SOTD: Saturday 25th September - Friday 1st October 2021.

Friday AM 2021-10-01
International Coffee Day
C3jhJYZ.jpg

Rooney 3/2 Ivory Finest (24/58)
Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge shaving soap + Rose Geranium Absolute
Wilkinson Bonded System (5)
Dopo Barba di Camaldoli
nUC8GF0.jpg

@donnie_arko , must be that time of year. My week of decorating and wearing the same scruffy clothes has coincided with a decision to undertake a no-shave week (the longest time period since I joined this forum!) It tends to take a bit longer for me to stop looking unkempt and start suiting any growth, but I'll be back on the tools by the end of the week. As for your hobbies post, I'm blessed in that my only other large-ish expense was/is fireworks. This year's spend will be considerably lower as the bulk of last year's purchase went unfired due to the restrictions in place last November. It does however allow justification of shaving gear purchases, when I realise that I effectively burn money for fleeting gratification with the pyro. At least my shaving impulse buys are sitting in a cupboard to reappear at a future date rather than literally going up in smoke!

Thanks for the reply @Jester

I imagine there must be a multitude of different aspects to the hobby of Fireworks, but it must have a very short duration, once one they are lit they only seem to last for a few seconds! How is the decorating coming along?

I know what you mean about this time of year having an impact on things. It's been about 10 days or so since I had a shave, and I think I will persist with growing a beard. I'm quite enjoying not shaving my face right now, but I imagine it'll get to a point when the itchiness will get to be too much!

I imagine there must be a multitude of different aspects to the hobby of Fireworks, but it must have a very short duration, once one they are lit they only seem to last for a few seconds! How is the decorating coming along?

I know what you mean about this time of year having an impact on things. It's been about 10 days or so since I had a shave, and I think I will persist with growing a beard. I'm quite enjoying not shaving my face right now, but I imagine it'll get to a point when the itchiness will get to be too much!
Living room and dining room finished including the skirting and glossing doorframes:D Tidy up complete and a well deserved beer has been opened.
The fireworks was something I always promised myself while living in apartments and houses with insufficient garden space. Still sticking to 20mm bore size and I take pleasure in hand firing rather than buying kit just to press a button. It's the buildup that does it for me. My budget pales into insignificance compared to some but (much like shaving software) I take pleasure in finding that gem that far outperforms its price point! And one can compare in other ways - the brands I favour are unheard of to much of the general public. Yet there's always a supermarket piece that's a must-have as well.
Angus the Greyhound has seen a couple of pieces fired recently, and thinks they're cool. As long as he doesn't try to chase a rocket we'll be fine :rolleyes:

Back to work and visiting customers next week so the disheveled look will go. There's a 1912 waiting to mow through everything this weekend:love:

Friday 1st October

AM-JKLVhplJUjkYuQlUUCQ_WSU71JWDkqP55B8gSUFa3JjuLA4SjEC9oX67Bz2eIoCB1P-apiYS8iYmRi94Yh_9Z90T2XJYmcUV6JfigEC0wD35op8MSzlwZh1wze20pZ5BxwIyJ-8s3-cgjDdSwbOcVV_6P0w=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Shibden Woods Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 Butterscotch w/Professional Boar 28mm
Ever Ready 1907 Lather Catcher
GEM by Personna Stainless (5)
Brut Musk Aftershave

Lovely scrape, that!

Shibden Woods? Someone would ask. It's a soap I don't use that often but when I do I'm reminded that I really should.

What I did was take a handful of soaps and mix 'em ...

It's mostly Lasheba Ghassoul, which is a lovely soap (no longer available) with all manner of goodness and an ingredient list as long as your arm: Organic Ghassoul, Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Raw Coconut Oil, Organic Raw Cocoa Butter, Organic Raw Shea Butter, Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Cassia Obovata Powder, Pure Essential Oils of Orange, Sage, Turmeric & Patchouli, Organic Nettle, Fennel, Peppermint Infusion, Aqua, Glycerine, Sodium Palmate, Sucrose, Sodium Cocoate, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Organic Cocoa Powder & Bay Rum Essential Oil

!!!

I liked it a lot, but goodness was it drying? Even for me that likes to feel dry after shaving, this was too much. It was much improved with the addition of 3P, Saponeria Artigiana Vegetale alla Mandorla & Savon des Volcans Donkey Milk & Mint which doubled its volume and certainly halved that drying behaviour.

Some time later it also got a puck of Green Mountain/Savannah Bee Tobacco & Cedar as I really didn't get on with the soap per se (not such a good performer, but excellent scent). In it went ...

Most recently, it's had a good dash of birch tar for a really dirty, sublime Bay, Tobacco & Tar scent. It reminds me a lot of walking through the woods in our foisty, dank valley (Shibden, my home), hence the name.

Friday 1st October SOTD

Soap • Alvarez Gomez Barberia Cream
Brush • Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo Marble Handle
Razor • Cobra (on loan)
Blade • Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink (1)
Post • Floid Mentally Vigorous

My first shave with the Cobra (kindly on loan from @Digimonkey
The look of this razor alone is enough to make me feel a little uneasy, and think twice as to whether I am ready to use it
It's seriously heavy, and to me a least, looks like an antique razor
I was at first a little befuddled as to how to load the blade, but once worked out, it's easy as Pi

I needn't have been concerned after all, the Cobra turned out to be more of a Milk Snake
Based on one use, I would liken it to a Hawk V3- A plate, perhaps a touch keener and very smooth
I look forward to getting to know this razor better.

Last edited:
Friday 1st October SOTD

Razor • Cobra (on loan)

The look of this razor alone is enough to make me feel a little uneasy, and think twice as to whether I am ready to use it
I was at first a little befuddled as to how to load the blade, but once worked out, it's as as Pi

I needn't have been concerned after all, the Cobra turned out to be more of a Milk Snake
Based on one use, I would liken it to a Hawk V3- A plate, perhaps a touch keener and very smooth
Cobra! That is a rare sight nowadays ... the razor that kickstarted the T-Type AC razor trend.

Friday 1st October SOTD

Razor • Cobra (on loan)

I was at first a little befuddled as to how to load the blade, but once worked out, it's as as Pi

200.gif

AD2ABD18-6C1E-475E-BA74-D489E3680370.jpeg

SOTD: 01/10/2021

Razor: Karve Brass C plate.
Blade: Viking Sword, first use
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: TDS Goat’s Milk Puck
Aftershave: Jean Paul Gautier Le Male EDT
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm Balm

Gave my C plate a run out today looking to improve the efficiency and see if I can get by with a 2 pass. Didn’t quite make it but was an improvement none the less. This soap is a lovely clean lather and a good break and palate cleanser in preparation for the newly acquired Blackbird tomorrow! Wish me luck!

It passes. just dae it!!

Friday 1st October

AM-JKLVhplJUjkYuQlUUCQ_WSU71JWDkqP55B8gSUFa3JjuLA4SjEC9oX67Bz2eIoCB1P-apiYS8iYmRi94Yh_9Z90T2XJYmcUV6JfigEC0wD35op8MSzlwZh1wze20pZ5BxwIyJ-8s3-cgjDdSwbOcVV_6P0w=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Shibden Woods Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 Butterscotch w/Professional Boar 28mm
Ever Ready 1907 Lather Catcher
GEM by Personna Stainless (5)
Brut Musk Aftershave

Lovely scrape, that!

Shibden Woods? Someone would ask. It's a soap I don't use that often but when I do I'm reminded that I really should.

What I did was take a handful of soaps and mix 'em ...

It's mostly Lasheba Ghassoul, which is a lovely soap (no longer available) with all manner of goodness and an ingredient list as long as your arm: Organic Ghassoul, Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Raw Coconut Oil, Organic Raw Cocoa Butter, Organic Raw Shea Butter, Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Cassia Obovata Powder, Pure Essential Oils of Orange, Sage, Turmeric & Patchouli, Organic Nettle, Fennel, Peppermint Infusion, Aqua, Glycerine, Sodium Palmate, Sucrose, Sodium Cocoate, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Organic Cocoa Powder & Bay Rum Essential Oil

!!!

I liked it a lot, but goodness was it drying? Even for me that likes to feel dry after shaving, this was too much. It was much improved with the addition of 3P, Saponeria Artigiana Vegetale alla Mandorla & Savon des Volcans Donkey Milk & Mint which doubled its volume and certainly halved that drying behaviour.

Some time later it also got a puck of Green Mountain/Savannah Bee Tobacco & Cedar as I really didn't get on with the soap per se (not such a good performer, but excellent scent). In it went ...

Most recently, it's had a good dash of birch tar for a really dirty, sublime Bay, Tobacco & Tar scent. It reminds me a lot of walking through the woods in our foisty, dank valley (Shibden, my home), hence the name.
Sounds like the Loch Fyne Whisky "Living Cask"

Back
Top Bottom