SOTD Sat 22nd Sept to Frid 28th Sept 2012 ...

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Polo 8
Razor: Max Sprecher, extreme french point :D
Superlather: Nannys French Lavender + Mhule unscented cream (good combo)
AS: Floris Santal + Tiger facial tonic
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Was going to mix the tiger with TOBS Victorian Lime, but took the wrong bottle (yes, I know TOBS VL is yellow, I was sleepy). It wasn't unpleasant though and Max razor is top of the line and an excellent shaver :D
0011024x691_zps2ec69372.jpg

RE: SOTD Sat 22th Sept to Frid 28st Sept 2012 ...

Saturday

Feather AC SS
Feather Proguard Blade
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Brush
Musgo Real Shaving Cream
Proraso A/S

Didn't do the thing on my neck that I did yesterday and it's better.

Ian

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Dubl Duck special No.1
Neil Miller Strop
Simpsons 'Rover' Manchurian Butterscotch
Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Limes shave cream
Nivea Replenishing Aftershave Balm
Penhaligons Endymion Cologne

The weekend starts here

Greetings

Saturday 22nd September 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Flying Wing
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Vie Long 13061M Horse
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: RSC Balm

Just for the hell of it I started out with a vintage 'The Barber Blade, Aurora Illinois' an old unopened carbon blade from I guess about the late 30's era that came with one of my recently purchased razors, it was dire! I stropped it 100 times on my Ever Ready stropper and the result.........no different at all; no worse, no better! So far my success rate with stropping SE blades has been 0%.

Finished off with a modern GEM stainless coated and no problems at all lovely shave.

Regards
Dick.

SOTD Sat 22th Sept to Frid 28st Sept 2012 ...

Tubby 1
TOBS Jermyn St
Weber DLC - Polisilver stainless
Profs ASB mixed with 444

Refreshing and BBS. No irritation apart from one spot on my neck where I went over with no lather. Still loving these cold water shaves.

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Polo 8
Razor: Max Sprecher, extreme french point :D
Superlather: Nannys French Lavender + Mhule unscented cream (good combo)
AS: Floris Santal + Tiger facial tonic
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

Was going to mix the tiger with TOBS Victorian Lime, but took the wrong bottle (yes, I know TOBS VL is yellow, I was sleepy). It wasn't unpleasant though and Max razor is top of the line and an excellent shaver :D
0011024x691_zps2ec69372.jpg
That's the scariest looking blade on a straight razor that I have ever seen, just perfect for performing involuntary nose jobs!
Regards
Dick

Norfolkdick said:
That's the scariest looking blade on a straight razor that I have ever seen, just perfect for performing involuntary nose jobs!
Regards
Dick

Well, we're all into sharp and pointy blades, some are just pointier than others... This isn't so bad that it looks though, I've got a kamisori that's like a chisel, at the point and it doesn't look as extreme as this one, but it draws blood every time ;)

Re: SOTD Sat 22th Sept to Frid 28st Sept 2012 ...

Scent from Heaven Orange shaving soap
Fatboy (gold plated) with Flying Eagle (2nd use) on 6, 4
Wilkinson Sword Fx Performer
Proraso pre- and post- shave cream
Edwin Jagger bristle

Tested to beyond the limit. Got a close shave on most of the face but blunted the blade towards the end so finished off with a cartridge. I went ad close as I could both times I used this blade so 3 shaves is probably what to expect for most people.

m8mf7p.jpg

Pre Prep + Jabonman Marsella + Kent BK8 Silvertip + Merkur 37c Slant with green Astra #1 + Aqua Velva splash with LEA balm

A superb shave! This Kent makes almost an "uberlather" from every cream or soft soap like this I test with it!

Cheers!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Marshall Fields rebranded Simpsons best
'Webly'/Feather
Penhaligons Racquets SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Caron 'Yatagan' EdT (newer version)

Aside from one small weeper on my chin that took 15 minutes to shut down, a very nice shave using this mild razor/sharp blade combo. I really gotta buy a styptic pencil sometime. Yeah, I got complacent there for just a second and it cost me. My fault entirely, and the slight sting reminded me not to push the envelope too far with these particular blades.

This currently made version of Yatagan is nice stuff. It's kinda like a 'Yatagan 'light' version, which isn't such a bad thing in some cases. The celery note is toned down bit, as is the pine. Longevity is less and I'd guess so's the silage. More subdued overall than the vintage juice, which may appeal to someone looking for that aspect. I like wearing both versions, and this one called to me today. Great bang for the buck frag.

BBS results,

Martin

Bulldog for men face wash.
Muhle 89 with Personna red #1.
TOBS super badger brush.
Henk's Dutch Moss shaving soap
Henk's Dutch Moss aftershave balm.

Nice shave, Henk's shaving soap leaves my skin feeling hydrated & the balm is good stuff too.

Merkur 34c
Derby (1)
Turkish No. 6
La Toja stick
C&E Lime balm
Simple moisturiser

Floris JF

First outing with my dead cheap bestshave 'horsehair' brush that thinks it's a boar. I guess it's to do with the grade of hair? Either way, it did a very good job and created better lather than my badger and Vie Long horse with the La Toja recently. It could be to do with the softer water up here in Manchester though! Absolute bargain and perfect for travel.

Razor – TI 'Wheatfield'
Strop - 3" Snake, Shell Cordovan & Genuine Linen Hanging Razor Strop
Prep – Hot Towel, Simpson's Shave Cream
Brush - 'The Beast' (Chubby 3 Manchurian)
Soap - Mike's Unscented
Cold Rinse/ Witch Hazel/ Musgo Real

another fantastic shave... 'The Beast' is living upto his name, with amazing backbone and soft tips, imagine two band hair on steroids... wonderful!! :icon_cool:

Prep for me is always hot towels followed by Proraso pre-shave which I decided to follow with a Marlborough day:

DR Harris Marlborough soap, face lathered with Kent BK2
DE89 / Rapira
DR Harris Marlborough Aftershave / Boots no. 7 balm
DR Harris Marlborough cologne

Today was easily the best shave I've had from the Marlborough soap - up until now I've always rated the scent highly but had the performance down as a step or two below Proraso. However, I spent a little more time whipping up the lather and kept the brush a little wetter than usual and it really exploded into action.

Overall, a really nice shave.

Saturday 22nd September

Hot Shower and Facial scrub
Vitos pre/Post shave cream
Ford & Medley Extra Hollow 333 5/8 Razor
Semogue SOC Boar in Ash
Ogallala Bay Rum and Lemongrass Soap
Witch Hazel
Unrefined Shea Butter
Ogallala Bay Rum with Limes and Peppercorn
Fixegoiste Brilliantine

Excellent 3 pass shave

Back