SOTD : Saturday 21th March to Friday 27th March 2021

26/3/21

Pre - Cien Soap Free Facial Wash
Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 24mm
Soap - Lea Professional Cream (the one in the huge 250ml size tube)
Bowl - Slow feed pet water bowl
Razor - Ming Shi Futur Clone (position 2)
Blade - Big Ben (1)
Post - Witch Hazel/Lea Balm
AS - Brut Oceans

In the last two days, I had 2 amazing shaves with the new Gillette London Bridge blade in a Souplex razor, and could have used the same combination again but sometimes it's nice to have an alternative so I used a few items I seldom use, the Ming Shi Futur clone and a Big Ben blade, the latter in keeping with razor blades named after London landmarks.

First, on to the shaving cream, it is the Lea shaving cream that comes in the huge 250ml sized tube. There seems a little confusion on the various shaving creams Lea sells in tubes, and this one has the same scent as Menthol one, but a slightly different one to the Lea Sensitive cream. In terms of performance, there are differences but they are negligible, as today's cream produced a very slick lather that sits well on the skin, like the other ones are good all round solid performers, even if they are not exceptional ones, I'd see them akin to a supermarket own brand salted crisps.

I seldom use the Ming Shi Futur razor, and today I remembered why as I find the shape of the head to be cumbersome, and they the handle to be a little on the slippery side. The Big Ben is completely forgettable blade, nothing special for it's performance but gets the job done.

A good shave in the end but I can't see myself reaching for the razor again on a regular basis.

Have a good Friday gents.

Fri 26th March

Cyril Salter.MS Ed2band
P & B Citra Royale
ER 1912 Bathroom Set
Gem S/S [ 2 ]
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

Found that this 1912 copes very easily with Two Days growth, whereas the 1912 Gem Junior I used earlier in the Week really struggled and was quite unpleasant. Today without too much effort a parade ground finish.

IMG_1385.jpg

26/03/21
Pre: Shower, Cold water face prep
Brush: Semogue SOC TAJ
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Gillette 7o'C Black (5)
Post shave: Alum, Cold water rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Vintage Tabac Black
Aftershave: Tabac original
Wk12 (7).JPG
Another nice shave with the Dart, albeit very close. I am pretty sure the cold water face prep and shave really help when using more aggressive razors for me.
The plan was to complete 2 passes, however, during the shave i had plenty of lather and was really enjoying the brush and razor so went for 3 full passes, the blade starting to go off during the ATG pass.
In the past with a hot water prep and shave this would have meant far too close a shave with a lot of Alum and aftershave indication, today, no such thing, just a little from the Alum rub on the neck and a little from the splash.
My face calmed very quickly leaving me BBS feeling fresh and smelling all 70's Kojak.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

Last edited:
Friday AM 2021-03-26
First motion picture film manufactured this date, 1885
VEQTxVa.jpg

Rooney Polo 2 Ivory Finest (28/60)
English Leather shaving soap (tallow)
Haircut & Shave P076-SB Copper/Triad Aristocrat Brass
Gillette Super Stainless 'Spoiler' (8)
English Leather aftershave (vintage)

The old soap made fairly good lather but required a lot of work. The lather was quite slick but with not much cushion. Its matching aftershave is less sweet than others of the same era (e.g. Brut, Jade East), with prominent base notes of leather, musk, and especially vetiver; I guess the citrus top notes have disappeared over time, despite it being NOS.
04F7h7Q.jpg

Back
Top Bottom