SOTD Sat 22nd Sept to Frid 28th Sept 2012 ...

Greetings

Friday 28th September 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: PAL Injectomatic
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Cream: T.O.B.S. Sandlewood
Brush: Vulfix 404 Mixed
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

My first shave with a PAL injector and a very nice shave it was too, I think this little razor has just a little more 'bite' than my only Schick razor (type I) the quirky little flat handle is a bit strange but only because it is different. I did try with one of the carbon blades that came with the razor and this was entirely in keeping with all my other experiences with vintage carbon blades ie bad!

Incidentally several people in another thread have been discussing buying from e-bay.com (USA) this razor was posted from a suburb/district of New York on the 22nd Sept and was delivered to me at noon on 27th Sept, that has to be a record. I have recently purchased several razors from the USA all have arrived within 10 days without problem and eight days seems about average.

Regards
Dick.

NNathwani said:
Brush: NF Tubby 2
Cream: TOBS jermyn st & MWF
Razor: Weber DLC
Blade: 7 o'clock green (2)

Nice shave again with the Weber. Really loving it. I'll try it with a different blade on Sunday and see how it performs.
Still not convinced with using creams over soaps though. I love the smell of this TOBS cream but prefer using soaps. I'll wait till I finish the cream and buy the soap next time (I know, should've done that the first time).

How are you enjoying the Tubby 2 and the MWF? I've just talked my wife into letting me order some MWF so am keen to know how the brush and the soap get on. Thanks.

Ids said:
same st up as yesterday and although a comfortable shave its quite patchy on the neck with a few blood spots.

Muhle R89
Semogue OC Boar
Red Personna (2)
Scent from heaven strawberry
Dermol

Thinking about breaking out the R41 next week.

You've been doing this a lot longer than me but if the R89 is the same head as the DE89, I've found that a single shim transforms the shave for me as I don't need to be as aggressive with my technique or require as many touch ups. My worst shave was with the DE89 when I did too many touch ups - felt ok at the time but lots of blood spots and irritation after. Sorry if you know about this or if it seems that I am doing the Granny and egg sucking routine. Cheers.

IanM said:
Friday

Feather AC SS
Feather Proguard Blade
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Brush
L'Occitane Cade Shaving Soap
Proraso A/S

Ian

How are you getting with the Feather? Strikes the fear of god into me, it does! Imagine calling it 'Feather'!

Yesterday for me was:

Rocket HD with Shark Stainless (Thanks Tall_Paul for the PIF'd blades!)
EJ Super Badger medium
Ingram's shaving cream
Barbershop Bay Rum
Astral cream

Not so close as I'd like and a bit of neck irritation. Will probably move the rocket on as I prefer a longer handle and a bit more weight. Barbershop Bay Rum is the single best product I've used since starting this DE journey and the scent is both enjoyable and comforting, if that makes sense. Makes my face feel great, too. Fabulous stuff!

Cheers all.

Thursday:

EJDE89
Red Personna
EJ Badger
RSC Cream
Ogallala BR, L and P
Ogallala BR Cologne

Friday:
EJDE89
Red Personna
EJ badger
BS Maca Root Cream
Old Spice Splash

Friday Morning:

Prep: Cold Shower (the boiler has broken down) :( Had to boil the kettle for shaving, and for hot flannels.
Cream: TOBS Eton College
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 in Best Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Gillette Super Thin
A/S: TOBS Eton College

A pleasant shave, even after a not so pleasant shower. I am getting used to the Feather AS-D1 now after a couple of shaves and it's turning out to be a very nice razor. I can't decide on the best blade for it yet though, although the Super Thin seems to be winning at present.

28SEP2012.jpg

Tubby 1
Merkur 37c Slant - Polisilver Stainless
Soap opera Himalaya
Profs ASB mixed with 444

A few days growth which the slant just eats in one pass its rediculous I'm always surprised when I use the razor.

First go with the new soap smells great and subtle, didn't quite get the lather right, plenty of slip but not enough cushion.

Not sure WHY I did this, but... After reading about a different shavette I decided to buy it. Postage from the UK was almost as much as the razor. All stainless called the Coolcut4. Came with a pack of Wilkerson blades.
Yesterday:
Razor: Coolcut4
Blades: Wilkerson Sword
Soap: Erasmic Cream
Really great shave! 3passes BBS. No cuts no burn!
Today:
Same setup but...
Soap:Haslinger Salbei
Not so great.. A little too close. Couple burn spots. Same blade(2nd half) same razor different soap..
Ideas on Haslinger?[attachment=5731]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348842413.122381.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348842413.122381.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 20
Bulldog for men facewash.
Simpsons Colonel best badger shaving brush.
DR Harris Arlington shaving soap.
Muhle R89 with Personna red #1.
Sunbury's Barbershop bay rum aftershave.
Pleasures for men EDT.

