SOTD Sat 30th Mar - Fri 5th Apr 2013

Prep: Proraso White
Soap: Proraso White
Brush: NF Tubby 1
Razor: UFO U2/New long comb

Forgot how much I love this soap, should have made it a bit wetter though I think. I love this new razor head but struggling for the correct angle, especially ATG and XTG. Any tips?

image_zps59b1b4d0.jpg
[/IMG]

This evening, about six thirty:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Taylor Eye Witness, 5/8", in (imitation) ivory
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 in best
Soap: Monsavon

As usual, this monster brush had drunk all the lather by pass three. However, these last couple of weeks, after months, I've had a breakthrough in my straight shaving; I've found the correct angle at last to shave multiple days' growth without pulling. Finally! I think I'm getting closer finishes too, which is nice.

Friday:

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Semogue SOC Boar
Gillette Long Comb New/JEC handle
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Pinaud Vanilla
Nivea Skin Energy ASB

Lovely shave again, smooth and comfortable.

Greetings

Friday 5th April 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Pearl OC
Blade: Astra (Green Pkt.)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Spieck Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: RSC Balm

After learning about the Pearl razors on this forum I just could not resist one at eleven pounds delivered. I will try and write a review of the razor later today but I have to say it delivered a really superb shave, it is very well made, built like a little tank, nicely chromed, cheap and not 'silly aggressive'

No weepers no nicks no tenderness! A delightful shave and my first DE shave since last September.

Regards
Dick.
Razor review here:-http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-18874.html

DSC04130.JPG

Friday v April, 2013

Pre: Hot shower, Dove MenCare Facial Wash
Prep: Cold water splash, Proraso green pre
Cream: Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Merkur 38
Blade: Astra Blue #2
Astringent: Osma alum block
ASB: Proraso white
ASL: Feuilles de Tabac

Result: Shambles this morning, got it all wrong. And then poured oil onto troubled waters by using a moisturiser that seemed to have an adverse reaction with my ASB and further irritate my face. A couple of days r n r for my face I think.

All the best,

Jon

Morning all,

Prep: Hot shower prep
Cream: Proraso Sandalwood Cream with few drops of GFT Skin food
Razor: Merkur Futur with Astra SP
Brush: Vulfix 404

Nice smooth 2 pass with Futur set on 2.
Full on Sandalwood fest this morning !

Weber polished w/ bulldog
Feather and Derby (yes Derby!)
MWF F.L.
Finest Badger
Alum

Started with 3 day old feather but 1st XTG pass left a couple of weepers so opted for a pit stop and changed to Derby Extra for final ATG. Been a while but not too bad though a full shave with a Derby in this razor will be a better judge of it. BBS results. Have a nice day.

geezer said:
Weber polished w/ bulldog
Feather and Derby (yes Derby!)
MWF F.L.
Finest Badger
Alum

Started with 3 day old feather but 1st XTG pass left a couple of weepers so opted for a pit stop and changed to Derby Extra for final ATG. Been a while but not too bad though a full shave with a Derby in this razor will be a better judge of it. BBS results. Have a nice day.

I have some of these left from when I started. I didn't like them and PIF'd most of them.

I kept some to give another go when my technique had improved, and I'm feeling more confident about them now. They could however still hate my face! :icon_razz:

SmallBeard said:
I have some of these left from when I started. I didn't like them and PIF'd most of them.

I kept some to give another go when my technique had improved, and I'm feeling more confident about them now. They could however still hate my face! :icon_razz:

i used a Derby last night for the first time since about June last year, it wasnt the sharpest blade but the shave was nice in a NEW Long Comb on 3 days worth of whiskers.

I wouldnt buy more, but i'll use the 17 i've got left at some point.

Gravy said:
SmallBeard said:

i used a Derby last night for the first time since about June last year, it wasnt the sharpest blade but the shave was nice in a NEW Long Comb on 3 days worth of whiskers.

I wouldnt buy more, but i'll use the 17 i've got left at some point.

Excellent, another more positive review. Maybe it's a case of beginners getting bad shaves and blaming the tool rather than the operator. I know that's what I did, as when I think back my first shave with an Astra SP wasn't much better, but now I can use any blade and get a decent shave. Well, any that I've tried so far, but some are obviously better than others.

I know Derbys aren't as sharp as others, but if one can clear 3 days growth it can't be an awful blade. I too wouldn't buy more when the likes of Rapiras which I love can be picked up for less, but I'll try them out again now, and see how it goes!

GFT almond soap
Vulfix Bodger
#11H service set New, Shark SS
Barbershop Bay Rum
RSC balm

I've thinned my rotation to this soap and Ingram, well until I get bored with that anyway! Hence my SOTD frequency is reducing, as it's a bit samey to bother really. I'd always found the Trumper a pretty so-so soap, but the lather I'm getting from it has definitely improved from the increased familiarity with it, consistently nice and slick.

Friday Morning

First use of my new handle from daz. It's certainly a big chunky handle.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: GFT Spanish Leather
Brush: Simpsons PL8 Super
Razor: Gillette New with custom handle
Blade: Gillette Super Thin
A/S: GFT Spanish Leather
Cologne: GFT Spanish Leather

Excellent shave, the handle felt very comfortable and plenty of grip.

IMG_0766_zps5a1886bd.jpg

Gillette TV Special
Feather Super Platinum
JEC brush with 28mm knot
Cella
Witch Hazel
Speick AS

Very smooth this morning but pretty tender, especially round the jaw line. I think it is from yesterdays first attempt with the feather artist. Think I will have to miss out a shave or two to let my skin recover, and then with a milder blade.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest 2201
Razor: John Nesbitt's, Crown
Soap: Nannys Marzipan
AS: Proraso
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

I love this soft soap, such a good slip and fantastic scent :D
0011024x669_zps8fe925f5.jpg

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Weber DLC /JEC Copper Handle / 7 O'C Yellow
Simpsons 'Rover' Manchurian Butterscotch