SOTD : Saturday 13th February to Friday 19th February 2021

Wed 17th February

RR 400. SE-Plissoft noir
OSP Bay Rum
RR Hawk V3-A plate
Schick Proline [ 2 ]
Pitralon Polar A/S Lotion.

Had a bit of a rummage before todays Shave and came up with the OSP soap, which I had not used for an age.I honestly had forgotten just how good it is, a super lather made the Shave a real pleasure and resulted in a bit of a "Face Stroker".

IMG_1327.jpg

WEDNESDAY ‌02/17/21 SOTD
Gillette ‘53 Y2 President / Nacet
WCS 26mm Synthetic BOSS knot
Ethos /CBL Fresh Lime Shave Soap
Epsilon Blue Mediterranean AS

SnpM8Gs.jpg
Wow! That's s lovely picture of your gear!

Paul.

20210202_112513.jpg
SOTW - 4 for Feb (Week 3)
Brush - Razorock Monster 26mm Plissoft
Razor - Rockwell 6c ( various settings)
Blade - Silver Star Super Stainless
Soap - Reef Point Calming Spice
Post - Brut lotion and L'Oréal Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap

4 beautiful shaves. Everything worked in harmony.
Discovered a fantastic new blade that I'll try in the other razors - sharp but very smooth and lasted the 4 shaves easily.
Great soap from a sadly discontinued producer - wish I knew the scent profile. Post shave that left my skin feeling refreshed but soothed.
And a razor that is absolutely solid in its performance - its never ever let me down or given me a problem - probably my "The One"!

17 February

Wickham 1912 Cashmere
Simpson M7 Manchurian
Rockwell 6S (R4)
Feather Hi-stainless
Bart’s Grapefruit and Pink Pepper asb

63E0C1AB-3D71-4937-85E7-7EBD41447B07.jpeg

A very pleasant two pass shave this morning. The Cashmere soap works really well with my hard water to produce a rich and subtly scented lather, and the Rockwell razor is always reliable.

IMG_20210217_121926-01.jpeg

A series of recent purchases have made a couple of comparison shaves inevitable and today was the first of them; the Merkur 37C versus the Razorock German 37. I loaded both razors with new Astra Superior Platinum blades and shaved the right half of my face with the Razorock and used the Merkur on the left.

This was also the first outing of my newest and instantly most favourite Simpson’s brush, the Milk Churn. The handle and loft are fantastic, and it paints like a dream. :)

This was a citrus shave, using Suezbana’s Lemon & Tea Tree cream. I managed to squeeze out a final few drops of Trumper’s Limes Aftershave. They have STUPIDLY discontinued this, my favourite splash. The cologne is good but simply not as fresh.

If I may begin with the conclusion. There’s not a lot to differentiate the performance of these razors. That’s an expected result, given they have the same heritage, a previous iteration of the Merkur. Overall I would say that the Razorock is ever so slightly more aggressive and efficient but not by much. There was a smidgeon more blade feel on the first pass and it took off slightly more stubble.

On subsequent passes the Merkur caught up. It gave more audible feedback, perhaps due to having a hollow handle, compared to the solid handle on the Razorock. Towards the end of the second pass, I noticed that the Merkur glided more smoothly across my skin, possibly due to the flat portion of the head cap having a smaller area. Both coped well in the final pass ATG and around my mouth.

I instinctively used the Merkur for pick ups, it feels more nimble than the Razorock and is certainly lighter, weighing 78.1g, the Razorock on HD handle is 101.5g.

These are closely matched and both very good razors. They’re not too aggressive, yet can provide very close shaves. Given that the shaves are so close, the distinguishing factors come down to price, whether you prefer a lighter or heavier razor and if you like the ease of a two piece or the flexibility of a three piece. If you had to press me to chose, I would go for the Merkur because I’m more familiar with it, it’s lighter and I like the brand. Rationally however, the Razorock is exceptional value as you get a great head and a stainless steel handle for less money. You can’t really go wrong with either.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves!

Razors: Razorock German 37 and Merkur 37C
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (1)
Soap: Suezbana’s Lemon & Tea Tree cream
Brush: Simpson’s Milk Churn BB
Pre-shave: Proraso green
Post-shave: Trumper’s Limes Aftershave
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper

17/2/21

Razor - Flat Bottom Tech
Blade - Euromax Platinum (2)
Brush - Omega/GFS Wild Hog
Soap - Arko
Post - Benjamins Bay Rum

The Euromax blade was feeling a little rough on it's 2nd shave but the results were good nonetheless.

