SOTD: Saturday 28th December 2019 - Friday 4th January 2020.

First shave of 2020

Gillette New Long Comb
Wilkinson Sword Blade
Cella Shaving Soap
ES Synthetic shaving Brush
Blue Stratos Aftershave Splash
Blue Stratos Eau De Toilette

Result BSS WTG

Been a while since I've Shaved with this razor, with it‘s wonky teeth and lack of gold plating revealing it‘s copper and brass construction, simple, elegant, classic. Effortlessly removing 5 days beard.

Thursday 2nd January

D R Harris Lavender Shave Stick
Shavemac 26mm Synthetic
Timeless SS 0.68 Scalloped
SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium (2)
Superdrug Forest Fresh ASL

Blue Diamond blade is much more assertive in the Timeless compared to my Karve
A lack of concentration earned me a small, persistent nick just above my top lip - could've been a small pimple sheared by the blade
The Shavemac Synth seems to perform more like a badger brush, likely due to the density of its fibres, of which it shed two today.
Overall a good close all round finish, verging on BBS.
Finished with Forest Fresh ASL, which my shaven skin really appreciates.

PQGoMjO.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh
Razor: UFO Tornado / Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (1)
Scent: Boucheron Pour Homme EdP

Kicked off the New Year by loading my favourite blade into the Wolfie. What a great performer the Personna SPC is, ably assisted by the slick lather from the Murphy & McNeil soap.
Speaking of lather, I'm really enjoying this Rudy Vey Shavemac knot.

First shave of 2020 - I have kept in reserve the Chinese Feather SS clone for the occasion.

Prep: (scalding) hot water and Nivea Men cream
Soap: TBS Maca Root & Aloe cream
Brush: Semogue 1800 boar
Razor: Chinese Feather AC SS clone
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild
AS: Weleda Rasierwasser
Fragrance: Str8 Ahead
_20200103_074547.JPG

The razor probably copies the geometry of the original Feather AC SS with micrometre tolerances. There are quite a few things lacking in the quality of assembly and finishing, though: the finish and lacquer of the handle is poor (just a single thin layer), only the outside planes are finished properly, the black coating of the blade holder is uneven, especially inside, the parts are riveted together with no hope of disassembly or adjustment and the spring is flimsy. But it gets the job done wonderfully.

A two pass shave (WTG and a hybrid xATG) and I needed to recalibrate my definition of BBS.

This tool offers as comfortable and irritation free shave as the sharpest-honed SR, but the feeling is completely different.
The head geometry is very tolerant to technical shortcomings (steep angle, pressure, lack of skin stretching) at price of offering neigh zero feedback.

It was a very effective, extremely comfortable (to the point of frightening a bit) - but very boring shave.

Friday

Cella
RazoRock Disrupter 22mm synth
Face lather
Gillette New ex ‘Jewellery Set' (England, 1934)
Gillette Nacet (3)
Thayer's Lavender and Aloe Vera
Proraso Sandalwood after shave

I know that Cella has the reputation of going rancid allegedly; but, apart from a slight discolouration, scent, performance and post-shave feel are as good as ever.

An excellent pairing of the New and Nacet.

E8E28FD1-4C59-4937-AEC7-0F43C097639E.jpeg

03/01/2020
Pre: Pears Transparent Original
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow
Soap: OSP Spice Road
Razor: Karve SB - C Stainless
Blade: Gillette Rubie (2)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Bay Rum Astringent.
Balm: Barts Balm Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: OSP Spice Road

Fri.JPG
3 Passes As smooth as you Like.
Have a Great Afternoon All.

3/1/19

Brush - Yaqi Rainbow
Soap - Wilko Stick
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Tiger Platinum (3)
Post - Alum
AS - Brut Oceans

Not a great shave today, and aside from the soap it was the same set up as yesterday's. Picked up a meaty nick on the first pass and in between the 2nd and 3rd passes I noticed a huge spot had grown, which I presume will become an ingrown hair - first one I've picked up whilst shaving for a long time. Generally they'd happen a while after the shave but never had it come up during the shave!

Today's shave was testament that even on days when one's technique and set up might be good it can still come to get the better off you!

0D2BA671-3B7D-43A6-85B9-5813046F32EB.jpeg
SOTD 01/03/20

I received a Gibbs #15 Adjustable in trade from a French friend yesterday, and just had to shave with it today. As the owner of a #17 Gibbs and a Rex Ambassador, based on the earlier design, I discovered that the shave was identical to the #17 Gibbs. At setting 6 I received an extremely close BBS on my face. I dialed down to 4 for the noggin and cleared away my stubble effortlessly for a good DFS dome shave. I used my PAA Cube for face and dome lathering, and it provided a decent protective lather, although not quite as creamy or thick as my trusty MWF. I feel clean, cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: Gibbs #15 Adjustable
BLADE: Suneko customized for razor
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: PAA Charcoal-Menthol Preshave
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with GlyceGlycerin soap followed by Thayers LavenderWH and finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime

Friday AM 2020-01-03

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Rooney 1/2 Ebony Finest (24/57)
Penhaligon's English Fern shaving soap (tallow)
Wolfman WR2-SB 0.95/WRH1
Tiger Platinum (5)
Houbigant Fougère Royale aftershave (vintage)

The blade, which again was very slightly rough yesterday, was smooth once more this morning. The lather quality might be playing a minor role in this, but I think mostly it is related to the particular razor being used. This blade just seems to be a bit finicky with razors.
Q31UErS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom