Helveticum said:
Cold shower
Proraso pre/post
Tabac shave stick
M&F blonde badger
Merkur 37c w/Astra SP
Steve's Bay Rum
Weleda ASB

Great smooth BBS shave. Hard to beat Tabac. Been a while since I last used Steve's bay rum juice - nice touch! Need to do it more often. And now the superstar - Weleda balm. This is the first time I've used it, but already think it's one of the best balms I've tried. Strong herby scent that lingers for almost an hour (might wanna watch for your choice of EdT), but I like that. Performance wise it's certainly among the very best, highly recommended.

Agreed. Weleda ASB flies well below the radar but it truly is a fantastic post-shave soother/healer/moisturiser. For efficiency and skincare it's tops in my book, right next to Clinique aftershave products.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Made Rite badger
'Webly'/Wilkinson Light Brigade (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Boots AS Balm
Miller Harris 'Feuilles de Tabac' EdT (thanks Carl)

Yet another great shave with this razor/blade/soap trio. Not boring, but instead a very pleasant experience with no thinking needed. Shaving mostly by sound, with no feeling of the sharp blade on my face. Very nice!

BBS results,

Martin

Arko Regular shaving cream
Henk walnut silvertip
Slim Twist with vintage Super Silver (second shave)
M and S Woodspice Amber balm

Slim Twist was very good. Looked very clean when it arrived but I of course sterilised it. The metal showed lots of black spots after that but scrubbed off easily. The Amber WS is very nice. I may have to get the accompanying a/s. The Arko cream and no real scent and could have offered a but more cushioning but was OK.
Very nice DFS result.

First try with a Fatip​

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave
Soap: MWF - face lathered
Brush: Semogue 830
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Gillette Green (1)
After: Alum, Nivea Replenishing ASB

Think I must be the only one to get a decent handle on my Fatip, although the finish isn't perfect there are no sharp edges/defects in its finish like some have reported.

I was surprised how different it was shaving with the Fatip. Must be the noisiest razor I've used; which is a good thing as it gives a lot of feedback.
I think the sound comes from the large amount of blade exposure beneath the cap allowing the blade to resonate more.

Result: Really nice BBS, easy shave no irritation. Well pleased.

I'm still thinking of building a Frankenrazor with a DE89 cap, Fatip base and Weber bulldog handle. This would cover the blade a little more, but then again might not shave as well as today's. Future experimentation needed.

Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash, Cold Water
Soap: MWF
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Razor: Polished Weber/Bulldog
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber WH, Clinique Post-Shave Healer, Clinique M Lotion
EdT: Pen's Castile

Comfortable 3-pass shave + touchups. Result: BBS and feeling fine :)

Thursday 4th April

sotd4413.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Sir Irisch moos cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons Harvard 4 Best badger brush
Merkur R41 (2013 model)
Polsilver super iridium (3)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Sir Irisch moos aftershave balsam

Comfortable shave from the R41, last shave for the Polsilver. A different razor and blade set up for tomorrow. I think the R41 will be for occasional use. It would be good for multi days beard growth. I'm a daily shaver so don't get the growth needed to put it through its paces.

Brian

Today's shave

Gillette fatBoy set on No9
Feather Blade
Kent BK8 Brush (The afro as its been nicknamed on Facebook.....don't ask)
TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream with Geo.F.Trumpers Sandalwood SkinFood mixed in
OldSpice cologne

Result BSS WTG

All this talk of fatboys made me dig my one out. Man, if this razor didn't take two days to dry out I'd use it more often, close enough yet smooth enough, just right :)

Made a video on this shave, video in my vid thread :)

Prep: HS
Brush: New Forest, High mountain Badger
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Joseph Rodgers 8/8 custom Carbon Fiber Scales
AS: Dr.Harrison Sandalwood

DSC03416_zps7bce6bcb.jpg

Brush: Vulfix 404
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS with ProGuard blades
Post Shave: Alum (I needed it) followed by Sudocreme
After allowing the sudocreme to soak in I finished off with Steve's magnificent Bay Rum.
That razor gets mighty close! But a lot more practice is needed, quite a few tiny little nicks. All coming from the blade skipping, I was quite nervous using it and wasnt putting enough pressure on, this stopped the blade having enough pressure and caused it to jump and skip over the skin. I dont know if this makes sense to any of you guys but it does to me. On the second pass I put on just a little more pressure and didnt have any more cuts. Much more practise required but a super smooth shave.
Hopefully the first of many with this one.

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Origin Best Gold Steel in Ebony restored by UKRob
Semogue 830
Palmolive Classic Shaving Soap
Nivea Replenishing Aftershave Balm
Surrati Black Aoud

Not bad.

Evening, everyone.

Thursday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless (6)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: TSD Vetiver
A/S: Pashana Bay Rum
Cologne: Encre Noir

Very good shave. The Shave Den Vetiver soap was a nice earthy/smoky vetiver and Encre Noir is a top scent.

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: English NEW LC with Weber Bulldog Handle
Blade: Derby Extra #1
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 Best
Soap: Lea Stick
Aftershave: Proraso Splash

A nice 2 pass cold water face lather shave

This is the first time I've used a Derby since about a month after I first started DE shaving. Not the sharpest blade, but I had a nice shave.

I've only got 4 untested types of blades left to try now: Feather, Personna Platinum, Polsilver Iridium, Super Iridium. I thought I'd get a lot of the average blades out the way before those ones.

Prep: 5k Run, hot shower, Trumpers Skin Food
Razor: Merkur closed comb with Weber Bulldog Handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger
Soap: MWF
Balm Bluebeards revenge

After a trip to my local shaving emporium in Dundee, the purchase of the replacement Duke (dropped and shattered my old faithful) some MWF and a bottle of 4711 A/S, home for a wee jog, shower and shave. BBS 3 pass with touch ups, 3 days growth.

May not have lathered MWF properly though, razor felt a bit "jumpy"? Lather like meringue pre cooking....... Still, no blood and stubble free!

Back
Top Bottom