SOTD : Saturday 28th September - Friday 4th October 2019.

29/09/2019
Pre: Pears Transparent Original
Brush: RR400
Soap: Signature soaps Eboracum
Razor: Parker SRX SS
Blade: Perma Sharp single (2)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash,Homemade Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Rosemary & Sandalwood Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Copycat Executive

SRX,RR4,SS.jpg

A very successful Sunday morning shave.
I think the training week with the feather SS non Folder has helped my technique enormously.
A Bowl lather with the Signature soap Eboracum sample from Brian - thanks.gif
As i have said Peppermint is not my thing so i was not really taking the scent into consideration, another bowl lather today and again i overloaded with the amount i added to the bowl, a little seems to go a long way with this soap. A very nice slick, shiny lather mixed up in no time, although it did seem thirsty but again that could be to the amount i used. On the face it covers beautifully and is a stayer, this i need when using these types of razors as i need to take my time.
Again during the shave it seems to have a lot of glide helping the razor move easily around the face. It also seems to leave the face with a nice face feel after each rinse off. I really like these soaps.
Well done Brian. Bravo.gif

So, to the shave:-
With my face well lathered i completed a very deliberate WTG pass without issue taking my time, concentrating on my angle and hand hold, after the rinse i was very happy with the result. The 2nd pass was a mixed pass XTG & ATG (ATG only where i am comfortable with my grip) after this rinse off i would say it was a DFS+ finish and would have been very acceptable if it was any other day, however, today i visit my favourite Lady so only the best will do, i noticed the Rockwell Model T on the shelf so completed some buffing with it, lathering my face where it needed it.
Result BBS - well Happy
The Post shave Alum block gave some indications here and there but not much, a splash of Bay Rum Astringent again gave some indication, all Calmed down with the Barts Balm - Face Medic.
A splash of Copycat executive and i am done.
I feel very positive about that shave. The post shave feel is great.woo.gif

Time to get the dogs out for a walk in the rain before my weekly visit to the Mothership.
Have a great Sunday All.

Last edited:
Sunday 29th September

Vitos Pre Shave cream
Stirling Pumpkin Spice Shaving Soap
RazoRock Barber 24mm Plissoft Brush
Vanta Razor with a 7 O'Clock Permasharp
Witch Hazel
Palmer's for Men Moisturiser
Old Spice Bear Glove AS

A super Sunday Shave in 2 passes and just a little touch up.

The rest of the day will be spent cleaning and reproofing all my waxed cotton kit to keep me dry and warm over the coming months!

SOTD 20190929.
PWeVntF.jpg

Proraso pre-shave cream (green).
M Keramiek / APShaveCo SilkSmoke.
T.O.B.S "Mr. Taylor's" shaving cream.
Schick type I1 injector.
Schick Proline B (7).
G Bellini "Nº1" EdT.

Sunday, 29 September 2019

PreShave: Warm to hot water, most from the boiled kettle some from the tap
Cream: D R Haris Almond
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled T&H cream bowl
Razor: The Sledgehammer (Merkur 39C)
Blade Astra Platinum (2)
Post Shave: Alum

Fragrance: Floris 71/72

A nice Sunday shave, took my time (to the annoyance of those wanting to use the bathroom) and had a great 3-pass BBS shave. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

Sunday evening

OSP Grapefruit and Menthol
RazoRock BC Silvertip synth
Face lather
Gillette Aristocrat
Personna Med Prep
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Fine Snake Bite

Incredibly smooth and cool tonight. The Med Preps are excellent blades (@patw ); so a purchase is imminent. I'm drilling down to my two favourite blades thus far. I enjoy Nacets, Astra SP, Polsilver SI and Rubies. But I find Personna Med Preps and Gillette Silver Blues are very much ahead.

2AB56B9E-580E-4FB0-9357-B0F2FE701CA7.jpeg

oTok10f.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Czech & Speake No 88
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: NOS Super Iridium BN-84 (5)
Post: Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Toner / Musgo Real Aftershave Balm
Scent: None

I'd lusted after the Czech & Speake soap for some time, and was particularly curious about the aluminium dish. Price was always the issue, but when I spotted one recently on sale, I pulled the trigger. Firstly, the black aluminium dish is very impressive - weighty and beautifully made. I expected the soap performance to be top shelf, given the Valobra base, and was not disappointed. My only issue is that the scent, whilst very nice, was not as strong as I prefer.
In contrast, the scent strength of the Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Toner was amazing - as strong as some of my colognes. Fortunately, it is a wonderful scent - I have the matching DG soap and it is one of my favourites.
Three passes and a couple of clean-up strokes for a BBS result. I continue to be impressed with this Polish blade.

SOTD Saturday 29 and Sunday 29 September 2019

Pre-shave: Warm shower, Wright's cold tar soap. followed by Jack Black Epic Moisture MP10, and cold water splash.
Soap: Tabula Rasa Olibanum (Frankincense).
Brush: Simpsons The Duke 2 Pure Badger.
Bowl: Giles Shaving Co - Spotty Pedestal..
Razor: Hone 15 (Brass).
Blade: Feather (1).
Post: Fine Snake bite, followed by Raw Supremo Supreme Smoother Facial Moisturiser.

Geeat shaves this weekend; the Hone 15 loaded with a Feather is some combination, as ever YMMV - a 2 pass WTG and ATG resulted in a DFS+ with no issues to report..

All the best,

Chris

Sotd-29-9-19.jpg

Sotd - Saturday the 21st to Saturday the 28th - travel shaves - and today - back home - the 29th of September.

Last week -

Razor - Yaqui double open comb brass
blade - Wilkinson Sword
brush - Satin Tip - synth
soap - Williams - ice cool menthol cream
balm - Nivea - cool gel hidrante - sensitive
post - Heno de Pravia agua de cologne - after each shower - three a day.

Today -

razor - ER Streamline
blade - vintage Gem (1)
brush - Simpsons Chubby One - best
soap - Williams - ice cool menthol cream
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid - vigorously mental
balm - Proraso green
scent - Dior - Eau Sauvage edp.

Result - todo bueno - me gusta - muchos.

I was reading with interest today a thread here about taking your shaving kit as carry on luggage - the picture above is what I used last week - all the software - and the blades - I bought when I arrived - Spain has a good wet shaving culture - so I knew I could rely on easily getting decent products there. I didn't actually shave my face for the duration - I couldn't be arsed - I was on holiday - also apparently - my other half likes it - my beard resembles silver tip these days - but I did - for the first time - shave my head with a de razor - nerve wracking at first - normally I use double '0' clippers or a cartridge razor - but went for it. Very gratifying - the Yaqui isn't the most forgiving razor in the world - and I have prominent scar tissue on my scalp - all went well - with due care and attention. What a feeling - menthol products on a bbs head. Very cooling - and no mistake. Back home - a heavy growth to take off - only two razors in the den up to the job - I forgot to order some more Prolines for the Cobra - so the Streamline it was. Not the first sngle edge I would recommend to beginners but if you treat it with respect - it is peerless. Such audible feedback. When it all goes silent - you are finished. Nice - all good - enjoy your shaves and the week ahead - I've got three more days off. Need to make more soap tomorrow - cheers - I.

Back
Top Bottom