SOTD: Saturday 30th November- Friday 6th December 2019.

SOTD 1 Dec 2019
IMG_8531.jpg

Razor: NEW, Short Comb w/Thin Uncommon Bar Handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Pre-Shave: Georgetown Pottery G12 Scuttle
Lather: Pre de Provence No. 63 Soap
Brush: Simpson Duke 1
AS: Pre de Provence No. 63 Balm

I normally use a Goodwill 162 on Sunday mornings, however, as I am saying goodbye to one of my spares, I thought this one needed to be worked in. This razor seems to make music as it shaves. Imagine Carlos Santana working his magic...Smooth.

SOTD Sunday 01 December 2019

Pre-shave: Warm shower, Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser, followed by Prorasso Red Pre/post Shave.
Soap: MDC.
Brush: Shavemac Flattop.
Razor: Colonial Silversmith.
Blade: Shark Platinum (Day 1) and Gillette Silver Blue (Day 1).
Post: Pitralon Swiss, followed by Bioaroma After Shave Moisturizing Face Cream.

01-Dec-2019.jpg

First run out with the Colonial Silversmith; first attempt loaded up with a Shark Platinum, ordered a cart of those from eBay - first pass the blade did not feel right - notable tugging; decided to reload with a Gillette Silver Blue. I was dissapointed as my first shave with the Shark Platinum was, well brilliant.

First thoughts on the Silversmith - another winner from Colonial Razors; as ever I appreciate YMMV :) I read a review of the Silversmith; to summarise it said a mild razor with the efficiency of the R41. My first impression (with the GSB loaded) is that is not fair off, a fair description.

The Silversmith looks and feels good in the hand; the blade once loaded truely feels part of the razor - true alignment, no blade chatter; easy to find shave angle; great balance. Without wishing to temp fate, I feel it could give the Pils a decent run for its money in terms of smoothness and efficiency.

Today, the MDC run out; a soap that I will re-stock and will have as part of my rotation; that said I may wait until the Spring of next year before I get more, I want to focus on some of the tallow based soaps I have picked up recently; not least the Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum.

All the best,

Chris

And so a return to the forum after a week (and a bit) of sheer madness at work where I could barely find time to shave never mind throw some rubbish at you in the name of social information. Curse those who go off sick (the real illness club) and curse ships which breakdown (the real ships breaking down club)

Anyway not to change the nature of this past week (and a bit) my weekend also disappeared in to a haze of madness with my family who are equally as rushed off their feet and so a shave on the hop here. Actually this was last night's SOTD and the theme given was 'A Tight Squeeze'

IMG_20191201_175141.jpg

All in a rush to get out of the house and in to town for dinner with Mrs Satanfriendly and a concert so it was over to those bits of kit I know could get me cleanly shaven with minimum effort.

Tight end - Ikon B1 with chrome cap
Tight fisted - Polsilver Lodz
Tight ass - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
Tight lipped - Signature Soaps Hibernian
Skin tight - L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm
Tight control - Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine

An impeccable shave from a super bunch of performers. A single pass to a heavenly smooth shave and the scent of a bag of freshly squeezed oranges. Total time...5 minutes beginning to end.

On the subject of 'squeeze' the concert we attended was Chris Difford playing solo. He of the band Squeeze and the vocals on 'Cool for cats'. Superb concert and one of those small venues which gives that very intimate feeling. A part of it all. Met up with him at the end of the show and invited him to come and play live in my kitchen one day. He may take up the offer.

Further on the subject of squeeze, here is what I call a mighty tight squeeze in my line of work. One of the ACL G4 ships entering Gladstone lock here in the port of Liverpool. There is approximately 50 cm each side and 2m each end once inside the lock. Our job is to stop it disappearing through the gates at the other end. I was a bit over enthusiastic on this occasion as I started to pull it back out of the lock. A bit of an 'Oooooops' moment.

IMG-20191125-WA0007.jpg

I wish you all a most bodacious week ahead and if you think I am going to sign off this SOTD with 'Cool for cats' by Squeeze then you will just have to be disappointed. What else can there be except some Japanese Techno thrash from those Blood Stain Child chaps.

Last edited:
Monday 2nd December

Vitos Pre Shave Cream
Vitos Green Shaving Soap
Simpson Beaufort B6 Badger Brush
Schick K2 with a Schick 'Chick' Blade
Thayers Witch Hazel and Cucumber
Palmer's Moisturiser
Denim Musk EDT

I have had this K2 or as it is badged 'The Lady Eversharp'....for years. I have never used it until today. It is just a long handled razor with some glitter and it shaves very well.

3 passes for a perfect finish!

Date:- 02 December 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Fougere Angelique (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB SS 'D' / Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless #7
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Whisky:- Crown Royal Black Canadian

Prep: L'Oréal Hydra Energetic face wash
Pre-shave: Proraso Green M&E
Bowl: Recycled T&H cream bowl
Cream: T&H West Indian Limes
Brush: Razorock BC Synth
Razor: Rockwell 6C Gunmetal (new toy) on R2
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Post: Warm then cold water rinse, Proraso Green M&E Lotion

First go with the Rockwell 6C, and first DE razor shave for a few weeks. Wary of going in all guns blazing so went in with R2 plate first and even then was very careful. Shave was ok but nothing earth shattering. Actually got some post shave irritation and a few weepers. I put this down mainly to it being both my first DE razor shave for a while, and my first shave with a new razor, thus figuring out angles, etc. Also it reminded me of the DE89 in that it wasn't all that efficient, thus I think I overdid the touchup a bit. Hey, it was only plate 2 so I kind of expected that anyway, just didn't want to go to the high numbers right off the bat. Had another go since on 4 plate so will post thoughts on that later

A55E1E28-5D1B-4291-B5B2-A20DEE36F3FC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom