SOTD: Saturday 14 th March to 20Th March 2020

Thur 19th March

The Grosvenor [ 404-mixed ]
L`Occitane Cade Soap
Schick J3-Golden 500
Schick S/S-Chick [ 3 ]
Puig Quorum A/S Lotion

The Golden 500 is a Razor that always delivers a smooth Shave, but for some reason the relatively fresh blade did not want to clear the stubble. The Shave was not particularly uncomfortable just the blade was not effective, will just have to try a new one tomorrow.

IMG_0622.jpg

Last edited:
19/03/20
Pre: Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Soap: Stirling Soap co. Sandalwood
Razor: Rocnel SE-P 316
Blade: Perma-Sharp SE
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, EO Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Proraso Red

P3140018.JPG

I was lucky enough to adopt the "Most F£$$&N' dangerous Razor in the World" from Arthur @Electrif in the Rocnel SE-P.
Its a very weighty razor and i think with a bit blade prep delivers a fantastic no issue shave.
A great Lather today from the brush and soap, mixed up in the Bideford pottery bowl, i really like the Stirling Soap Co. products
A new Perma-Sharp fitted in the SE-P, i clip the corners of the cutting edge as these can sometime scratch in certain areas.
3 Passes for a nice comfortable BBS finish. Very Nice.

Using This Razor always puts a smile on my face as around the time i adopted it i watched a video of 1st use of this razor.
I would not let the bloke near a sharp stick never mind a razor.
For your viewing pleasure:-

Enjoy your day All

19/3/20

Soap - Proraso Green
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow Faux Horse
Razor - Ball End Tech
Blade - Rockwell (1)/ Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp (3)
Post - Witch Hazel/Alum
Balm - Nivea Cooling
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum Mentholated

First time using a Rockwell razor blade today and it lasted a few strokes before as it might be one of the worst tuggiest, blunt blades I've come across and it was replaced by the 7 Green Indian which I managed to finish the shave but it wasn't a great one, managed to tear my face up a bit; a rare outing for the alum block to clear up the blood.

Anyway chaps, have a good day.

The theme for yesterday evening's shaving activity was 'A dangerous liaison'

IMG_20200318_213219.jpg

The Challenge - Ikon Tech
Beneath The Surface - Gillette 7 O'Clock
The Key - Cadman Tuxedo
Success - ADP Collezione Barbiere
A final request - Floris Santal

This evening saw a first outing for my recent acquisition of an Ikon Tech head after my 'Want to buy' on the BST. One kind offer later from @Ferrum, who in passing has the most beautiful handwriting I have seen for a long time, and my quest was complete. To be honest his PM's read more like a government health warning than a 'I have one'. Brilliant and just what I was expecting.

Few notable facts.

First the screw thread is quite long and the thread on my chosen ATT Colossus handle too short, so out the window went that pairing. Fortunately I have a couple of Ikon OSS handles and as expected perfect.
Secondly being aluminium it wasn't the weight I am more used to, but on a second thought any heavier and this thing would be reclassified as a guillotine.
Thirdly, the blade exposure is vicious. As someone recently described it, 'A murderers tool'.

I originally looked for a Tech more on the back of its reputation and because I am very used to shaving with what I thought was a nasty bit of kit in the B1 but the word on the street was there was an even more ferocious relative out there. And here it is. And yes it is. More ferocious that is. Based on this I decided to start with a less prominently sharp blade than my usual Lodz so that I could get a better gauge as to how it handles in general. Step up a Gillette 7 O'Clock which is among my top blades at the moment. By no means a surprise, it takes much the same steep shaving angle as the B1. It took less than a few seconds to arrive at this fact and even less to deduct that without due care and attention this thing was going to rip in to me. First stroke giving cause to wince a little with the blade feel. Loads and loads of feedback to let you know events are happening and how far through the events one actually is. The feedback goes something down the lines of 'Kill Kill Kill'

Whereas I find it easy to fling a B1 around my face the additional blade exposure removed the words 'easy' and 'fling' and replaced them with the words 'Don't be stupid'. A few 'Don't be stupid' strokes later and I am starting to come to terms with this potential blood letting creation and take control of matters. It needs utmost respect and 100% of your attention. Any less and it could be a visit to the A&E. But......a bit of due diligence later and the first pass has me astounded. I mean really astounded. It is already at the level most three full pass shaves could achieve and where I would declare 'smoother than....' followed by some silly statement and a Giphy.

