SOTD : Saturday 16th May - Friday 22th May 2020

Date:- 19 May 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Admiral
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Fatboy (5) G2 1961 / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Monday 18th May

Soap - Noble Otter Monarch
Brush - Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor - RazoRock Game Changer
Blade - RapIra (1)
Post - L'oreal Birch Sap Balm
EdP - Tom Ford Neroli Portafino

Same set up as yesterday's Birthday Shave, (which seemed to have gone un-noticed on the forums), ((not that I relish birthdays with a '0' at the end !!)), except the blade - a fresh RapIra, that suits the Game Changer well, and provided a very smooth shave.

The Neroli Portafino was a birthday present from my wife.
I have the Mr Perfume oil of this scent, which my wife described as smelling like a household cleaner (I don't agree, and I think it's quite a good copy, but a fair bit stronger in scent strength)

Sorry ,Paul.....Belated birthday wishes mate.

Monday 18th May

Blade - RapIra (1)

Same set up as yesterday's Birthday Shave, (which seemed to have gone un-noticed on the forums), ((not that I relish birthdays with a '0' at the end !!)), except the blade - a fresh RapIra, that suits the Game Changer well, and provided a very smooth shave.

I have the Mr Perfume oil of this scent, which my wife described as smelling like a household cleaner (I don't agree, and I think it's quite a good copy, but a fair bit stronger in scent strength)
Belated congratulations, Paul. Apologies for missing the occasion yesterday.

SOTD : 19th May 2020.

View attachment 54674

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower / Original Source Cherry & Almond Shower Milk.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Soap Bar.

Brush : Yaqi ~ 24mm Naples Tuxedo Knot Synthetic.

Bowl Lather.

Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Soap: Haslinger ~ Aloe Vera Soap.

Blade: Gillette 7'O Clock Sharpedge. (3)

Razor: Parker 87R.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade peppermint eucalyptus, Tea Tree , lemon essential Oils + menthol crystals Witch Hazel Mixture./ Brut ~ Attraction Totale ASL.

L'0REAL ~ Soothing Birch Sap PSB.

Greetings,

Early morning Shave...

After the wonderful performance from the haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk shaving soap at the start of the weekend i've used the aloe vera shaving soap the only difference with the aloe vera soap is it doesn't contain lanolin and like the Schafmilch Sheep Milk has a very faint clean fragrance when wet.

If you like a shaving soap with a strong fragrance, then you will be disappointed with haslinger soap ,as both soaps have a mild unique fragrance which will put some people off using .My personal opinion though is both soaps are exactly the same in performance,slickness protection & post shave feel which for me is the most important thing in a shaving soap or cream..As always opinions are very subjective.YMMV.

Each and every shave that i've had with the Parker 87R the results have been excellent today was no exception.

The Gillette 7'O Clock SE are such a smooth all round efficient smooth blade pairing together with 87r superbly resulting in another very enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups near BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with some generous dollop of L'0REAL ~ Soothing Birch Sap PSB.

My face is feeling smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your Day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Good morning Palmolive fox, all,

Just going through some recent SOTDs, before I post mine from this morning.....The set up you have posted above sounds / looks great. As for the Parker 87r, I am tempted, love the TTO aspect, and the 'fat' handle / detail....but if it's more aggressive than a Merkur 34c, then I won't get on with it.....what do you think?

Tuesday

OSP Neroli
PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm synth
Face lather
Gillette New Standard (English razor in Canadian box)
Polsilver SI (2)
Thayer's Lavender and Aloe Vera
4711 EdC

A belter of a shave this morning with the assertive New. OSP Neroli is definitely one of my favourite soaps too.

View attachment 54679
19-5-20 (3).jpg

Razor> Fa Tip Grande (OC)
Blade> Astra green
Brush> Omega Pro 49
Soap> Proraso green
AS splash> Proraso
Balm> Proraso

A trouble free shave. Although, having not used the Fa Tip open comb for a while (34c, Fa Tip Gentile and Baili TTO accounting for 99% of shaves over last 6 months) It certainly felt much more aggressive than I remembered it!
Note: Just started a new sleeve of Astra green blades (100 blades plus 1 stick Arko for under £10, Amazon) and noticed that the wrappers have writing on them, and are more substantial (although still single wrapped) than previous, also, NO glue spots.....or any glue, in fact.

Have a good day, all.

Last edited:
@Paul L
Totally missed your birthday young Paul. Here's a belated birthday bear.
1f9f8.png

Tue 19th May.

RazoRock 400.Se-Plissoft noir
P&B Pall Mall
RazoRock S/S Hawk V3-OC, HD Handle
Schick Proline [ 3 ]
Massimo Dutti A/S Lotion

I have really got used to this Razor very quickly, but I do have experience of the V1. However, this being open comb is more aggressive and the head is smaller making it excellent on the upper lip. Another rather good trouble free Shave with an excellent close all round shave.Despite being Open Comb I am having no problems using its a Daily Shaver, 7 consecutive Shaves so far.

IMG_0751.jpg

Looks a Lovely shave I , how are the PAA soaps ?
I'd recommend them to you - among the best performing I own - well thought out and complex scents, stupidly easy to lather and pretty good value for money - a little goes a very long way. In addition to Harvest Moon - I have CaD - their take on barbershop - and it is one of my most frequently used products. Goes a treat with Epsilon Blue aftershave. Most importantly - from your point of view - is that all their soap bases are vegan. PAA produce a bewildering array of stuff - razors and brushes in addition to software. Some of the post shave balms look really interesting but I've never seen them offered by a UK or European seller - Shaving Station sell the 'core' range - if you wanted to take your chances with customs - I'm assuming it is the same deal in Ireland? - this is the company website - https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/

@Paul L - sorry mate - my turn to apologise - I too completely missed that - happy birthday - I hope you had a good day. I agree with your comment - ageing has never bothered me - there are few things more futile than trying to resist it - but I had a real wobble when I became 50 a couple of years ago - I was surprised at myself. This was a source of some amusement to my partner - who is older than me - and had the same experience turning 50 - which I was completely unsympathetic about at the time. She was very gracious - and didn't rub it in - too much.

Cheers - both - I.

Monday 18th May

Blade - RapIra (1)

Another belated birthday wish

Good morning Palmolive fox, all,

Just going through some recent SOTDs, before I post mine from this morning.....The set up you have posted above sounds / looks great. As for the Parker 87r, I am tempted, love the TTO aspect, and the 'fat' handle / detail....but if it's more aggressive than a Merkur 34c, then I won't get on with it.....what do you think?
Good morning,
Long story short to is the Parker 87r, more aggressive than the Merkur 34c?..

In a nutshell, yes it is. But any razor can be 'more aggressive' if the user makes it aggressive .All my Parker TTO models have the same head, have a good weight, the only difference is the handle lenght. However, the three piece models i find more efficient. Like any razor it takes a few shaves to adjust, Parkers i find need a steeper shaving angle than other razors too.

Personally i find 99% of good shaving results is down to technique shaving confidence, & finding a blade that is suited to your skin type.

If you like the merkur 34c short handle, then the parker 87r maybe the razor for you,but it is more aggressive/assertive than the 34c.

Hope this helps..remember opinions & reviews are very subjective.

Take care,and enjoy your shaves.

Regards. Barry. (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom