SOTD: Saturday 22 July - Friday 28 July 2023.

Monday 24 July
Schick 1959 Eversharp Golden ‘500’ today, Proline blade 4th use. Not really sure about this Bay Rum shave cream, it has quite a cool tingling feel on the face but the scent makes my eyes water :eek: . I am ok with it occasionally but couldn’t use it every day. It doesn’t really lather but does produce a good creamy covering that was cleared easily with this blade. However, it does have a tendency to clog the blade so needs a good rinse between passes and definitely after finishing the shave.
I didn’t want a really close shave today so just had one wtg pass and pick ups. A good finish but by tomorrow morning I will need a closer shave.
Enjoy the day fellas!

IMG_0190.jpeg

24/7/23

Pre - Cien Unscented Soap
Soap - Lea Professional
Brush - Yaqi Mew Brown 24mm
Razor - Gillette Thin Handle Flat Bottom Tech
Blade - Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Wars Protect

Trying to get back into the habit of shaving daily. First time for a while I've had shaves in back to back days. The new 7OC Sharp Edge isn't as sharp as the old ones but it was smooth and just efficient enough in this Tech for a day's worth of growth.

Have a good start to the week gents.

IMG_20230724_130945.jpg

PXL_20230724_154735036.jpgI attempted a 'pre-decimal shave' today, i.e. using software and hardware from before UK currency decimalisation in 1971 (you may ask why, but I ask why not?)
The shaving cream was hard in the tube and I rested the tube in some boiling water for a few minutes to loosen the cream inside. With no shaving brushes to hand of that age I intended to just rub it round my face.
I got a little out but could not get much of a lather from it. It was a bit runny and foamy although not so much that I gave up on it.
I ended up breaking the pre-decimal rule as I only have one brush available at the moment and that's quite new. Unfortunately it didn't improve the situation much.
Consequently the blade feel was a bit more than I'd like and I didn't get particularly close.

Ah well. At least I answered my own question.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Mk. I Adjustable 195 'Fatboy' (1960)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1960s)
Lather: Imperial Leather Shaving cream, 1950s or 1960s
Aftershave: Imperial Leather Aftershave lotion, 1950s or 1960s https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/64be9cde7561cd6e4045fe08

SOTD 24-July
20230723_124915.jpg
Brush: C&H 'Amphora' V13
Soap: Goodfellas Shibusa 2
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: GEM PTFE

Decent shave this morning, theme for the day was Christmas Eve in July. So the aim being to shave using software gifted from a fellow participant. This particular individual gifted me the goodfellas set, incredibly generous of them otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do today. It's not my normal scent being fairly heavy on the vanilla, but quite pleasant.

Tomorrow's challenge should be interesting, Shave with a non-dominant hand. It doesn't have to be your own...eek.

Hope everyone had a grand day.

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
20230724_174946.jpg

Preshave - Wright's Traditional Soap
Razor - Rockwell 6S (R5)
Blade - Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black)
Brush - TSC Best Badger
Lather - Wright's Traditional Soap
Splash - Tabac

Needed to shave quickly tonight with minimal prep and clean up. Just went with the Wright's straight from a preshave into a lather. Worked pretty well - better than I expected.

Has left me with a close and comfortable shave with no irritation. Had a couple of minor weepers where I was rushing. Nothing a cold wash didn't sort out.

Monday 24th July

AIL4fc85RT91evQXI4NQt6qZu0vOa7HQ4OU_-84sUOOlX1IXrJX_tJCD44z87oIV0ZcxSKCJcqrtcakbV3JjiNcIsrzW3TD-zV21RT8Q5zduajO_RkfVLWILRCLKlhoYoU862G36CYybOYSZCcUW4SXz7llvxw=w800

Simpson Sandalwood Shaving Cream & Omega 10108 Pure Bristle
Razorock Hawk A & Feather Professional
Speick Aftershave

My setup for the week ...

Much thanks to @Ebberman for the very generous gift of the Simpson Shaving Cream - I absolutely agree, this is a superb cream and a superb take on sandalwood with other essences to draw out that musky mysteriousness without it being musty or old-smelling. I used a Simpson cream some years ago and recall that I liked it, but I'm generally a soap guy ... except for this one which will fit in right behind another Sandalwood croap that my mate's sister made but are no longer available. Lovely! Cheers mate!

Superb shave with the fresh Feather in the Hawk A Plate. Superb! Real face-feeler, that!

Last edited:
IMG_2479.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: Mühle Sophist STF 23mm
Pre-Shave: Lacura Moisturising Face Wash
Lather: TOBS Shaving Shop
Aftershave: Bart’s Ben Vrackie (Unscented)
Additional Care: Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Aloe Vera Gel, Peppermint, Lavender and Tea Tree Essential Oils
Fragrance: James Bronnley Original EDT

First use of the cream today, absolutely love the scent, very classy indeed. Scent wasn quite as strong once lathered but not an issue for me. Wish TOBS would re-release the fragrance to match.

20230724_210348.jpg

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Proraso preshave balm
Brush Highlander white synthetic brush.
Soap Zingari Man Rougue
Razor 933 travel razor.
Blade free blade with razor.
Aftershave Rougue.

Tonight I used my new travel razor that has a 34c head.
I wanted something small and compact to use on holidays etc.
I didn't expect anything life changing, just something that gives a clean looking shave and could be used everyday when away in the sunshine drinking cocktails.
I had my usual 2 days growth, popped in the complimentary blade and away I went.
The shave was actually better than expected but the blade itself sucks, tomorrow I will pop a feather in.
I am not bbs but I look clean shaven and thats all I wanted from this little razor. So it's safe to say I won't be selling my Stinger razor anytime soon lol.
I smell awesome and look sexy as.....
Have a great evening everyone.

Hot shower with Signature Soaps body soap
Tabac and MWF mixed shaving soap (Tafat)
Muhle Rocca R94
Astra Platinum (2)
Yaqi 28 mm Tuxedo
Thayer's Cucumber WH
La Roche Posay b5 balm
Cien Hyaluronic acid moisturiser
Signature Soaps Novus Spice AS splash

Another stunning shave this evening. The Tafat soap blend was fantastic. The Astra platinum wasn't my favourite when I 1st started DE shaving but tonight's 2nd shave with this blade was outstanding.
IMG_20230724_195906.jpg

Today I didn't shave and so my SOTD takes the theme, 'I didn't shave'

But I will include a pretty picture of a shave from last week which I never did a write up for. I assume it must have been good though

20230719_093610.jpg

No shaving implements were exercised this evening.

'Is that it? Fuck that then I'll have a cup of tea instead'

Sounds weak but the reason I didn't shave today was I somehow managed to get a wasp inside my mouth while out cycling. Yes, I managed to remove the little bastard, but not before it took revenge on my inner lip. A bit of an 'Ouch!' moment. Can't wait to tell the missus it also happened to get inside my Y-Fronts.

But not to say you will escape some Japanese girly torture because you won't. The last for this week from those RADICALS and being as our summer appears to have pissed off you may as well imagine you are on the beach with these ladies. Well I will

Back
Top Bottom