Do I go further? Well why not. XTG and ATG passes were made with additional care and no great problems other than the background threat. Around the chin and ATG under the nose were cringe worthy but using the tiniest of strokes, manageable. End results? Brilliant to an extremely close level and I can't decide if I am smooth because there are no bristles remaining or I have removed most of my epidermis. Blood was always going to be an inevitable matter and amazingly outside of a few stealth weepers little or nothing. I was expecting worse

And yes I do.

I give this razor a big thumbs up but I can see why it is not for many and lives unloved in darkened corners. I don't think it is a razor I would give my full recommendation to as there are too many 'musts' attached, but if you can live with ultra aggressive or looking for a shave with 'fear factor' then it is well worth a look in. It really does deliver the closest of close shaves and it really does make a 41 look child friendly. As for safety bar, I fail to find exactly what safe means here.

I am very happy to have it join the small army of razors I am amassing and it will definitely see regular use but more for shifting a few days growth as against to being a daily driver. I don't think I could live with it to that extent. And I will definitely not be shaving my testicles with it.

Have safe days everyone and let us hope this virus situation improves quickly

And to help @RussellR5555 get to understand Japanese metal/punk better I give you Aldious. Pretty frocks, pretty bows, high heeled shoes and as heavy as you fucking want

Last edited:

View attachment 52601

The Key - Cadman Tuxedo

This evening saw a first outing for my recent acquisition of an Ikon Tech head after my 'Want to buy' on the BST. One kind offer later from @Ferrum, who in passing has the most beautiful handwriting I have seen for a long time, and my quest was complete. To be honest his PM's read more like a government health warning than a 'I have one'. Brilliant and just what I was expecting.

Few notable facts.

First the screw thread is quite long and the thread on my chosen ATT Colossus handle too short, so out the window went that pairing. Fortunately I have a couple of Ikon OSS handles and as expected perfect.
Secondly being aluminium it wasn't the weight I am more used to, but on a second thought any heavier and this thing would be reclassified as a guillotine.
Thirdly, the blade exposure is vicious. As someone recently described it, 'A murderers tool'.

I originally looked for a Tech more on the back of its reputation and because I am very used to shaving with what I thought was a nasty bit of kit in the B1 but the word on the street was there was an even more ferocious relative out there. And here it is. And yes it is. More ferocious that is. Based on this I decided to start with a less prominently sharp blade than my usual Lodz so that I could get a better gauge as to how it handles in general. Step up a Gillette 7 O'Clock which is among my top blades at the moment. By no means a surprise, it takes much the same steep shaving angle as the B1. It took less than a few seconds to arrive at this fact and even less to deduct that without due care and attention this thing was going to rip in to me. First stroke giving cause to wince a little with the blade feel. Loads and loads of feedback to let you know events are happening and how far through the events one actually is. The feedback goes something down the lines of 'Kill Kill Kill'

Whereas I find it easy to fling a B1 around my face the additional blade exposure removed the words 'easy' and 'fling' and replaced them with the words 'Don't be stupid'. A few 'Don't be stupid' strokes later and I am starting to come to terms with this potential blood letting creation and take control of matters. It needs utmost respect and 100% of your attention. Any less and it could be a visit to the A&E. But......a bit of due diligence later and the first pass has me astounded. I mean really astounded. It is already at the level most three full pass shaves could achieve and where I would declare 'smoother than....' followed by some silly statement and a Giphy.

