Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 4th September 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to use my Prairie Creations PIF from Fozz today, but still had an excellent shave nonetheless. BIG apologies to Rangers as I have finally got round to using the British Wilkinson Sword blades he sent me many months ago. Actually I think this was back in the days of CONUK. :oops: Very nice too. Hope you like my artistic picture.

dsc0514l.jpg

£4.99 less VAT of 74p and postage £1.17 makes £3.08 for Culmak for the Viscount bristle brush I used today. They must sell a lot of brushes to stay in business.

I used the brush with Cade soap. It's very stiff, doesn't hold a lot of lather, isn't the most comfortable brush to use for scrubbing or circular motions - but it does the job. A Superspeed and Gillette Super Thin ensured a very fine shave with Tabac balm to finish off.

Third day on the bounce, now that's a first. After a nice shower and hot towel treatment i used the proraso pre shave, followed by Palmolive cream whipped up using the trusted NF2201. The super speed had the 7 o'clock yellow in for the 3rd run and felt smoother than yesterday, still very sharp. 4 passes plus some touch up and i'm left with a very nice shave. Not perfect but very good, still better than anything i've had pre DE. Proraso post shave followed by some Trumpers skin food finished the experience. Face feels a little zingy from the touch up around the neck and top lip, but nothing that wont settle down in an hour. First proper little nick under my ear that actually had blood flow down my neck. But had stopped before i had finished.
May try for 4 on the bounce tomorrow. see how things go.

Friday, 09-10-10.

Soap from Alepo - Omega 6236 silvertip - Gillette The New - Astra green #2 - Coates Sandalwood shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Irisch Moos + ASB Institut Karité.

Afeitado10-09-10003.jpg

Feather Popular
Gillette Platinum
Omega 49
Prarie Creations soap
Superdrug Forest Fresh a\s

out of all the artisian soap makes i think most of the big name ones we know use glycerin as a base
MB's, Honeybee Spa, SCS etc
the PC soap is tallow based but it's as easy to lather as MB's, very slick and stable
first try with this brand and i can say recommendations will follow from the others who got a sample

I got half an ingredients label with my Prairie Creations samples which had me a bit baffled:

stor Oil, Sugar, Unrefined
aolin Clay, Raw Silk Fibers
100% Aloe Vera Juice
to soap with lye,
hed product.

So I sort of assumed that it wasn't a tallow soap by the way it didn't want to stick to the bottom of my bowl - I stand corrected. I'm not going to offer an opinion on this soap based on one shave, but I will say that the scents are very nice indeed, fresh clean and natural. Some experimentation with the water balance will be in order before reaching a conclusion. Oh, by the way:

Neo Boxwood Best Badger Brush
"The Nap" 5/8 full hollow round point
PC lime soap
Taylor's St James aftershave.

Arrowhead said:
I got half an ingredients label with my Prairie Creations samples which had me a bit baffled:

stor Oil, Sugar, Unrefined
aolin Clay, Raw Silk Fibers
100% Aloe Vera Juice
to soap with lye,
hed product.

So I sort of assumed that it wasn't a tallow soap by the way it didn't want to stick to the bottom of my bowl - I stand corrected. I'm not going to offer an opinion on this soap based on one shave, but I will say that the scents are very nice indeed, fresh clean and natural. Some experimentation with the water balance will be in order before reaching a conclusion. Oh, by the way:

Neo Boxwood Best Badger Brush
"The Nap" 5/8 full hollow round point
PC lime soap
Taylor's St James aftershave.

From PC's www

Tallow Shave Soap Ingredients:

Liquids: Aloe Vera
Oils: Tallow, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Avocado Oil, Unrefined Shea Butter
Other Ingredients: Kaolin Clay, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Sugar, Sodium Lactate and Raw Silk Fibers

Tallow & Lanolin Shave Soap Ingredients:

Liquids: Aloe Vera
Tallow, Lanolin, Castor Oil, Avocado Oil and Unrefined Shea Butter
Other Ingredients: Kaolin Clay, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Sugar, Sodium Lactate and Raw Silk Fibers

hunnymonster said:
Those would be Indian Wilkinsons as you can see by the saving of Rs5.40 on the flash....

Ah OK, Rangers seemed convinced they were UK made. I enjoyed the shave anyway. Looking forward to my venture in to Prairie Creations tomorrow.

Friday

Gem OCMM
Gem PTFE (1)
Kent VS30
MWF
G Bellini Ice AS

Fancied a SE shave today so the beast was unleashed, and a jolly nice shave it was to, took it easy as this thing can bite and got a DFS, this things are buggers under the nose bit the rest of my chops was BBS.

TTFN

Tony

Friday

5/8 J Gleave & Son Hollow Ground
Palmolive soap (milled in a bowl)
Simpsons Commodore X1
Alum Block
Simple for Men AS Balm
Body Shop Activist EDT

Loss of concentration = small cut on chin :-( I'm going to have to ban the cat from the bathroom whilst I shave , as she keeps trying to get my attention and that's when I take my eye off the job at hand and *slice*....

Friday Night:

• - EJDE89L with Big Ben Blue super stainless
      - Le Tuft (Urban Hermit Model No. 1) Resyke - boar
      - Bea ShaveStick
      - Rose Thayers' Witch Hazel
      - Kartopu Gül Suyu RoseWater
      - Kartopu Tütün [/list:u][/list:u]

OK - I will go on record right now to state that for 'first time using' a soap or cream ... Bea was the oddest performing I've tried in my limited experience. I could not get a proper coating of lather, even a proper coating of 'watery' lather. I used it classic shave stick fashion:
      • - Wet the beard, and rub the soap through the beard thoroughly.
        - Shake most of the water from the soaked brush and load it from the stick
        • by brushing around the soap stickwith the 'sides' of the bristle-tips as well as
          loading the breach like rehearsing a sex-ed lecture with shaving kit for props. [/list:u]
          - Then agitate the soaped beard with the soaped brush, adding water a little
          • at a time to build a moisture-rich lather to make any rabid Saint Bernard
            salivate, even more copiously, with envy...[/list:u][/list:u]

... the best I achieved was an even, coating of suds approximately 1 medium bubble thick, which soon dried to a tight armour-like consistency.

... and it ate more and more and more water without changing considerably from that state. It provided no slip whatsoever for the actual shave, though it didn't cause any dragging and/or stutter/shudder strokes either. It gave a plenitude of afterslip.

I couldn't rinse the soap film from the blade.

... it did give a 2 pass & polish shave with decent results.

I'm wondering if this is one of those scarce soaps, that truly does require a 'warm-to-hot' water shave. It will be tried again at some point in the fairly near-future, I'm pretty certain of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom