Institut Karité

P1050382.jpg

Saturday:
Merkur Progress
Personna, Red pack
Semogue 830
D R Harris Almond soap
Knize Sec EDT

Got this EDT sample along with the rest of the Knize range (Ten, Two, Golden and Forest). It's just 'different' enough to keep Vinny interested. The others, meh.

Knize Ten ('nuff said - original and best of the line - petrol, leather, smoke, flowers, vanilla)
Knize Ten Golden (same as above without the vanilla ... to my nose)
Knize Two (same as my wife's Guerlain Insolence - flowery violet)
Knize Forest (another Cool Water clone)
Knize Sec (Dry, citrus, incensey, wood, patchouli ... reminds me of something an uncle used to wear in the 70's ... along with happy memories of the ladybirds in Skegness)

Gillette Old with Rapira Super Stainless
Erasmic shaving cream
Proraso post-shave balm

The Old is quite aggressive, isn't it? I like it but probably not one for an every day shave. I had to concentrate when trying to get a close shave under the chin. Pleased with the result but a bit sore. This has reminded me that I probably do apply a little pressure if my mind is on other things.
I've used it three times now and I reckon I'll get the Old out for a treat every so often; a month or two might go by with it sitting patiently in its purple velvet box but then one day it'll be the only razor I want for that shave that day.

Saturday

IMAG0185.jpg

Hot bath & Bulldog face wash
Joris Horn OC
Astra Platinum (1)
Simpsons Emperor Super
Nanny's Citrus Zinger
Alum
GFT lime skin food
Prof B coffee AS

Approached today's shave with trepidation as I was using a brand new blade in my most aggressive razor (well, this or the Canadian Old).

However, with a featherlight touch and two WTG and one ATG pass this has delivered a fantastic shave (albeit with two very minor nicks).

Odd, as I've snagged myself pretty badly with this in the past. Maybe the Astra blades compliment it?

Saturday 5th November

Nanny's French Lavender - SOC two-band - Kirby Beard - Super Iridium (3) - Agua Lavanda Puig + 444 balm​

6e43a2f4.jpg

Great lather from Nanny's soap. The scent is a different sort of lavender than MdC (to my nose anyway), I'd say Nanny's has a more pronounced lavender note in it than MdC. It matches the AS very well. Decent shave, missed a few patches on my neck today though.

That Kirby Beard looks nice.

Saturday

Omega Boar
Tabac soap
Ball end Old type
Feather blade
Barbershop Bay Rum AS

Swapped the blade from the single ring to this ball end Old. This is easily the better shaver of the two - it's smoother and I can get a closer shave more easily. Pity, because the single ring looks nicer.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Shavemac 30 mm two band
Razor: Les tres Croix
Superlather: TOBS lime + Palmolive
AS: ROMA
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

009800x550.jpg

Razor: Merkur 25C long handle open comb
Blade: Feather
Brush: Syntex 90065
Cream: St James Of London Founders Reserve

This is the first time I have ever used a Feather blade. Its sharpness complements the mildness of the 25C despite it being an OC razor. Not a bad shave.

Saturday

Feather SS with ProGuard (#5)
Omega 31064
Penhaligons English Fern
La Toja Manantiales locion
GFT Sandalwood skin food

Very smooth, once again.

Hopefully I'm back into traditional straights from Monday...

Saturday

Quick shave before a day of "brashing" out on the reserve.

Schick Injector Dial Adjustable
Personna Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Monsavon Shaving Soap
Clinique Post Shave Healer

Ian

Hi Martin,

I wanted to give it a good run out with a variety of blades before reviewing it. I haven't gotten around to trying my usual blades in it yet either. It's a very good shaver, whether it's "the one" is yet to be decided.

dodgy said:
kt66 said:
That Kirby Beard looks nice.

I agree with you. I haven't seen Jim comment much on the performance, which leads me to believe he may not love it as much as he'd hoped. Maybe he'll review it sometime.

Martin

Yellow Jim said:
Hi Martin,

I wanted to give it a good run out with a variety of blades before reviewing it. I haven't gotten around to trying my usual blades in it yet either. It's a very good shaver, whether it's "the one" is yet to be decided.

Makes sense Jim,

Yeah, that's a good idea to spend some time and see what blade works out the best.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom