Manufaktura Beer ASB

P1070108.jpg

SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Prep: Hot flannel, Prep cream rubbed into beard
Cream: Henk's Dutch Moss - scuttle lathered
Brush: New Forest 2221
Razor: 1934 Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Polsilver (2)

Didn't shave yesterday to give my skin a rest as I picked up a few nicks last week.

Superb shave today. BBS and no nicks. This has now got to last until tomorrow evening.

This is a really nice razor too, supplied to me by a premium US enabler. I'm considering sending it to Dave to get it replated so it looks as good as it shaves. It really deserves a place in 'the wardrobe'!

3p Pre Shave
Speick Stick
Semogue 1520
EJ/Goodfella Black
Lord Super Chrome
Alum.
M&S Woodspice ASB.

Not bad at all, not as close as yesterday with the Yellows but ok.

Hot shower
Hot flannel
NF 1901 brush, Speick stick
ATT Atlas R1, Permasharp (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

The New Forest 1901 and (any) shaving stick is a match made in heaven!!!

I thought that the combination of Atlas R1, brand new Permasharp and two days growth may be a bit much for my delicate constitution... but after a morning of shoveling snow I was back in touch with my inner caveman and decided: what the hell!
Probably would have been better if I'd used the Weber... a bit weepy round the neck... but now I'm splashed and alum'd and smooth as you like and feeling positively empowered. I'm now off to go and howl in the woods until teatime.

Sunday afternoon.

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Razor: 50's English Ball End Tech
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Clinique Post-Shave Healer, Clinique M Lotion
EdT: Penhaligon's Juniper Sling

A little overconfident today resulting in a couple weepers, quickly cauterized with a styptic pencil.

Sunday 24th

sotd24313.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Sir Irisch moos cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons Emperor 1 super badger brush
Merkur Progress short handle set at 2.5
Lord Platinum (3)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Sir Irisch moos aftershave balsam

A fine shave no irritation. Last shave for the Lord Platinum. A new blade loaded in the cleaned razor for tomorrow.
A cold day there's still plenty of snow laying here.

Brian

:angel::angel::angel:

Today.....

I went back to my Mach 3. I must stress, not out of choice.

I woke up in a mad rush, and had to be out of the door in about an hour. As I'm slightly OCD about keeping my razors clean post shave, I knew I wouldn't have the time to shave, and give the razor the scrub down it deserves.

In the bathroom was my Tabac sample I have, and my brush, and my Mach 3 I hadn't used since before Christmas, so I just used all of these things due to time restraints and general laziness :icon_razz:

The cartridge had been in use for about a month before it retired into the little pot in my bathroom, so had it's fair share of shaves previously.

The Result:

Today, I realised that the biggest improvement from the dark days of shaving, comes from the preparation. The only difference to what I used to do pre-DE, was the preparation, using the soap and brush, and the difference is amazing. The shave was the closest I ever had with a cartridge, and very very comfortable and very quick, too.

Now, I enjoy shaves with my EJ the most, and do get a very good result IMHO. But today showed me that I can still get a good, enjoyable shave with my Mach 3, and that when going on holidays I wouldn't really need to take a DE and spend ages fannying around cleaning it post shave. I'll probably buy some disposables, and just take a good soap and brush, and still get a shave I'm happy with.

Sorry, please don't ban me :angel::icon_razz:

The full Turkish in a desperate attempt to pretend it's hot outside

Hot Bath
Invisible Edge strop
Arko
Lider brush
H Hobson & Sons Sheffield - 1/4 hollow wedge
Duro Limon 80 proof
[attachment=6901]

SmallBeard said:
:angel::angel::angel:

Today.....

I went back to my Mach 3. I must stress, not out of choice.

I woke up in a mad rush, and had to be out of the door in about an hour. As I'm slightly OCD about keeping my razors clean post shave, I knew I wouldn't have the time to shave, and give the razor the scrub down it deserves.

In the bathroom was my Tabac sample I have, and my brush, and my Mach 3 I hadn't used since before Christmas, so I just used all of these things due to time restraints and general laziness :icon_razz:

The cartridge had been in use for about a month before it retired into the little pot in my bathroom, so had it's fair share of shaves previously.

The Result:

Today, I realised that the biggest improvement from the dark days of shaving, comes from the preparation. The only difference to what I used to do pre-DE, was the preparation, using the soap and brush, and the difference is amazing. The shave was the closest I ever had with a cartridge, and very very comfortable and very quick, too.

Now, I enjoy shaves with my EJ the most, and do get a very good result IMHO. But today showed me that I can still get a good, enjoyable shave with my Mach 3, and that when going on holidays I wouldn't really need to take a DE and spend ages fannying around cleaning it post shave. I'll probably buy some disposables, and just take a good soap and brush, and still get a shave I'm happy with.

Sorry, please don't ban me :angel::icon_razz:

I have done this too. Trac II and Sensor Excel now shave very well. As you say, its all in the prep.

I recently tried the new Wilki power razor but those thoughts are for another day.

Hot Bath
Invisible Edge strop
Arko
Lider brush
Duru Limon 80 proof

2.5 pass - low budget kit but great results. The H Hobson is self cleaned and honed which I'm pretty happy with it's not pretty but effective

Attachments

• IMG_24062.jpg
    IMG_24062.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 2

Hot Bath
Invisible Edge strop
Arko
Lider brush
Grand Bazaar bowl
Duru Limon 80 proof

2.5 pass - low budget kit but great results (relatively speaking - still ascending that steep straight learning curve) The H Hobson is self cleaned and honed which I'm pretty happy with - it's not pretty but mighty effective

SmallBeard said:
joe mcclaine said:
Been there.

Done it.

REverted.

Nowt wrong with that.

Before I shaved today, I thought I'd never use a cartridge razor again.

I don't mind admitting I was wrong :blush:

Use whatever works.

I enjoy my DEs, but have been regularly using my old Contour handle with Gillette Slalom blades recently.

Regardless of whether I use brush & soap, or Proraso canned foam, it's been consistently providing some great shaves.

Evening, everyone.

Sunday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Lord L122
Blade: Dorco (2)
Brush: Soap Shed Super Badger
Shave cream: Erasmic
A/S: Pinaud Clubman

Back
Top Bottom