SOTD: Saturday 27 April - Friday 3 May 2024.

My first entry for this new week of SOTD's and I shall theme this one, 'Sunday morning and the gospel according to shaving'

20240427_200545.jpg

Satan 2:18 - Razorock Hawk V3
Beardless 4:13 - Feather Super Professional
Brush 21:12 - Wee Whiskey Barrel
St Soap 1:1 - York Swirling Arabian Dreams
Morris Minor 1:2:3:4 - L'Occitane Cade balm
Belts and braces 19:81 - CK Obsession
'And have a bloody shave you damn scruffian'

We are gathered here this morning by the sink to cleanse our faces of bearded growth. We give you thanks and we praise you for your lather. All by the loo, yah.

For it is today that he changeth water in to slime and the blade walketh on the lather. For it was a kind shave and there was rejoicing in the shower-room. All by the loo, yah.

And on the third day the bristles shall rise again in accordance to the whiskers and ascend in to shaving heaven; where the razor will live in the righthand side of the cabinet.

This is the shave of Satanfriendly

Have some of the very talented Band Maid to see this one out and have a great week ahead.

Sotd-28-04-24.png
Sotd - 28/04/24. Head & Face.

Head - Leaf Twig - Gillette Nacet - Baxters of California brushless cream - witch hazel - Nivea Fresh moisturiser.
Face - Gillette Slim Twist with handle modded by Gile - Astra Platinum (Rus) - Highlander short loft Manchurian M7 - Ach Brito Lavanda - RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore - Weleda balm.

Fantastic - enjoy yours - cheers - I.

Artisinal April?

Sunday 28th April

AP1GczMqeGAhxIgs-414_-cliYAe0GpfCxPnlZV7Dks9GoButAitQzQvFFIydlZsjh1681XOYLDcKknU1EpAS0yQ09R-k8DS18MypGgLWc_aFp8STm3LjpN7pLVehsWxczEBWlgDNVayiJ-c5KhlslZLniJBgw=w800

Dalit Sandalwood Shaving Soap & Proraso Pure Bristle
Leaf Twig (Prism) & Zorrik Super Platinum (4)
DR Harris Sandalwood Aftershave

Bringing Artisinal April to an end ...

I'm not much for the big name "artisinal" soaps but do enjoy WIckham 1912 and so have kept hold of a small handful of favourites. Beyond that. my artisinal soaps are more the proper home bathtub types and pretty scant in number at that - probably my favourite is Savonniere du Moulin which I purposefully have not used this month because coming up is Milky May!

Enjoy your sunny Sunday evening and have a great week to come ...

Last edited:
SOTN (Head & Face)

Yates Precision Winning Razor V2 Ti
HC&C Cowboy Up - soap & splash
Yaqi Caramel synthetic brush
Thayer's Coconut
Nivea Pro Sensitive Ultra Calming Balm

Very successful attempt at using the Winning Razor V2 Ti in the dome tonight, it's still early to tell for sure but it feels like it gave a closer cut than my usual go tos (Henson V2 ++/Aylsworth Apex Alu), just needed a really hydrated lather to bring out it's best. Looks like I might have finally found that one razor that comfortably does both/either as needed, a serious contender for go to travel razor.

1000011212.jpg

Still using the Lab Blue, this time with a short comb New on a stainless Maggards handle.
The soap is a sample I used once or twice about a year ago. I like the scent but it is very delicate. Not sure it justifies buying a whole cake of it when I have a larger sample of the original fragrance.
Always enjoy the "institute of karate" as my brain invariably reads the label every time.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Gillette New (short comb)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue/Med Prep
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Aqueous Cream
Lather: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Additional Care:
Institut Karite Shea aftershave balm

SOTD Sun 28 Apr 2024

Wet Sunday, shave
DE75DEE0-39F2-4BE7-9CEB-614CB8F212F6.jpeg
Pre - hot shower, lather face wash
Bowl - DSCosmetic green bowl
Cream - Palmolive Classic
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm
Razor - Merkur 38C ‘Barberpole’
Blade - Gillette 7o’clock Permasharp (3)
Post - lather remains face wash, homemade astringent (3 parts witch hazel, 1 part Boots Freshwood ASL), cold rinse (?)
Splash - Forest Fresh ASL
Balm - Nivea Sensitive Cool PSB
Fragrance - Mastermind Vintage EDT

Wet day, wet walk, wet dog, wet shave! Very nice it was, though. Good Palmolive lather with an excellent brush, I find the weight of the Merkur 38C more to my liking than the smaller 34C. I wasn’t keen on Gillette blades when I entered this rabbit hole last year, but I’ve had great shaves with all the ones I’ve used recently. I decided that using alum after every shave when I didn’t really need to probably wasn’t the best thing for my skin, so got some witch hazel, but found the smell a bit ‘earthy’ so mixed in a little ASL, great result, no sting and finished of the shave nicely. But do I rinse it off like alum, or leave it on, that is the question! Anyway great outcome all round.

169A2F60-3ACF-47E4-8CBC-0835E28BE595.jpeg
Don’t ask me, I’m a dog! A dry dog now!

View attachment 119841
haven't gotten on with astra SPs in the past but decided to give one another try today in this aluminium base ball end tech and it worked really well. it felt sharp enough this time and not scratchy or tuggy. maybe my technique has improved too.

fifth shave with this razor and it's definitely different to the later techs but enjoying it so far. it doesn't automatically centre the blade perfectly like the ones with more pronounced little corner tabs but not the biggest deal to make sure the blade is in perfectly straight. I think I might like the 70s aluminium one better and might end up moving this one on but will continue to give it a chance first.
used this same set up yesterday and today as well and I now remember why I dislike astras. the first couple of shaves were ok but loads of irritation on the third shave this morning. not close enough either. not the blades for me it seems. I have a couple of packs still but I'll just use each blade twice and not push it.

Back
Top Bottom