L'Occitane Verbena soap
vintage Gottlieb Hammesfahr foche 4/8
New Forest Tubby 1
Vulfix Persian Musk
Alum + Distilled Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
L'Occitane Bavx EDT.

Jamie

Of the four attemps at using a straight razor of the four razors iv'e tried I would say this one would be the best shaver so far, if I were to switch to a straight blade I would try to get a modern or custom made 4/8 blade I like the control and preciseness this blade offered up, nice shave, still not convinced about straight razors, but I dont give up easy, will return, I still think they look fantastic though, and will continue to restore them really enjoying my new found hobby.

001.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1946-47 Aristocrat/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Creed Original Cologne

Tried a recent razor find, just to make sure it shaves properly.
Found this one in the wild and it cleaned up nicely. It's got just a tad more bite than some other 1946 models I've used over the years. Yep, this one's not quite the right fit for me, but still a very nice shaver. Up for sale soon

BBS results,

Martin

Oh yeah, tomorrow I'm test driving a very beautiful Leresche on loan from Robert. Now that should be fun.

Friday 08-05-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Morris & Forndran 25X53 two bands - Shaving Shack Fat-tip open comb - Israeli Personna #1 - Pre Myrsol Emulsión - Geo F. Trumper Coconut shaving soap - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Sul Filo del Rasoio - ASL Floïd Vigoroso.

Afeitado05-08-11.jpg

Only my second morning shave (with a DE), and the only shave where I've not been straight out of the shower.

Face wash (Bulldog)
Palmolive stick, face-lathered with
New Forest Tubby 2
Gillette Slim-Twist
Gillette 7OC Yellow (5)
Nivea ASB

As good a shave as I've ever had. I was concerned about whether my stubble would be wet enough, and shouldn't have been. Just lovely.

IanM said:
Friday

Institut Karite Shaving Soap

Same as yesterday. Slightly better lather from the IK today, but still far from being the best. I plan to try some test lathers this evening, as I was expecting better from this soap.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yeah, I've heard more than once about lather issues with that soap....kinda like the MWF thing in a way. I'm sorry, but I can't help you fix whatever the problem is. I've used the IK many times before, and I just fix the lather like any hard soap....no difference.

For whatever the reason, the lather looks good, and performance is top notch. The world famous post shave skin care is the bonus. I'm just saying it may be worth spending a little time with the IK. It almost always gets very good reviews, although not from everyone of course.

Were you around when that stuff went extinct? Maybe been a few years now, and suddenly you could not but the soap. All vendors ran out and couldn't reorder. People were even ordering from online retail stores till they ran out too. Weird deal, but the IK shortage is just one story. Oh yeah, everyone was looking to score a puck.......pretty funny. I actually had a small stockpile so thank God the pressure was off....heh.

Well, I've made my pitch. That was my go to soap for many months and it's still in my rotation after some years.

Martin

Pre-shave: Musgo glycerine soap
Brush: Rooney Finest small
Razor: L'Alouette
Strop: Scrupleworks 2" linen and cowhide, vintage handle
Soap: GFT cream
Bowl: Schwarzweisskeramiek extra large
A/S or astringent: Weleda lotion
A/S balm: - Avène
Alum: -
Cologne: -
Moisturizer: -
Comments: Early 20th century French blade with bakelite-type scales not showing any signs of age - stubble brushed off like the proverbial feather duster!
2i07pfo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom