SOTD: Saturday 3 February - Friday 9 February 2024.

Wednesday 7 February

I scratched the Stahly Live Blade itch courtesy of @trainman, so thanks again Dave (y). I like using odd ball razors and this one is seriously off the scale. It’s mechanical wind up still works perfectly and the chrome plating is as new, not bad for a razor dating back probably to around early 70s. So it has been well made even if the designer must have been on LSD or another hallucinogenic drug at the time. Mind you, I noticed in the Waits razor bible that an earlier version from the 40s was patented as an electric plug-in mains operated item :eek: .
It felt mild in use with the BiC x3, but it is quite a bulky razor so getting head to handle weight distribution just right takes practice. but it actually delivered a pretty good bbs finish with two passes and pick ups. I shall try again without the vibrator in action to see what if anything the so called “live blade” adds to the party. MDC Fougere is a joy to use, however, my travel brush shed quite a few bristles during lathering up and I can’t remember if I have re knotted this one. Ah well, it’ll have to join the queue of maintenance and repair jobs.

Have a fine day fellas!

View attachment 116721
I use the head sometimes but never the handle.
My wife took it and won't give it back

07/02/24
Pre - Droyt's Vegetas Glycerine Soap
Brush - Yaqi Coco-cola 22mm Synth
Soap - Signature Soap Hibernia
Razor - Ever Ready HFT Natural Angle
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Lime Balm
A/S - Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 Jasmine
Wk 06 (5).jpg
This razor is so easy to use, it is also about the most comfortable ER version i have used. Spot on that.
The Signature soaps are just so easy to use and always produce a luxurious lather, today was no exception. The PIF'd Yaqi brush is becoming a firm favourite a big Thank you to Iain @Digimonkey.
Enjoy your day all.

IMG_5042.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Tradere
Blade: GSB (1)
Brush: Highlander with Boti Pink
Soap: Rex 1966
Splash: Rex 1966

Had the privilege of completing the experience of the blackland range (save for the vector ti) thanks to a loan from a kind forum member. It's a very elegant one too, a great mild but reasonably efficient shaver.

The Rex soap and splash is a pleasant mild orange-y scent.

Pleasant shaves to all!

Wednesday 7th February

ABLVV853toHnHOTsWmgQs0jxvO3ItXjULRryYvbxTIOz2Lc4ITlDV34tF13kOw10J4hZfoDRCtwG9ouW1jgKagicMiOi92PS_AUp7TpIk7bXpgRdYsHRAzKiMpGrmi2vlSOOiHilEGGPupIy3ZV_GW_7-SgFfA=w800

Fat February

LEA Classic Shaving Bowl & Omega 11137 Pure Bristle
Muhle R89 w/Red Horseman Swing Handle & Treet Durasharp (3)
Pitralon Classic Aftershave

Continuing Fat February with this lovely continental shaving soap that indeed contains the good stuff ... Lanolin!

IMG_20240207_195209.jpg
Reacquainted with Rainbow blades (oh yes, Geoffrey!) after a long sojourn. Good overall shave. Very close in most areas but some I just feel it can't get closer after a few attempts so don't want to risk irritation.
Luckily there was none and the result was great!

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Gillette Mk. I Adjustable 195 'Fatboy' (1960)
Blade: Rainbow Super Stainless
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Generic Hand soap
Lather: Kent/Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Dunhill Dunhill for Men

06/02/24
Pre - Droyt's Vegetas Glycerine Soap
Brush - Erasmic 26mm Shavers delight Tuxedo knot
Soap - Signature Soap Leodis
Razor - Mühle R41GS
Blade - Personna Med Prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Macdui - Rosemary & Sandalwood
A/S - Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 Rose
View attachment 116685
A very nice lather from the Tuxedo synth and Leodis, the scent is like walking into a fresh flower shop, it gives you a wonderful lift.
The Med prep felt a bit "harsh" today in the Stainless R41, i have to admit its not my favourite razor, although today it has given me a close, BBS finish.
I gave myself a rub with the alum block to check my technique and there was very little indication. Nothing from the splash either.
All in all a great result.
Enjoy your day all.
Cheers Tony, lover the “flower shop” analogy.

Nice to see another Goya aftershave user! I'm a fan of Cedarwood and (especially) Corvette.

Spoilers are blades I don't see often, either! I only have a few so use them sparingly.

Lastly the Fatboy is my go to razor. Everything - aesthetics, balance, handle length and width and gentle but efficient performance - works so well for me.
Fat February
Mid-week shave:
1962 Fatboy; Spoiler; Hampshire Wool Fat (cedar and patchouli) - transferred to vintage ceramic bowl; Yaqi Bali silvertip (you might see a theme emerging with the brushes); Goya Cedarwood a/s.

View attachment 116762

Back
Top Bottom