SOTD : Saturday 4th June - Friday 10th June 2022.

Wednesday 8th June
Canadian Schick E3 - Schick Proline B #6 - Yaqi Sagrada Familia - Signature Soaps Novus Spice - Old Spice Original AS - Aloe Vera Gel
2NwXHWH.jpg

Very apt that Brian used Novus, the Latin for new for his take on this iconic scent. It has many familiar 'Old Spice' type notes. Spicy, fruity and floral, plus an impressive shave performance.
My favourite soap list has now been edited.

Wednesday 8th June
Canadian Schick E3 - Schick Proline B #6 - Yaqi Sagrada Familia - Signature Soaps Novus Spice - Old Spice Original AS - Aloe Vera Gel
2NwXHWH.jpg

Very apt that Brian used Novus, the Latin for new for his take on this iconic scent. It has many familiar 'Old Spice' type notes. Spicy, fruity and floral, plus an impressive shave performance.
My favourite soap list has now been edited.
Thanks Arthur, it’s appreciated. Best Regards Brian

Sotd-08-06-22.png

ATT alu Calypso - M plate
Treet Platinum (9 & out)
Simpson Special best
Signature Capra unscented
warm water
Old Spice a/s.

In my experience, no unscented soap is actually completely scent free, there is always a trace of the base or just a 'soapy' smell of some sort. Until this morning I couldn't place what I was smelling in the Capra - it's a milky/creamy trace, perhaps unsurprisingly. It further occurred that this would be perfect underpinning a coffee scent - be that espresso or Turkish. Perhaps a hit of brandy? I leave it with you @BrianH :) - cheers - I.

View attachment 89058

ATT alu Calypso - M plate
Treet Platinum (9 & out)
Simpson Special best
Signature Capra unscented
warm water
Old Spice a/s.

In my experience, no unscented soap is actually completely scent free, there is always a trace of the base or just a 'soapy' smell of some sort. Until this morning I couldn't place what I was smelling in the Capra - it's a milky/creamy trace, perhaps unsurprisingly. It further occurred that this would be perfect underpinning a coffee scent - be that espresso or Turkish. Perhaps a hit of brandy? I leave it with you @BrianH :) - cheers - I.
Food for though Iain! Sounds good to me.

Food for though Iain! Sounds good to me.
B. - It strikes me that your main problem would be nomitive - given your usual policy. The Romans didn't drink coffee - so there isn't an authentic Latin term for it. If you went Turkish you could choose from plenty of province names - Thrace, Bythnia, Phyrgia or Galatia. Arabia Deserta would cover Yemen, where Europeans got coffee drinking from. The Romans knew about Aethiopia - which is probably where coffee plants originated. All great names for a shaving soap I think? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::) - I.

Razor = Karve CB ( D )
Blade = Super Iridium ( 4 )
Brush = Chisel & Hound Ivory & Copper 26mm Boar
Soap = OSP Spirits
Splash = Old Spice White Water
Balm = Barts Balms Ben Macdui
308B94A8-DA46-4688-8D24-1F4C83E062F3.jpegAnother Cracking shave for me although a couple of weepers.
i seem to go weeks with no weepers then all off a sudden i have a run of half a dozen shaves when i get weepers.
Strange really hope this is my first & last for a while.
The soap for me is top drawer
i’m hoping James Riley gets back to us sooner rather than later, I know he said he would be away for 12 month ish possibly 24 months but i genuinely hope he comes back with more ideas,
Like most British Artisans his soaps are class.
The blade was its 4th outing,
normally i only use them 3 times but i was intrigued so went with a fourth time.
Was that the reason i got a weeper ?
probably not in fact definitely not but it’s made me question myself.
Anyway not to worry a wonderful three pass shave and everything went together quite nicely
Onwards & Upwards until the next time
Stay Safe

Good afternoon all,

Pre, hot water and flannel. PAA Cube (Menthol)
Brush, Razorock Beehive
Razor, Blackland Era (5SB)
Soap, PAA Shave Chaser
Blade, Lords Silver (2nd use)
A/S, PAA Shave Chaser

Not a huge amount of material to deal with. The soap lathered up nice and easily. Obviously the scent is very similar to the Mennen Skin Bracer if you’re familiar with that. Nice and cooling, menthol and fresh. It went on very well, nice and thick and slick.

I didn’t have any issues getting a lather from this one.

A nice clean and close shave, very happy with the results and performance of the products used. No irritation, nicks, cuts etc.

The Era is my kind of razor. It’s smooth and efficient. I’d say it is a little more forgiving than the Blackbird. But you still can’t switch off while using it. If you like the Blackbird and similar I’d recommend it. And for me the price point makes it even better value when coupled with its performance.

Best,

Ben

B. - It strikes me that your main problem would be nomitive - given your usual policy. The Romans didn't drink coffee - so there isn't an authentic Latin term for it. If you went Turkish you could choose from plenty of province names - Thrace, Bythnia, Phyrgia or Galatia. Arabia Deserta would cover Yemen, where Europeans got coffee drinking from. The Romans knew about Aethiopia - which is probably where coffee plants originated. All great names for a shaving soap I think? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::) - I.
I certainly wouldn’t call it nafcafe! Maybe capulus would work

Back
Top Bottom