Nice shave today, Steve's Bay rum is great stuff, not drying at all & no sting.

Today:

Gillette Super Adjustable (5, 7, 9) - thanks to Martin AKA dodgy
Viking's Sword blade (from the Israeli Personna Factory)
EJ Super Badger medium
NOS Surrey American shaving soap - again thanks to Martin
Barbershop Bay Rum
Astral cream
Vintage Shulton Old Spice cologne

The Super Adjustable will take me a wee while to work out but I'm sure I'll get really great shave from it when I get used to it and the settings. Having it on 9 is too aggressive for ATG on top lip but I was taking it really easy so I've no soreness. A little heat round the adam's apple still but the Bay Rum is soothing that away nicely. Next time I think I'll start on 9 for wtg and xtg except top lip, then will take it from there depending on close my stubble is. I can't believe this is the same razor that, shortly after receiving it through the post, nearly took my face off with it set at 5. Technique, a light hand and stretching my skin. Blade seemed good but I'm still a learner and it was the first shave with it. Love the long handle of the Super and the weight of the head makes it easy to balance and control.

Cheers.

Valobra Shave Stick
EJ Best
39c Slant
Feather Blade
Boots Witch Hazel Gel

Very close today, A little too close again in places pushed my luck with this razor
and blade combo but got away with it JUST.

Arko shave stick
Racer Super Stainless blade
Progress on 2 all the way through
Boots Freshwood a/s balm

I wasn't expecting much from the Racer. They are very cheap - cheap even by Bestshave standards - but I'd used it once or twice before in some other razors and thought why not. It was a really good shave. Pretty close all over. Loving the Arko smell and performance and opened a new bottle of newly re-acquired Freshwood a/s balm which doesn't like leaving the bottle!
Very nice.

Friday:

3 days growth so a big gap razor:

Muhle R41
Gillette yellow
Penhaligons brush
T+H Grafton cream
L'Occitane Verdon aftershave splash

Really smooth, pretty quick and drama free, no worries.

Prep - Hot Towel, Simpson's Shave Cream
Razor - Weber ARC
Blade - Astra S/P
Brush – 'Mama Chub' (Chubby 2 Two Band)
Soap - Marlborough
Cold Rinse/ Witch Hazel/ Musgo Real

I haven't shaved since last Sunday, and having just come home from holiday I didn't want to whip out the 'Wheatfield', so 'Mama Chub' and the Marlborough laid down the base for a super smooth, super clean shave with the Weber. Damn I feel great ;-)

Gairdner said:
NNathwani said:
Brush: NF Tubby 2
Cream: TOBS jermyn st & MWF
Razor: Weber DLC
Blade: 7 o'clock green (2)

Nice shave again with the Weber. Really loving it. I'll try it with a different blade on Sunday and see how it performs.
Still not convinced with using creams over soaps though. I love the smell of this TOBS cream but prefer using soaps. I'll wait till I finish the cream and buy the soap next time (I know, should've done that the first time).

How are you enjoying the Tubby 2 and the MWF? I've just talked my wife into letting me order some MWF so am keen to know how the brush and the soap get on. Thanks.

Hi,

The tubby 2 performs well with MWF but I get a better lather from my Omega boar brush with the MWF. The only reason I use the TOBS with the MWF is that my MWF is in my shaving scuttle and I like to lather up in my scuttle.
As I said earlier, I'm not that keen on creams but I love the jermyn street smell.
I'm sure you'll get on well with the MWF as its an excellent soap.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Ever Ready badger
Schick L type injector/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Aramis 'Havana' EdT (old juice)

Third time with this new to me blade.....best shave yet. Yeah, this soap helped improve things even more from the last two shaves, which were both good. It's pretty sharp and very forgiving. Yeah, I like it.

BBS results,

Martin

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap, cold
Razor: Kropp 6/8" in marble resin, restored by UKRob
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in two-band best
Soap: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Scent: Trumper's Sandalwood

Every ingredient harmonious and top-quality, and results to match.

Back
Top Bottom