SOTD : Saturday 6th July - Friday 12th July 2019

Saturday 6th July
Yaqi Aluminium Tux - De Vergulde Hand - GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf - GEM SSC #10 - Alum - Superdrug Forest Fresh A/S - Malibu Aloe Vera Moisturising Gel
78d61Xl.jpg

Haven't used the DVH for a while. What a lovely soap it is.
I usually use a body Moisturising cream for one of my post shave routines, but have now discovered this Aloe Vera aftersun gel which is excellent. It has little fragrance so doesn't impact on other scents, plus gives great post shave face feel.

Saturday 6th July

Soap - Valobra Menthol Croap
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow
Razor - Wilkinsons Classic DE
Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India)
Post - Witch Hazel

A bit of an underwhelming lather with the Valobra today, which of all the many Italian croaps I have tried seems to be the one I find to be a let down as the lather doesn't really have much cushion, scent or slickness.

Anyway chaps, have a good Saturday.

Saturday keeping it simple SOTD

Palmolive Stick
YaqI 24mm Tuxedo Red Marble Handle
Rockwell 6C plate 4
GSB (?)
Blue Stratos ASL

Lost count how many times I have used this GSB blade, but it was very smooth and still sharp.
Excellent performance from the Palmolive Stick as usual.
Blue Stratos to finish and I'm smooth and smelling sweet after a day of being on call in this muggy weather

Fri 5th July
Prep: Hot face wash Pears Glycerine
Soap: Declaration Sweet Lemon
Brush: Yaqi 28mm Tux
Bowl: Timeless
Razor: Gillette Flare Tip
Blade: Sharp Star (3)
AS: Superdrug Sierran Breeze
ASB: Body Shop Kistna
Sat 6th
Prep: Cold face wash Pears Lemon Flower
Soap: London Oatcake Abyss
Brush: Maggard Red Swirl 24mm Tux
Bowl: Timeless
Razor: Gillette Flare Tip
Blade: Sharp Star (4)
AS: Denim Aqua
PSB: L'Oreal All in One
EDT: Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua (2016)

Sotd - the 6th of July -

Razor - Schick L2
blade - Schick modern twin (lost count)
soap - Kent hard soap - tallow
brush - Simpsons Chubby 1 - best
post - witch hazel
a/s - Tabac
balm - De Vergulde Hand
scent - Tabac edt.

Result - splendid.

In an act of solidarity with our fine sibling @Blademonkey - and his heroic month long quest to rid the world of the scourge of MWF - I went for the Kent today - yes - I know - different names - but to my understanding they are the same thing in all but nomenclature and packaging - identical ingredients. A very fine soap indeed - slickness and post feel - the match of artisan soaps costing much more - unless you have an issue with non-vegetarian products - you should try it. I'd be interested P. - assuming you started with a fresh cake - or puck - what remains at the end? Do post a picture. I wanted to use my ATT Calypso today - but I couldn't find any fresh Prolines - I'll have another look before tomorrow's shave. Using the Schick was considerably less than the end of the world - a fine razor. Safe and efficient. A bit dull though? So - no picture today - I can't multi-task - that's a talent my partner has - but I don't - I did research and write something - which you are welcome to read if you are interested. Job done - enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

'The Consolations of Philosophy'

Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius - (b.?475 - d.524) - Senator, Consul, translator and philosopher - born into an elite Roman family - he was related to at least two former emperors - is a good example of the shift from the old classical order to the medieval. He was about as well educated as you could be in western Europe at the time - fluent in Latin and Greek - producing a prodigious body of work on myriad subjects - his translations of Socrates and Plato were pretty much the only ones available until the mid c.12th - his facility with Greek was unusual in his time and place - taken with his distinctly - and unmistakable - Platonic reasoning - leading many to suggest his schooling was in the east - Alexandria is commonly mentioned - but I think this is dubious - it more likely is a result of that his foster father Memmius Symmachus could himself write and speak the language. Initially things went well for Boethius - he married and had a family with Symmachus' daughter - by his mid 20's he was both a senator - granted, a largely ceremonial role by this point - and had been appointed ‘magister officiarum' to King Theodoric the Great - the second barbarian ruler of what was left of the western Roman empire - in modern terms - the head of the civil service - a lofty position for one so young. His misfortunes start in 523 when he is accused of conducting a treasonous correspondence with the eastern emperor Justin - was there any truth in the allegation? Difficult to say - his fall from grace was likely a combination of factors - Boethius didn't help himself by publicly defending a friend and fellow senator who almost certainly was working against the king - Theodoric was beset by problems at the time - he suspected the eastern emperor was planning to invade his territories - ultimately he was proved right - Justin's successor Justinian did just that in 536 - well he didn't - he never left Constantinople - his general Belisarius did - reducing the Ostrogothic kingdom to virtually nothing. Religious factors played a role - there is pretty much no evidence that Boethius was a Christian - more a Platonist that was sympathetic to it - there is not much difficulty in reconciling the former with the latter - unlike Aristotle. Theodoric was a Christian - just the ‘wrong' sort - Arian not Catholic - this form of faith was being persecuted in the east and slowly but surely the barbarian western kingdoms were accepting the authority of Catholicism - the king was becoming ever more isolated. What would have counted against Boethius was that he was a vocal advocate of reconciliation between the Roman See and that of Constantinople. Either way - after a ‘show trial' - the three men who testified against him were of highly dubious character - he was convicted and imprisoned - Theodoric would decide his fate a year later. During his incarceration he composed his greatest work - one of the most influential philosophical tracts of the entire medieval period - ‘De consolatione philosophiae' - the ‘Consolations of Philosophy.' It is often considered to be a Christian book - including by the church - then and now - which regards him a martyr and made Boethius a saint - it isn't - there is not a single mention of Christianity or Jesus in it - there is reference to a ‘one true good' but this is entirely consistent with a Platonic world view - he doesn't refer to god once. Some seek to find evidence of the influence of St. Paul in it - but this - at best - is a tortuous process and doesn't hold water for me. It takes the form of an imagined dialogue between the author and philosophy - personified as a woman - again - you don't get a much more Platonic construction than that - and concerns itself with the problems of theodicy - how can wrong exist alongside a creator that is the perfect good? - why do bad things happen to good people? - very real issues for Boethius at the time - remarkably there is not the merest hint of self-pity in the text. It is best known for his solution to reconciling human free will with ‘divine' foreknowledge - an argument as elegantly simple as it is deft. There isn't space here to go into it - you can look it up if you are interested. So - the year passed - Boethius was taken to a remote country estate and executed. He was interred next to St Augustine in Pavia - nice - the latter's journey to Christianity was via Neo-Platonism - they would have agreed on much.

Last edited:
Sotd - the 6th of July -

Razor - Schick L2
blade - Schick modern twin (lost count)
soap - Kent hard soap - tallow
brush - Simpsons Chubby 1 - best
post - witch hazel
a/s - Tabac
balm - De Vergulde Hand
scent - Tabac edt.

Result - splendid.

In an act of solidarity with our fine sibling @Blademonkey - and his heroic month long quest to rid the world of the scourge of MWF - I went for the Kent today - yes - I know - different names - but to my understanding they are the same thing in all but nomenclature and packaging - identical ingredients. A very fine soap indeed - slickness and post feel - the match of artisan soaps costing much more - unless you have an issue with non-vegetarian products - you should try it. I'd be interested P. - assuming you started with a fresh cake - or puck - what remains at the end? Do post a picture. I wanted to use my ATT Calypso today - but I couldn't find any fresh Prolines - I'll have another look before tomorrow's shave. Using the Schick was considerably less than the end of the world - a fine razor. Safe and efficient. A bit dull though? So - no picture today - I can't multi-task - that's a talent my partner has - but I don't - I did research and write something - which you are welcome to read if you are interested. Job done - enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

'The Consolations of Philosophy'

Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius - (b.?475 - d.524) - Senator, Consul, translator and philosopher - born into an elite Roman family - he was related to at least two former emperors - is a good example of the shift from the old classical order to the medieval. He was about as well educated as you could be in western Europe at the time - fluent in Latin and Greek - producing a prodigious body of work on myriad subjects - his translations of Socrates and Plato were pretty much the only ones available until the mid c.12th - his facility with Greek was unusual in his time and place - taken with his distinctly - and unmistakable - Platonic reasoning - leading many to suggest his schooling was in the east - Alexandria is commonly mentioned - but I think this is dubious - it more likely is a result of that his foster father Memmius Symmachus could himself write and speak the language. Initially things went well for Boethius - he married and had a family with Symmachus' daughter - by his mid 20's he was both a senator - granted, a largely ceremonial role by this point - and had been appointed ‘magister officiarum' to King Theodoric the Great - the second barbarian ruler of what was left of the western Roman empire - in modern terms - the head of the civil service - a lofty position for one so young. His misfortunes start in 523 when he is accused of conducting a treasonous correspondence with the eastern emperor Justin - was there any truth in the allegation? Difficult to say - his fall from grace was likely a combination of factors - Boethius didn't help himself by publicly defending a friend and fellow senator who almost certainly was working against the king - Theodoric was beset by problems at the time - he suspected the eastern emperor was planning to invade his territories - ultimately he was proved right - Justin's successor Justinian did just that in 536 - well he didn't - he never left Constantinople - his general Belisarius did - reducing the Ostrogothic kingdom to virtually nothing. Religious factors played a role - there is pretty much no evidence that Boethius was a Christian - more a Platonist that was sympathetic to it - there is not much difficulty in reconciling the former with the later - unlike Aristotle. Theodoric was a Christian - just the ‘wrong' sort - Arian not Catholic - this form of faith was being persecuted in the east and slowly but surely the barbarian western kingdoms were accepting the authority of Catholicism - the king was becoming ever more isolated. What would have counted against Boethius was that he was a vocal advocate of reconciliation between the Roman See and that of Constantinople. Either way - after a ‘show trial' - the three men who testified against him were of highly dubious character - he was convicted and imprisoned - Theodoric would decide his fate a year later. During his incarceration he composed his greatest work - one of the most influential philosophical tracts of the entire medieval period - ‘De consolatione philosophiae' - the ‘Consolations of Philosophy.' It is often considered to be a Christian book - including by the church - then and now - which regards him a martyr and made Boethius a saint - it isn't - there is not a single mention of Christianity or Jesus in it - there is reference to a ‘one true good' but this is entirely consistent with a Platonic world view - he doesn't refer to god once. Some seek to find evidence of the influence of St. Paul in it - but this - at best - is a tortuous process and doesn't hold water for me. It takes the form of an imagined dialogue between the author and philosophy - personified as a woman - again - you don't get a much more Platonic construction than that - and concerns itself with the problems of theodicy - how can wrong exist alongside a creator that is the perfect good? - why do bad things happen to good people? - very real issues for Boethius at the time - remarkably there is not the merest hint of self-pity in the text. It is best known for his solution to reconciling human free will with ‘divine' foreknowledge - an argument as elegantly simple as it is deft. There isn't space here to go into it - you can look it up if you are interested. So - the year passed - Boethius was taken to a remote country estate and executed. He was interred next to St Augustine in Pavia - nice - the latter's journey to Christianity was via Neo-Platonism - they would have agreed on much.
Does a Schick L2 have a gear knob on it ? Is it this one ? That's a crazy Razor :)

l2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom