against the king - Theodoric was beset by problems at the time - he suspected the eastern emperor was planning to invade his territories - ultimately he was proved right - Justin's successor Justinian did just that in 536 - well he didn't - he never left Constantinople - his general Belisarius did - reducing the Ostrogothic kingdom to virtually nothing. Religious factors played a role - there is pretty much no evidence that Boethius was a Christian - more a Platonist that was sympathetic to it - there is not much difficulty in reconciling the former with the latter - unlike Aristotle. Theodoric was a Christian - just the ‘wrong' sort - Arian not Catholic - this form of faith was being persecuted in the east and slowly but surely the barbarian western kingdoms were accepting the authority of Catholicism - the king was becoming ever more isolated. What would have counted against Boethius was that he was a vocal advocate of reconciliation between the Roman See and that of Constantinople. Either way - after a ‘show trial' - the three men who testified against him were of highly dubious character - he was convicted and imprisoned - Theodoric would decide his fate a year later. During his incarceration he composed his greatest work - one of the most influential philosophical tracts of the entire medieval period - ‘De consolatione philosophiae' - the ‘Consolations of Philosophy.' It is often considered to be a Christian book - including by the church - then and now - which regards him a martyr and made Boethius a saint - it isn't - there is not a single mention of Christianity or Jesus in it - there is reference to a ‘one true good' but this is entirely consistent with a Platonic world view - he doesn't refer to god once. Some seek to find evidence of the influence of St. Paul in it - but this - at best - is a tortuous process and doesn't hold water for me. It takes the form of an imagined dialogue between the author and philosophy - personified as a woman - again - you don't get a much more Platonic construction than that - and concerns itself with the problems of theodicy - how can wrong exist alongside a creator that is the perfect good? - why do bad things happen to good people? - very real issues for Boethius at the time - remarkably there is not the merest hint of self-pity in the text. It is best known for his solution to reconciling human free will with ‘divine' foreknowledge - an argument as elegantly simple as it is deft. There isn't space here to go into it - you can look it up if you are interested. So - the year passed - Boethius was taken to a remote country estate and executed. He was interred next to St Augustine in Pavia - nice - the latter's journey to Christianity was via Neo-Platonism - they would have agreed on much.
That was a splendid read over my first cup of tea of the day. You are in a rich vein of form Iain.

SOTD : 7th JULY 2019.

10.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ L'OREAL ~ Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face & head.

Pears ~ Lemon Flower Extracts Transparent Soap.

Brush: Omega S10018.

Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Bowl Lather.

Uber/Superlather: Williams Mug Shaving Soap /Ingram Menthol shaving cream + 6 Drops of Glycerin.

Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium.(1)

Razor: Gillette ~ 1950's Ball End Tech.

Cold Water face & head Rinse./Homemade menthol crystals +Eucalyptus peppermint,+ Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Williams ~ Aqua Velva ASL. (Euro Version.)

Cien ~ Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

Greetings,

Another wonderfully relaxing Williams Superlather sunday Face & head shave.

I've only recently had my vintage gillette tech's returned to me after been loaned out to a work mate for quite a long time.The 1950's ball end tech is a superb razor paired together with the polsilver s.i. was a excellent duo mowing through my face & head stubble effortlessly.

A comfortable 3 pass + pick ups silky smooth face & head shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of Cien ~ Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

My face & precious swede are feeling 'Kojak Smooth' & smelling old school devine.
;)
;)

Enjoy your Sunday Ladies & Gentlemen.
:cool:
:cool:

07/07/19
Pre shave prep: 1912 Scottish Heather
Brush: Yaqi Familia Sagrada
Soap: 1912 Scottish Heather
Razor: Razorock GC 0.84
Blade: NOS Perma Sharp Supreme (3)
Post Shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Witch Hazel with added oils
Balm: Barts Bergamot and Vanilla
Aftershave: JPG Le Male'

GC YFS 1912SH.jpg

Sunday morning shave, todays razor of choice is the Gamechanger loaded with a NOS 1960's Perma Sharp Supreme. A very smooth blade.
Like all the 1912 soaps I have used a well fragranced lather mixed up in no time with the little Yaqi.
Not a lot to go at today so only 2 passes needed. WTG and a XTG/ATG mix, no buffing required.
A nice Post shave routine leaving me with a fantastic overall shave today.
Feeling good, Smelling good and ready to visit the Mothership.
Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom