SOTD : Saturday 17th July to Friday 23rd July 2021.

Good evening gents, I hope you’re all well.

Brush - Dcosmetics Badger
Razor - Progress (4,2)
Blade - Tiger Platinum #3
Soap - TGS Lemon Mint
Post - Baxters
Splash - TGS Lemon Mint

9C3A41FD-41F3-42F1-9888-7B9D884F907C.jpeg
As usual nothing exciting with the TGS setup. It does it’s job but that’s it.
The progress does a good job with the blade and I’m feeling smooth. Not as fresh as you’d expect with a lemon and mint soap and splash but hey ho!!
Have a great evening everyone.

19/07/2021

Razor: Yates 921-H
Blade: GSB (3)
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Soap: Stirling Strawberry Lemonade
ASL: Proraso Green
ASB: Proraso Green

Final shave with the Yates completed. I forgot to take a pic. Too desperate to get some cooling product on my face! I'll try not to waffle in my summary.

I haven't used the EH plate - I can tell in advance it's not my thing. I prefer the H plate over the M. After the initial learning curve I've decided I like the long thin handle. The stubby chubby handle can go to hell.

I've been curious about this razor for a while and I'm incredibly grateful to @Holyzeus for giving me the opportunity to try it. I now know I'm not going to buy one. Not because it's a bad razor but because it doesn't deliver anything special for me that would make it stand out in my den. Had I been at the start of my journey it would be a different matter. Buying the razor with an extra plate brings a fair amount of discount and it's possible to get the razor with 2 plates delivered to the UK for ~£125. That's good value for this razor.

Good evening gents, I hope you’re all well.

Brush - Dcosmetics Badger
Razor - Progress (4,2)
Blade - Tiger Platinum #3
Soap - TGS Lemon Mint
Post - Baxters
Splash - TGS Lemon Mint

View attachment 73919
As usual nothing exciting with the TGS setup. It does it’s job but that’s it.
The progress does a good job with the blade and I’m feeling smooth. Not as fresh as you’d expect with a lemon and mint soap and splash but hey ho!!
Have a great evening everyone.
It's really surprised me how much I am enjoying the Progress, it's a fine razor.

E2FD2299-34BD-4D8E-B3C6-6582C0650882.jpeg
Prep: Shower with PAA cube menthol.

Pre: PAA cube menthol.

Soap: Stirling Campania

Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake Two Band Badger

Razor: Leaf Twig

Blade: Persona Viking Sword

Still new to trying cold shaving, but this was a great start to the day! Fresh, light and a beautiful smell. Needed a slightly longer lather but well worth it. The Twig is an amazing little razor, smooth and efficient every time!

19/07/2021

Razor: Yates 921-H
Blade: GSB (3)
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Soap: Stirling Strawberry Lemonade
ASL: Proraso Green
ASB: Proraso Green

Final shave with the Yates completed. I forgot to take a pic. Too desperate to get some cooling product on my face! I'll try not to waffle in my summary.

I haven't used the EH plate - I can tell in advance it's not my thing. I prefer the H plate over the M. After the initial learning curve I've decided I like the long thin handle. The stubby chubby handle can go to hell.

I've been curious about this razor for a while and I'm incredibly grateful to @Holyzeus for giving me the opportunity to try it. I now know I'm not going to buy one. Not because it's a bad razor but because it doesn't deliver anything special for me that would make it stand out in my den. Had I been at the start of my journey it would be a different matter. Buying the razor with an extra plate brings a fair amount of discount and it's possible to get the razor with 2 plates delivered to the UK for ~£125. That's good value for this razor.
There seems to be a lot of difference between the blade gaps with the M & H plates, I'm surprised there is not a plate to bridge the gap between these two plates.
What's your take on this Chris?

Paul

2021-07-19 - El Jefe strikes again

kpuF30q.jpg

Prep: Cold Shower
Brush: Yaqi 26mm mysterious space tuxedo
Razor: Ikon SE El Jefe
Blade: Kai captain Titan mild (5)
Lather: Zingari - No. 1 - Soap
Post Shave: Zingari - No. 1 Recovery Splash

After last 2 shaves being with Koraat (not posted, sorry!), decided to pull out Ikon SE El Jefe to play!

Lathered up with zingari no1 - second use on it (acquired few weeks ago from Jay @Olie29 - thank you!). First one had a go at it with my shavemac - but it just couldn't produce enough of the lather despite 40 odd seconds load time. Today ended up grabbing my trusted yaqi synthetic. Soap delivered plenty of beautiful rose forward lather. Love it!

3 passes to BBS.. at cost of few weepers! That's what I get for not using it for a while! Interesting thing is - I've realised one trick about ikon. The base plate can be moved slightly - to increase or decrease blade exposure. @Satanfriendly Chris- were you aware of it?

Went with maximum blade exposure - and now we are talking. On previous uses I must have been somewhat in middle. Plenty of blade feel and really efficient. Nearly 2 days growth got taken down to DFS+ level with WTG and XTG pass. Third, ATG pass just finished it off for BBS face feeler. Excellent. 3 weepers since It's been a while that I had a go with it. I only wish that this head was SS instead of aluminum (in case of overtightening).

I think as it stands, with my half year of wetshaving experience - From SE format this El Jefe is my favourite (having tried 1912, MMOC, Hawk v2). From DE format - so far Blackbird owns that space (having tried about 10 razors for DE format). Straights? Can't really comment since I only tried & own 2 - but Koraat wins against my Dovo - due to sheer weight and size alone (guess here bigger is better lol!)

Have a good evening gentlemen!

SOTD : 20th July 2021.

6.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Cien Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears Transparent Bar Soap. + Nuage Menthol shaving Oil.
Brush: Omega 10051.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: : Haslinger Schafmilch & Lanolin Shaving Soap.
Blade : Dorco Titan. (D1)
Razor: Parker Variant. (Settings) 3-wtg,4-atg + Pick ups.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils. + 3 Menthol Crystals, Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Brut Attraction Totale ASL./Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB.

Greetings,

Early morning shave.

A good performance from the Haslinger Schafmilch...My mature skin loves shaving soap. that contains lanolin the slickness and post shave feel it delivers is superb...Wonderful stuff!

A Enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
Tue 20 SR SOTD
Soap La Toja Stick
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Gold Dollar 208
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Alum + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Another simple & budget soap that excels. Pleasant scent, easy to lather, nicely creamy, and very slick...
This is a shave with the razor after going thru the pasted balsa strop. Still smooth but noticeably sharper. Managed 3passes for sas++ results but with some creepers. My main area to improve is the atg stroke on the neck, it's too tentative...
Aftershaves as always...were great!
20210720_092641.jpg

There seems to be a lot of difference between the blade gaps with the M & H plates, I'm surprised there is not a plate to bridge the gap between these two plates.
What's your take on this Chris?

Paul
Hi Paul, the two Blade gaps are: M = 0.64mm H = 1.02mm. I was caught off guard when I first used the M plate. I felt that there was more blade feel than there actually was. I think this was a perception thing having spent the precious 6/7 weeks using AC razors. The blade gap sounds massive on the H plate but feels smooth and safe in use. For comparison, I'd say the Game Changer 84 feels more assertive than the H plate. It does feel like a nice step up from the M plate despite the exponential increase in gap.

Back
Top Bottom