SOTD: Saturday 15th -Friday 21st June 2019.

Thank's for the feedback Paul. I to find that the KAI blades is the best blade for the AS-D2. Luckily I have a fair amount of KAI blades in stock.
I have a shed load of the Lodz, Poland Polsilver Stainless blades so if they work for me that's just fine but there is no denying the Kai blades are very good blades.

SOTD 20190618.

e6aCXkx.jpg

Custom "Bethlehem" handle / MÜHLE silver tip fibre knot.
Stirling "Varen" shaving soap (sample).
Vintage Gillette NEW (SC, made in USA) / Stork "Advoco" handle.
Voskhod Teflon (6).
Stirling "Varen" ASB (sample).

18/6/19

Brush - Zenith Euro X
Soap - Vitos Red Coco
Razor - Ball End Tech
Blade - Treet 7 Days (4)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Nivea Cooling Kick
AS - Superdrug Sierra Breeze

Great shave today, the blade has lost a bit of the sharpness and has smoothed out a bit. A rare outing for my Zenith Euro X, the unbleached bristle Zenith which without a moment's hesitation is my favourite boar brush. It has the most backbone and seems to be the most efficient for creating lather as well.

SOTD, Tuesday 18 June 2019.

Pre-shave: Warm shower, Wright's cold tar soap, and cold water splash.
Soap: The Gentleman's Groom Room - Essence of Scotland Mountain Yew.
Brush: Simpsons Duke 2 - Best Badger.
Bowl: Giles Shavng Co - Spotty Pedestal.
Razor: Pils 101NE.
Blade: Feather (Hi Stainless) (Day 3)
Post: Cold water, Fine 'Snakebite', followed by Ibiza Aloe - Aloe vera gel.
Cologne: Jo Malone - Huntsman Whiskey and Cedarwood.

A nice relaxed 2 pass shave to start the day; WTG and XTG face with a WTG and ATG on the neck area - DFS with no issues to report.

The Snakebite felt amazing this morning, a real wake up, face freeze; the Huntsman cologone was devine, spicy and warm, which still lingers slightly; a good match with the Grrom Room Mountain Yew soap.

All the best,

Chris

Tuesday 18th June

Heno de Pravia Glycerine Soap
Cyril R Salter Shaving Soap
Yaqi with a Maggards 24mm 2BB/Boar
Yintal 'Bronze' with a Feather Hi Stainless Blade
Witch Hazel
Palmer's Moisturiser
Agua Lavanda Puig

2 passes for a super smooth and comfortable finish........perfect!

Leaving for N Ireland today for a few days. Although it is for a family wedding....I am really looking forward to the GOT exhibition which is currently running in the GOT studio in Belfast. It will be good to 'recharge the batteries for a few days:)
What do you think of the Yintal razor? I have the same one in the silver colour but have held back from using it as I thought it looks a tad aggressive

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

What do you think of the Yintal razor? I have the same one in the silver colour but have held back from using it as I thought it looks a tad aggressive

It's not as mild as a Tech and not aggressive as an R41....somewhere in the middle. It's a good efficient razor and today I used it with a Feather with no mishaps! I originally bought mine for the handle but it was so good I have continued to use it

18/06/19
Pre shave prep: Pears Transparent Lemon flower
Brush: Omega 63185 Pure Badger
Soap: P&B Star Noir
Razor: Occam Classic V1 Plate #1
Blade: Feather pro PB (7)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Witch Hazel
Balm: Floïd AS Balm
A/S: Floïd Mentolado VIgaroso

Occams P&B.jpg

An outing for the Occams V1 today, I also decided to change the plate to the single Dot. As had been mentioned on the forum the screws were very tight, instead of using the set of mini drivers I used the smallest long handle driver from an electricians set i have and had no issues with the screws. Loaded up with the Feather PB with a nice lather from the P&B soap and Omega, again shavings pressed into the bowl as the brush is soft and does not pick up well from the tub. A nice slick lather mixed up in the Giles, lovely.
A very nice 2 Pass shave WTG & XTG/AGT mix, then a seek and destroy pick up pass. On the 1 Dot plate the Occams is very mild and comfortable, after yesterdays very close shave there was not a lot to go at. The razor was very forgiving and i don't think it would stand up against stronger stubble on the 1 Dot. I will give it a few run outs on this plate before changing back to #2.
A Nice post shave routine starting with a rub of the Barts Balm Peppermint balm and oil just for the face feel i get, finishing with the Floïd AS Balm,
& a splash of Floïd Mentolado VIgaroso.
BBS again and smelling good sitting in the afterglow mentally invigorated.
Enjoy your day All
PS @The Geordie Shaver @Ferrum @patw
The tool i used for plate changes.

20190618_125013.jpg

It's not as mild as a Tech and not aggressive as an R41....somewhere in the middle. It's a good efficient razor and today I used it with a Feather with no mishaps! I originally bought mine for the handle but it was so good I have continued to use it
Sounds much nicer than I was expecting! I also bought it for the handle but I'm still working my way through the results of my RAD!

Tuesday 18th June
Yaqi Moka Mew Brown - OSP Sandalwood - PAL Injectomatic - Personna Stainless #1 - Alum - Old Spice A/S - Dove Nourishing Cream
lXRUK61.jpg

For my first ever shave with the Pal I decided to use a Personna blade from the mag that came with the razor.
Pleased I did as I got a great, smooth result.
I'll continue with this combination to see how it performs over the next few shaves.

Sotd-18-6.jpg

Sotd - Tuesday the 18th of June -

Razor - Every Ready 'Streamline'
blade - ER Corrux (3)
soap - Kent hard tallow
brush - AP Shave Co. 24mm SilkSmoke
post - witch hazel
a/s - Epsilon
balm - De Vergulde Hand.

Result - excellent.

Nothing to complain about at all - the vintage blade is mellowing out nicely - the Streamline is a razor that just suits me - it copes with my 'problem areas' without incident. Very efficient but still remaining smooth in use. As said before - it wouldn't be the first I would recommend if you wanted to try a vintage Ever Ready for the first time - it is very much a 1912 for grown ups - I'm not being rude about the 1912's - they are considered classics for a reason - I own two of them - but they are considerably more forgiving in use - while still giving superb results - plus there are loads of them around which can be picked up for not that much. I must use the DVH balm more - it is very thick - more like a moisturiser - my skin seems to appreciate it. So job done - smoother than an otter in a silk kimono reading Proust.

The A.P Shave Co. brush was a recent purchase after @patw posted a picture of a SilkSmoke knot that I initially thought was badger - historically I haven't got on with synthetic brushes - I use - grudgingly - a SatinTip Finest for travel - solely because they are more practical - but I don't think I have ever enjoyed using it - but its healthy to confront your prejudices every now and again. I went for the 24mm sized UBrush as I seem to be gravitating towards smaller knots these days - you choose the top and bottom section when you order - they offer 4 different hair types and a flat top version. My first attempt to use it was a bit of a disaster - in retrospect I realise that I had no idea how much water the thing holds and ruined a PAA lather - not an easy thing to do. Subsequent attempts have been much better - good even - the shafts are extremely springy but the tips very soft - a bit weird at first. I tried using it with hard soaps - Wickham, Salter and Kent - much better - it rips into the soap with alacrity - and works really well with this sort of product. Hell - I'm enjoying using it - the handle is excellent - and you are never going to be precious about it like a £200 badger. Expectations confounded - good and proper - it won't just be for travel. I'm not going to give up my badger, boar or horse brushes any time soon but the SilkSmoke deserves regular use. Finally - Andrew at AP Shave Company - the initials are his name - was excellent to deal with - friendly and any comms answered super quick. I'd recommend them without hesitation. No customs issues.

Enjoy your shaves one and all - cheers - I.

Tuesday evening

Phoenix and Beau Star Noir
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm synth
Face lather
ER 1912 (Made in England)
Gem SS PTFE
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Fine Italian Citrus

All good tonight. A comfortable three pass shave, with some buffing (new blade required).
I hadn't used P&B Star Noir for some time. Very good performance. I like the fragrance; apparently inspired by David Bowie's love of a smell by Paloma Picasso, Minotaure. I haven't smelt the stuff; but I have heard the original version was one of those 1980s powerhouse fragrances. If that is the case, it's toned down nicely in the soap (I'm not a fan of those big, belting projectors - if that is what Minotaure is). There's also a nod to Creed's Silver Mountain Water; which I do like. Sadly, it doesn't last long enough on me to justify the price.

Anyhoo...enough rambling. All components worked well, and finished off with a nice whiff of bergamot and menthol, from one of Mr. Fine's finest.

46D45163-BAFC-40BD-9F86-8FBE399D8938.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_20190618_183732__01.jpg

Blackland Vector (on loan)
Feather Professional
Zenith Manchurian
Fine Accoutrements Platinum soap and matching aftershave

Tried the Feather Professional in the Vector (on loan from @Acer89 ).
I found the first pass rough and tuggy. Pretty much how I remember Feather blades. Fortunately the shave improved from the second pass onwards. There was some feedback when applying the aftershave but it soon subsided and I was left with great results.

Cheers
Rob

Back
Top Bottom