SOTD SAT 14th NOV TO FRI 20th NOV 2015

Sun 15th Nov.
Vulfix 404 mixed
Tabac Stick
Gem OCMM
Gem S/S [ 4 ]
Alum Rub / Floid Vigoroso A/S.

A very nice Sunday Morning Shave - perhaps tempting providence to say it was smooth , but in fact it was. In fact have a succession of really nice shaves over the last few days.

IMG_0027.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday 15 November 2015

218811d1447593840-sun-november-15th-sat-november-21st-sotd-15112015.jpg

Mastro Livi Damascus "100 Layers", 13/16 Extra Full Hollow, Square Point

It was quite a long time I was not using this Mastro Livi "100 Layers" straight razor. It is an extra full hollow ground razor made of Mastro Livi carbon damascus and certainly one of the best singers I have in my collection. The blade is super thin, giving this razor a beautiful voice. Simply amazing how Mastro Livi can get such a very thin cutting edge and blade by just using his hands and grinding wheels. This razor has juniper scales and with its Mediterranean smell absolutely gives an exclusive touch to the shave. I also used my Mastro Livi "Pennello Italiano" (Italian Brush) a great silvertip badger brush absolutely super performing in mounting soap lather. The finishing touch has been given by Old Spice Original after shave, a classic fragrance with a lovely soothing and cooling effect on the skin.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano" - 24 mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Damascus "100 Layers", 13/16 Extra Full Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Old Spice Original

BbBLDHVh.jpg
Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (2nd)
Post #1: Saponificio Varesino Aromatic Fern After Shave Balm
Post #2: Origins Save the Males Multi-Benefit Moisturiser
Scent: Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 (From a Sample)

Saturday:

What would have been a great shave was spoilt by the Feather razor blade (for me it works in the PILS and the 37c but nothing else) and I finished off the shave with the last of my Myrsol Aqua Balsamica. This Thater is fast becoming my Goldilocks brush, generous size, not too dense and just enough back-bone.

Sunday:

Absolutely no complaints about this shave. Personna Meds work well in all the razors I've tried them in, no glue spots and they last longer than any other blade I've used too. What's not to like about them? This isn't the most luxurious brush I own but it has plenty of back-bone, maybe a little too much for me, soft enough tips and one of the best handles I've got. The Floid Blue is excellent, as ever. A great shave.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

BSB Rubberset 400 homage in HMW
Caties Bubbles 'Parma' SC (thanks Good Doctor)
'Kaily'/Filomatic Titanio (NOS Spain)
Myrsol Emulsion (wave to Mr Miguel in Heaven)
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT black bottle

Given some of these old Spanish blades by a certain snake oil salesman a while ago and they are nice ones for sure. Gone through maybe 6-8 blades and very smooth in this frankenrazor.

Tried this Caties stuff twice so far and still haven't quite got it right. Either that or it's just nothing amazing. Lather looked good both times so who knows. I do like the scent which is a big plus. Try it once or twice more and see what happens.

BBS results,

Martin

Shower
Proraso Green Pre
NSS Signature Ice and Slice
Omega 49
iKon SB DLC
Gillette NOS Super Stainless [1]
Proraso Green AS
Superdrug Moisturiser

Superb shave! 3 days growth swiped away with ease... This blade is astoundingly smooth and sharp, big shame they are no longer made!
Take it easy with the iKon and and an irritation free shave results...

Patent Day SOTD- November 15, 2015

Thin Cap Old Type
Chinese Gillette Super Blue Blade (1)

I picked the Thin Cap OT for today's shave as it is the oldest Gillette that I own. I received it recently as part of a lot with a Slim Adjustable. To be honest, I was a bit intimidated by this razor as I understand the characteristics to be a bit different than the Thick Cap OT I'm used to.

The blade was chosen for one reason- it has a picture of King Gillette on the wrapper. I had a single one which came packaged with a Chinese Gillette razor (same Tech variant as the Sterling). I had read some good reviews of the blade, but lots of comments about how hard it is to find non-counterfeit ones in the West. Still, this is the end of a week that saw me try both the Tiger 3H (worst blade ever) and the Derby, so how bad could the Gillette Super Blue be in comparison?

As for the shave... The feel of the razor and blade was different than what I was used to with my other OT- much more of a feeling of just a handle and a blade, no noticeable pulling or tugging. In the end, I did my usual one pass with nothing fancy and no additional cleanup. I would consider the result a close shave, though not necessarily a comfortable one as there is definitely irritation on my neck and in other small spots, no blood though.

I've moved to blade to my Slim Adjustable for tomorrow's shave as I'm curious to see how the blade performs in a milder, more familiar setting. As for the Thin Cap OT, I really prefer my Thick Cap one, so I'm not sure when I'll get back to it; perhaps I'll PIF it at some point.

JR

Back
Top Bottom