Second time using the GFS Wild Hog brush, early days using it which is a larger boar brush than the ones I am used to using (the Wild Hog is 26/57mm, whilst my other boars are 22-24mm) and it's clear a larger boar definitely retains heat a lot more than a smaller one. In addition it seems to require twice as much soap, I literally loaded enough soap for 4 lathers with my other brushes but had enough lather for a pass and half, but I presume that's partly down to the brush being new.

Razor = Gillette Sticky
Blade = Winner
Brush = Alpha Rubberset 400 Travel
Soap = Osp Number 8 Sample
Balm = Nivea Skin Energy
Splash = Skin Bracer
Bowl = Collapsable Dog Bowl :D

This was one of the best shaves this month.
The OSP sample no 8 is exactly what you want from a soap, and i’m so glad iv been introduced to these,
For my liking i would like a bit more scent but i know that’s not to everyone’s liking.
As much as i try i just can’t guess what’s in this sample but i do like it a lot.
The Razor was a first & last for me.
I bought it gave it a clean up and wanted to try it before moving it on.
The Razor shaves really well however for me it’s just that bit to mild,
it actually reminds me of a Rockwell 6s on setting one.
over all it’s a good razor and at over 30 years old it’s in remarkable condition.
The blade again was a the Winner 2nd use and fast becoming one of my favourites it really is that good, Second use was exactly the same as the first, Really worth a try for anyone who’s not tried them.
I need to Remember the model of this blade as i noticed this morning Winner had a different blade.
The shave wouldn’t be have as good if it wasn’t for my dog bowl lol. Stay Safe Boys
334D1006-E557-4DEE-B443-6A728A320DB0.png

Wednesday 17th February

ACtC-3d1cz4Gp8ChzvTp52uPayXZ8lR3-nmpD3uiCCpvjd7du6ngwx8MQlcZNM0_6AffuFhQqWxu_S1WDhBWcbEMTr106-T8TGNcZyJdP1e3rhxCKZ8k17OEd-qnzZ3EtlTqxn5L1Kh3kOEDEmnRke_GMpnN9A=w1200

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Wickham 1912 Christmas Spruce Shaving Soap
Semogue SOC Butterscotch (Boar)
Muhle Rocca R95
Vidyut Rise Stainless (1)
Novaya Zarya Russian Forest

Gosh! That was unexpected ...

The Rise Stainless is made by Vidyut Metallics Ltd, the folks behind Vidyut, Zorrik and, of course, SuperMax. This blade is a real outlier and little is known about it. I guess it's sold in a rather restricted market. Other than who makes it, the only other thing we know is that it is Stainless. Stainless? Super Stainless? Stainless!

... and so the only way to get to know it is to try it.

Immediately smooth and it is sharp. It is! I learned that after auto-piloting and was brought up sharp with a nick! I don't ever get nicks. In fact, the last time I did was when trying out the Gillette London Bridge, which is indeed a VERY sharp blade. Before that, probably years have passed. This is not quite up there in terms of sharpness, but it is getting there - I have two little patches which I often have to go over twice or just leave in my single pass shave. The PermaSharp Super always gets it in one, the Gillette London Bridge did and the Super Gillette Blue did; this blade did, also. It is certainly nowhere near as fierce as the Gillette London Bridge and really a very pleasant experience from the off.

It put me in mind of the Lord Classic - smooth and a definite cut above the rest of the range. With this Rise Stainless, it is indeed a cut above the other Stainless and Super Stainless blades I've been trying from SuperMax and while I enjoyed those and would certainly use most of them again and again, this is a blade I particularly enjoy. Yes! It very much holds the same sort of standing as the Lord Classic over and above its peers from that house.

Like a Lord Classic tamed the Gillette London Bridge.

Also enjoyed was Wickham's 1912 Christmas Spruce, a soap scent that puts me very much in mind of Puig Quorum Silver flanker. It's not just for Christmas and so I can use it more often throughout the year, I'm going to rename it in my mind as Silver Spruce.

Back
Top Bottom