Do I go further? Well why not. XTG and ATG passes were made with additional care and no great problems other than the background threat. Around the chin and ATG under the nose were cringe worthy but using the tiniest of strokes, manageable. End results? Brilliant to an extremely close level and I can't decide if I am smooth because there are no bristles remaining or I have removed most of my epidermis. Blood was always going to be an inevitable matter and amazingly outside of a few stealth weepers little or nothing. I was expecting worse

And yes I do.

I give this razor a big thumbs up but I can see why it is not for many and lives unloved in darkened corners. I don't think it is a razor I would give my full recommendation to as there are too many 'musts' attached, but if you can live with ultra aggressive or looking for a shave with 'fear factor' then it is well worth a look in. It really does deliver possibly one of the closest shaves to date and it really does make a 41 look child friendly. As for safety bar, I fail to find exactly what safe means here.

I am very happy to have it join the small army of razors I am amassing and it will definitely see regular use but more for shifting a few days growth as against to being a daily driver. I don't think I could live with it to that extent. And I will definitely not be shaving my testicles with it.

And to help @RussellR5555 get to understand Japanese metal/punk better I give you Aldious. Pretty frocks, pretty bows, high heeled shoes and as heavy as you fucking want

Awesome write up and thank you for the education !

View attachment 52601

The Key - Cadman Tuxedo

Few notable facts.

And yes I do.

I give this razor a big thumbs up but I can see why it is not for many and lives unloved in darkened corners. I don't think it is a razor I would give my full recommendation to as there are too many 'musts' attached, but if you can live with ultra aggressive or looking for a shave with 'fear factor' then it is well worth a look in. It really does deliver possibly one of the closest shaves to date and it really does make a 41 look child friendly. As for safety bar, I fail to find exactly what safe means here.

Good music with eyecandy......I assume you don't listen while you are shaving!

Good music with eyecandy......I assume you don't listen while you are shaving!

Every possibility but the latest Otoboke Beaver album has just arrived through the door and is going to rip the quiet peace in the house to shreds

Awesome write up and thank you for the education !

Thank you and honestly well worth the experience and results

Last edited:
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

1958 Executive/Feather
custom badger in ebony made by Sir Brian years ago
Salter vetiver shaving cream
no after shave needed
AOS sandalwood/cedar EdT

Whew, nice returning to this razor/blade combo! That New Deluxe took lots of attention and zero pressure and when used with care delivers a very nice shave. This old Gillette razor requires no real concentrating, other than me feeling this design fits perfect even with a Feather blade.

BBS results,

Martin

19/03/20
Pre: Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Soap: Stirling Soap co. Sandalwood
Razor: Rocnel SE-P 316
Blade: Perma-Sharp SE
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, EO Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Proraso Red

View attachment 52617

I was lucky enough to adopt the "Most F£$$&N' dangerous Razor in the World" from Arthur @Electrif in the Rocnel SE-P.
Its a very weighty razor and i think with a bit blade prep delivers a fantastic no issue shave.
A great Lather today from the brush and soap, mixed up in the Bideford pottery bowl, i really like the Stirling Soap Co. products
A new Perma-Sharp fitted in the SE-P, i clip the corners of the cutting edge as these can sometime scratch in certain areas.
3 Passes for a nice comfortable BBS finish. Very Nice.

Using This Razor always puts a smile on my face as around the time i adopted it i watched a video of 1st use of this razor.
I would not let the bloke near a sharp stick never mind a razor.
For your viewing pleasure:-

Enjoy your day All
That guy in the Video is very funny ! and you have to admit that is seriously ugly Razor :)

Thursday AM 2020-03-19

Rooney 3/1 Ivory Finest (22/50)
Woods of Windsor shaving soap (tallow)
Gillette New Long Comb/Bob's Razor Works Amboyna Burl
Personna Super Platinum Chrome (11)
Woods of Windsor aftershave

A great shave. With care and the right technique, I can get as close and smooth a shave with the old Gillette as I do with a modern Paradigm or Wolfman.
iOczAx9.jpg

OzeXO0g.jpg

Back
Top Bottom