SOTD : Saturday 12th May - Friday 18th May 2018.

Friday AM 2018-05-18

Georgetown Pottery G20 scuttle
Rooney 3/3 Ivory Finest (26/60)
Floris Elite shaving cream (vintage)
RazoRock Mamba/UFO Titan Fine
Wilkinson Light Brigade (9)
Floris Elite aftershave (vintage)

This is one of the great creams. And I believe the aftershave eventually was reformulated: I tried the modern version some years back when first getting back into wet shaving and found it to be harsh and metallic, but this vintage one is quite nice, complex and mellow.
UrrAB5b.jpg

Friday 18th May 2018
SOTD 18 May.jpg
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + Bulldog face wash and Proraso white
Razor: Supply V2 3 dot plate
Blade: Schick Proline (#2)
Brush: Maseto 24mm 2 band finest extra density
Soap: Valobra menthol
Bowl: Korium
AS: Nivea 2 phase

_DSC2585.jpg
soap: I Coloniali Rabarbaro
brush: Yaqi 24 mm Tuxedo
razor: Heljestrand Mk2

Scent is strange but in an interesting way, I like it.
(Got inspired and harvested some rhubarb in the garden and made a crumble, served with bourbon vanilla ice cream and black coffe, all in an effort to match shave:))

20180518_193841_1526668964958-2469x1850.jpg 20180518_193724_1526669096329-2204x1652.jpg

Two shaves from this week

Wednesday night's DE shave with the New LC. 3 full passes and I was BDBS.

JR168 tuxedo synthetic brush
Phoenix and Beau Whitechapel soap
Gillette New LC
Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade
A little alum
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Old Spice After Shave Lotion

...Then Friday night's straight shave. Three passes with the Wostenholm left me with a BBS and no weepers.

Maseto 30mm silvertip
D R Harris Arlington soap
Geo. Wostenholm and Sons Pipe Razor
A little alum and
L'Oreal Men Expert Post Shave balm

Have a lovely weekend gentlemen.

Prep:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: I Coloniali
Razor: Schick Injector Type L2 Grip
Blade: Schick Injector P-30 (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel / Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Scent: Boellis Panama 1924

Only a two day growth, which was much more suitable for the Schick Injector razor. Three passes for a DFS+. I'm thinking that one of these razors would make a fine daily driver.
Hadn't used the I Coloniali soap for a while, and forgot what a wonderful soap it is. A thirsty vegetable-based Italian soap which rewards the user with dense fragrant lather with excellent glide, cushion and slickness. Unlike many vegetable soaps, it has very respectable residual slickness, and is a pleasure to use.

What you said mate - does anybody know why this is the case? Is it that tallow has been appropriated by another industrial process that can pay higher prices than soap makers for it - or are the compliance rules for using fat of an animal origin becoming uneconomic? Have the companies done their market research and decided that people want vegetarian soaps? If the latter was the case - why would Salters have reintroduced a tallow soap into the market recently? In American artisan soaps - there seems to be no end of tallow used - be that cow, sheep, pig, bison, duck, otter and marmoset - okay I just made the last two up. You take my point though. Like you I enjoy a choice in my soaps - I have some very good vegetarian soaps but I would miss the tallow ones dearly. Perhaps a couple of experts here could shed some light on it? Yours - I.

@OSP @Fox
I love tallow!

I'm so busy right now I'm not finding much time to develop new products. But when I do, I'm investigating tallow based shaving cream.

And of course, my soap has more tallow in it than most other people's. The only one I know has roughly the same is Jeeves of Hudson street.

Back
Top Bottom