SOTD : Saturday 21th March to Friday 27th March 2021

Thursday 25th March

ACtC-3dKQY8po5HJ_C5r7rgrEcxTKy2rT9Gb1wgyBfWaa95fFQi5NreZT07CdPCazZAPyiM0udWpSo03Gu0cKUfraN4RqV3xuviLDL67V-UCkFXvE_0bhvb2ZY6j_KBbjXuB9y6spULJQxZQ-lCqOvjoZrYB8Q=w800-h600

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Yardley Shaving Soap (Vintage)
Semogue SOC Taj (Boar)
Muhle Rocca R96
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (1)
Denim Aftershave (Vintage)

Boy, oh boy! What a great shave ...

After a rather disappointing experience with the regular green pack Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless and a handful of notes from a good few years ago when I first came to traditional shaving and tried these blades out for the first time, I went in rather fearing for the worst.

I've re-read opinions on this blade and got everything from "Feather sharp" to "actually not empirically sharp but does sharpen up during the first shave, then tails off" but it's my experience that counts and I am very happy to say that it was a good experience. Nay! Very good!

From the first stroke, the blade was very efficient! It is indeed sharp yet with a smoothness that I usually associate with good stainless blades rather than platinum blades. I tend to find platinum blades so smooth that they rather lose some of the feeling of sharpness that somehow gives a false impression of the blade - a bit like siuper-light power steering, you're not fully connected. It's for that reason that I tend to prefer stainless.

This blade is a platinum blade, but it is absolutely chalk and cheese different to the black packaged Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (India) which I used the other day. That blade is a super-smooth ride and very much akin to my general experiences of super platinum blades.

The Sharp Edge is different ...

I have a theory brewing and will take another couple of shaves with this blade. Suffice to say, it reminds me a LOT of another blade now manufactured by Gillette in their Russian factory, a blade you'd not normally associate with being a platinum blade and one which shaves super-sharp from the off as it's most recognisable characteristic.

Pre: hot bath, L’Oréal face scrub, hot towel to the face
Brush: yaqi 24mm purple haze
Soap: tobs peppermint
Razor: Rockwell 6s R4
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock sharpedge yellow
Post: pinaud clubman vanilla, nivea sensitive aftershave balm

DFS+
Good shave overall but decided to ditch the nivea stuff - not amazing for my skin and fed up with trying to use it up. Sneakily put it in bathroom where potentially my father or brother can use it lol!

I think I’ll give feather blade a try next time... let’s see how it compares to the ones I’ve recently tried

Fri 26th SOTD
Cream Omega Eucalyptus + Proraso Green
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor Yaqi DOC
Blade SuperMax SuperStainless 1st
Post & Aftershaves Thayers + Hyaluronic + Cella + Proraso Green Splash
Decided to combine using both my 1st & 2nd cream when just starting with DE. Missed the nice eucalyptus scent in both and the cooling with Proraso. The result was a very aromatic eucalyptus scent, thickly creamy and super slick lather...
Shave with razor paired with the blade was awesomely smooth, comfortable, and efficient for 3passes resulting in a BBS glass-like finish. Underrated and excellent blade this. The aftershaves combination (5drops each) was great too...very enjoyable session!
20210326_124154.jpg

Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Friday 26th March 2021

Shave Score 9.650/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing PreShave Cream
Soap: TFS - RasoZero - Barbacco (Tobacco)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm - Sagrada Familia Tuxedo
Razor: RazoRock GameChanger .84 SB
Blade: Gillette - Perma-Sharp (2)
Post Shave ASL: Figaro - AMBRA
Post Shave Balm: Barts - Ben Nevis (Ambra & Moroccan Jasminel)
Post Shave Cologne: John Vavartos - Artisan Pure

Ok a new day and a new razor, I am so happy I did a big chunk of reading before ordering the new RazoRock GameChanger .84 SB.

I of course took it easy with this razor on the first WTG pass to get to know it, sped up for the XTG pass, and was debating weather I needed a ATG pass at all, I still love the RR Lupo but this new razor is the next level, makes cold water shaving even more of a pleasure :)

First outing on the RasoZero Tobacco, masses of lather even in cold/hard water, subtle scent, very quick to build.

Might have found a new Blade to love too, the Perma-Sharp that has had an outing in both RR razors now was impeccably behaved and efficient.

Wish I could just shave again now, my face feels absolutely nothing apart from very clean, with zero stubble :)

Have a great Friday all, stay safe.

Joe.

IMG_0754.jpeg

165480806_447361933258447_8492182014506006410_n.jpg

Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Pre: Proraso Green pre-shave
Soap: Stirling Hipster
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Tuxedo
Razor: 1912 Deluxe
Blade: Personna Gem (4)

To paraphrase Dr Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, "By George, he's got it!" ;)

Everything clicked with the Ever Ready this morning. A lovely shave resulted as my confidence has grown with a few uses, the Hipster performed beautifully and the newly purchased Aqua teamed with the soap perfectly. Still plenty of life left in the Gem blade too. I'm so glad I've persevered with the 1912 as it does make the shave feel like an "event" rather than an everyday task.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom