Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 5th March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday 11th March

Martin de Candre Savon à Raser - Semogue 2010 Custom Boar - Gillette Aristocrat #16 - Gillette Bleue (3) - Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/Aloe Vera Astringent - Dr. Henk's Dutch Moss ASB

Nice shave. Cut myself below my ear though, put the razor down at the wrong angle and gave myself a little 1cm cut. If I can do damage with a "safety" razor, maybe I should reconsider trying straights. Henk's balm seems like good stuff.

Friday:- (First week with the Israeli Blades)

Hot towl
Merkur 34c
Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blade (new blade today)
Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Cyril Salter Luxury Shaving Cream (wild Rose)
Witch Hazel (distilled from Boots chemist)
Geo F Trumper Coral Shaving Skin Food

Today was one of those days it all comes together, had a little spare time this morning so opted for three passes instead of my usual two (WTG, XTG and ATG).

One very smooth shave and no irritation and the coral skin food has left me feeling a nice fresh face and no irritation to the skin. :D

Its nice and sunny outside with a blue sky. I don't want to be at work!

Yellow Jim said:
Friday 11th March

Martin de Candre Savon à Raser - Semogue 2010 Custom Boar - Gillette Aristocrat #16 - Gillette Bleue (3) - Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/Aloe Vera Astringent - Dr. Henk's Dutch Moss ASB

Nice shave. Cut myself below my ear though, put the razor down at the wrong angle and gave myself a little 1cm cut. If I can do damage with a "safety" razor, maybe I should reconsider trying straights. Henk's balm seems like good stuff.

Know that feeling. Have a one week old healing of a 5 cm cut on my neck under the jawline. The result of a "Gillette Slide" that turned into a "Gillette Slashing" when razor came down at the wrong angle.

That was with a GEM Micromatic

/Max

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields whitecap
1958 Executive/Iridium
vintage Halston SS (1-12 scent)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Dior 'Eau Sauvage' EdT

First time using this old soap and I made up a very nice looking lather without any problem. Not much scent left to the stuff, but that's not a big deal since I use other old soaps with little fragrance.

Performance was just ok. I'm gonna try it another couple times before making any sort of review, but right now I'm a bit underwhelmed in general. Not all that much slip or cushion, which may improve after another couple of shaves. Sometimes it takes me a few attempts to hit the sweet spot of a new to me soap, so we'll see what happens down the road.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Halston.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 70
  • Halston 002.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 70
Friday:

Merkur Slant
Feather
TOBS Avocado cream + Palmolive stick
Muhle pure badger
Bulldog asb
Acqua di Parma colonia

Day off work today :) , so plenty of time to indulge a leisurely grooming session this morning. Needed a haircut so ran the clippers over my barnet first, followed by hot shower, then loaded up the Slant with a fresh Feather. To the soundtrack of the mighty Led Zep's Physical Graffitti, I took my time with 3 passes and ended up with the closest, most satisfying shave this week. Today is a good day :D

Jos

FRIDAY :shave
Usual prep, face washed in warm/hot water in the sink, while brush soaked in a coffee cup of warm water.
Merkur 13C
Dorco Blade
Simpsons Colonel Brush
ToBS Sandalwood Luxury Shaving Cream, mixed in the coffee cup after removing brush and water.
Pahana Bay Rum After Shave

Friday

Shower followed by washing face with aqueous cream

Men-u pure bristle brush
Boots Cool Cologne Lather Shaving Cream
Merkur 33
Super-max stainless (1)
Nivea ASB and Ogallala Bay Rum with Sandalwood

Great day weatherwise today, so thought I would try a different blade. Sort of three pass shave - WTG, XTG and then some sort of buffing/hooking malarkey. Anyway, very nice results with only a very small nick [probably new blade issues]. While working through the blade sample received from Paul, I seem to be getting good shaves with Astra, Crystals, and now Super-max. My technique probably isn't refined enough yet to notice any major difference between blades, but the results just seem to be getting better as the days go by.

Got to work, feeling like a "million bucks" and just had to get myself a breakfast in the restaurant. Bliss! :cool: Funny how, getting into shaving like this greatly improves the day! :D Never had this feeling when I used a M3.

Paul

Friday, 03-11-11. MUSIC: Weather Report_LP Heavy Weather.

images

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive - Rooney 1/3 Silvertip - Merkur 37C Slant - Treet Classic #1 - Pre JASÖN - The Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving gram - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB GFT Skin Food Sandalwood.

Afeitado11-03-11004-1-1.jpg

Nice shot Slow!

Friday morning
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest
Razor: British Ever Ready
Soap: Nannys The Spicy One
AS: Old Spice Musk, Shulton blend
Strop: My hand :)
Result: Very close :D
Nannys soap was a mad and spicy one today - Sthlick´s the main word. The new formula seems very nice indeed and prob a notch or two better than the old one, how´s that even possible I don´t know. The Ever Ready was a nice change of path, it produces a very cool sound when shaving, almost like a delicate/very thin full-extra hollow straight. It´s so easy to shave the neck with a saftey razor :D, but I got a little to close on one or two spots (no nicks though).
078756x800.jpg

Friday

Badedas Bath

Goodfella SB "Michelle"
Voskhod (2)
Semogue 1305
T&H Luxury Shaving Soap - just cannot get along with this soap, more elsewhere :(
Musgo Real Shaving Cream
WTG - XTG - ATG + touch ups
Thayers Astringent
T&H 1805 AS Balm

Why oh why can I not make a decent lather out of the T&H soap? Had to use the Musgo for the second/third passes. Bar the soap calamity the shave was nice and smooth with the Voskhod, even though I've used one less pass the end result is just lovely. Can't say that I really enjoyed this shave coz the soap really p****d me off :cry:

TTFN. . .

rwoodcock01 said:
Saturday: (I usually have a break at the weekend so this is a first for me for a long time)

Hot towl
Merkur 34c
Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blade (New blade from Shaving shack).
Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Cyril Salter Luxury Shaving Cream (wild Rose)
Witch Hazel (distilled from Boots chemist)
Geo F Trumper Coral Shaving Skin Food

After two weeks using the Derby blade and my first two weeks using a DE razor I opted to change the blade and try a Israeli blade (I got a selection pack from shaving shack).

Oh my its makes a difference, a big difference in the feel after the shave is done, even a compliment from the wife. :shock: :D

I am going to be as fair to these blades as I was with the Derby's, use this small pack to the end and than I may well swap over to the Gillette (yellow box) and see how they fair. :shave

After which its either onto another type of blade or I should have found one I like and stick to that one (in theory). Not going to try the fether blades I have for a little while until I feel ready for these ninja sharp blades (according to reputation).

Off to cook brunch for me and the wife.
Just to say Witch Hazel from Savers is half the price of Boots, and it's much the same. :)

MWF Hand Soap,
Ingram SC,
Simpson Colonel,
Dovo 5/8,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Limes SF,
L'Occitan EdT.

SOTDMar11th2011.jpg

Ingrams shaving cream in Boots for 70p!
That menthol experience is not for everyone! :shock:
Pity cause it made good thick lather?
Anyhow a good close shave and, strangely, although I didn't like the menthol then my face now is wonderfully cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom