Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday

Feather AS-D1 Razor
Swede
New Forest 2201
MB's Spellbound Woods Soap
Nivea Sensitive asb

Not sure what the fuss is about with these Mama Bear's soaps. It's ok, but that's it.

Ian

Saturday:
Sensor (Edwin Jagger)
Duke 2 (Best)
Palmolive soap stick
Boots Freshwood aftershave

Ian, that's what I have long suspected about any home-made soaps. I have a pre-judge attitude though as I haven't tried any . . . not a single one, but I just can't see how some bint in a kitchen arsing about with a huge pan full of gunk, wearing a pinny and a hair-net could ever think they could compete with 'real' soap makers.

joe mcclaine said:
Ian, that's what I have long suspected about any home-made soaps. I have a pre-judge attitude though as I haven't tried any . . . not a single one, but I just can't see how some bint in a kitchen arsing about with a huge pan full of gunk, wearing a pinny and a hair-net could ever think they could compete with 'real' soap makers.

Your loss; more of the good stuff for me then!
:D

Saturday morning
Pre: Hot shower
Razor: C W Dahlgren frameback
Brush: Grosvenor the Bodger
Soap: Tabac
AS: Tabac
Strop: Neil Miller linen/buffallo 30/50
Result: Uberclean
Wow, what a brush, for the price tag. First time and it loaded and lathered like a champ (soked it for 15 min). Razor is ultra sharp - HHT 5, I don´t have to drag the hair against the edge, just tap it against it :D. Brush pic is taken right after the load.
48282d1283592756-sotd-sun-august-29th-sat-september-4rd-snb13338.jpg
48283d1283592756-sotd-sun-august-29th-sat-september-4rd-snb13331.jpg

Urban Hermit said:

I'll happily take the 'Pepsi challenge' using any of my factory / mass-produced soaps against any home-made soap, and I think if most people are honest (rather than just polite) they would say the same.

joe mcclaine said:
I am frequently seen arsing about in the kitchen with a huge pan full of gunk wearing a pinny and a hairnet - only I call it cooking.
Vinny, you have been gentleman enough to state that you have a pre-judge attitude in these matters - will you in the same spirit allow me to send you a sample of some of Sharon' finest?

Addendum - Vinny and I have exchanged PM's and honour is satisfied! :D

Really nice of you Sir P!

I guess it´s a matter of taste aswell. I like slippery and slick lather (maybe most do?) and thick lather. I find, for example, Cella to fit that criteria very good. Sharons stuff is right up there w Cella aswell. Tabac is very nice aswell, but not as slippery as Sharons soaps or Cella. And for my taste, Palmolive (as you used today Ian), is a very good soap aswell, but not as slippery as Sharons soaps or Cella. Ok ... don´t hit me if I´ve said anything stoopied :lol:

I have found in my limited experience, that when used the "Home made" soaps- Mama Bear's, Nanny's etc (when a decent formulation like both are) lathers as well as the well known soap companies, and also can provide more slipperyness - to the extent that it still feels slippy when i do a between pass rinse. This is not to say that i would stop using any of the other soaps, but merely increase the range that i do use.

Saturday

Fatboy
Astra Plat (4)
EJ Med Silvertip
Trumper's Coconut Cream
SWK Scuttle
Alum
Trimaran AS.

Saturday:

Hot towel
New Forest 2201
Acca Kappa 1869 cream
Merkur Futur
Super Iridium blade
Acca Kappa 1869 balm
Acca Kappa cologne

Luxury. First proper shave following five days in hospital having my lower back rearranged and supplemented by six large screws and some associated ironmongery. The Acca Kappa stuff was bought from The Gentleman's Shop in Hungerford, my last trip out before my op, as I'm now not allowed to drive for six weeks. It's a joy to use, the cream being similar in consistency to my favourite Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort. I'm not supposed to stand for any length of time at the moment, so I'm shaving in instalments. Still, it's worth the effort.

joe mcclaine said:
Urban Hermit said:

I'll happily take the 'Pepsi challenge' using any of my factory / mass-produced soaps against any home-made soap, and I think if most people are honest (rather than just polite) they would say the same.

I don't drink my shave soaps, and I hate blindfolds. :lol:

I know Canadians have a rep for being oh so very very fucking polite, but, I personally, don't tend to say much of anything (other than 'please' and/or 'thanks') purely out of 'politeness'. If I felt I wasn't being sincere, I'd say nothing, not spout some ingratiating, empty flattery. I don't like 'some' of the bigger-name corporate soaps/creams, due more to the 'feel' and 'smells' and 'the headache/nausea/etc' factors of some of their products, even more so than due to my anti-corporate sentiments, of which I have some (and have never stated otherwise).

For example, Palmolive, and Tabac even moreso, can lather up a roomful of luscious thick lather, but it makes my skin feel dry and itchy is very little time; I find the smell to be evocative of the olfactory 'image' of overly-, and poorly-perfumed detergents slopped into a rusty bucket half-full of puke, and it makes my brain feel like my ears are trying to suck my eyeballs out and spit them into 'a half-full, rusty bucket of semi-slopped-out puke'. Hence I don't like it much as stuff that doesn't make me go through that set of sensory experience. Whether the soap is described as 'homemade', 'artisan crafted', 'teleported by alien insect tallow-scupltors' or 'made by genetically-modified cromagnons in a bunker made of cheese & lint' is less important to me than how it works for me.

We all like & dislike what we like & dislike for our own reasons ... & that's about where it shall rest most likely, which is also fine by me. Different strokes for different folks; horses for courses; whatever floats your boat, or wanks your crank.

... and all that ... cliche, eh.
:)

Saturday, 04-09-10.

Soap from Marseille - TGN UK Super Badger - Edwin Jagger DE89L - Shark #1 - Pre: 100% Shea Butter Institut Karité - Institut Karité shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Alt Innsbruck sample + ASB Institut Karité.

Afeitado04-09-10002.jpg

Saturday

6/8 Royal Warmar
Henk's Bay Rum with a Twist cream
Simpsons Commodore X1
Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
Simple for Men AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman AS Lotion

The second of my stunningly refurbished eBay straights that I got back from Neil yesterday. Given how closely the first had shaved me last night, it didn't feel like I had anything to really shave off this morning but I wanted to give the razor a go. Well, it went at it like a stubble-seeking missile. If there was the slightest bit of stubble keeking out of a follicle, the Warmar destroyed it. I have to admit to being surprised at how much stubble there was in the lather I was wiping off the blade between strokes. Neil said that it'd been a real pig to hone because it had an uneven grind or slight warp, resulting in large bevel on one side with thin edges and a thin bevel on the other side with a large edge. He did a fantastic job though - this thing is ninja sharp! I really can't praise him enough - two beautiful vintage razors that look and shave like they were brand new.

Saturday 2010-09-04

Shower and ESPA mud as pre
Black handled SS & Gillette Platinum (#2)
Semogue 1250 & Castle Forbes Lime Essential Oil
Alum
Proraso after shave lotion & balm

IMG_1066.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom