Shave of the Day W/C Saturday 22nd May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday
Feather AC with Professional blade
Semogue 1305 brush
Palmolive shaving soap stick
D R Harris Pink AS
Kouros Energizing Tonique (shaken, not stirred)

Paint has flaked off both my Semogue 1305s now and the bristles are very stiff if I don't let them soak for a while.

Razor - open comb head marked only "Made in England", fat tech aluminum handle
Dorco (1)
Kent h8
Connaught bay rum cream
D R Harris Bay Rum AS

Very nice, quick shave.

Tuesday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Tesco personna blade (1st try)
Ingrams menthol cream (1st try)
Men-U synthetic brush
Alum bar (1st try)
Nivea ASB (1st try)

After some horrific shaves last week I left my face alone for 2 days until today. I'd previously been using a Derby blade for my first week of DE shaving so had gone out and bought the only alternative I could find at tesco. I had bought Ingrams cream after reading about it on here, an alum block for 79p at an Asian cash and carry (thanks to Hunnymonster) and some Nivea ASB after it was mentioned on here it was half price in Morrisons.

The result...............

An excellent very close shave! Best yet. Main difference other than the blade change was that I had a long look at my stubble and mapped it better so I shaved from ear over jaw to halfway down neck in same direction WTG then bottom of neck upwards to meet that line. I managed 3 passes on face and upper neck WTG, XTG and ATG but made sure just not to faff about too much each pass and not to try and take the whole lot off at once. My lathering has improved greatly and my blade technique is coming on. The alum and Nivea were excellent too. I will try a Derby again but felt the personna much better. I've orderd a sample pack from Connaught so I'll have a few more to try soon.

Today DE shaving was everything I had hoped it would be when I converted!!!!!!!!!!! :shave

Tuesday

1960 Gillette Fatboy (#5)
Shaving Shack Israeli blade (#3)
Col Conk Amber soap
Kent BK4
Alum Block
Lloyds' Chemist Witch Hazel
Gillette Series AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Nothing beats the white heat of the Pinaud after a good, close shave! Surprisingly good shave for the final use of that blade: just missed a BBS shave by leaving a couple of stray stubble-ends at each corner or my mouth.

Tuesday

EJ DE87
Trumpers Limes cream
Wilkinsons blade
Commodore
RazorRock alum
Aquatonic

Quick two pass WTG shave today, I'm loving this razor. Only my 2nd shave with it and the weight and control is just a different class to the Gillette Tech. Heavy razors are the way forward.

Tuesday 25-05-10.

Soap from Alepo - Semogue 830 - Merkur 37C slant - Red Personna #2 - De Vergulde Hand shaving soap - Alum block - Astringent Thayers Lemon - ASL Sir Irisch Moos.

Afeitado25-05-10002.jpg

Wednesday

Trumper Razor
Feather
EJ Best Badger
Castle Forbes Pre-Shave
Castle Forbes Lavender Cream
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Ian

Wednesday

EJ Chatsworth
Astra Platinum (3)
Neo Finest 2-Band
Kent / MWF Soap
SWK Scuttle
"RocketRazor" Alum (from Audiolab)
Witch Hazel
Cerrus Blue Steel AS
Daniel Hechter Contact ASB

An Average shave today. After getting a blinding lather with the Kent/MWF soap last time i used it, todays felt too airy and not slick enough for some reason! In the run up to the last one, i had been adding a drop of water to the soap every day or so, to keep it hydrated, which of late i have forgotten to do, so i wonder if that may be the issue. (I had read on here that this works best if used often, so that it remains hydrated).

The Alum block stick is quite good. It feels strange at first as i am now used to rubbing a brick shaped block on the face, but the stick is obviously more like a deo stick, so application takes a tad longer due to reduced surface area - but the idea is great, especially if you are moving around here and there.

Have a good day gents,

Pre: Shower
Brush: Two band finest custom 24 mm by Chris
Razor: E A Gustavsson 6/8
Cream: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
AS: Old Spice Fresh Lime
Ahh, lovely shave! Honed the razor yesterday evening with my new Belgian combo stone and it worked out :D. No pull as before and a close enough shave after two passes. Even the cat was impressed

42910d1274858543-sotd-sun-may-23rd-sat-may-29th-snb11550.jpg
42911d1274858543-sotd-sun-may-23rd-sat-may-29th-snb11546.jpg

Mikael said:
Pre: Shower
Brush: Two band finest custom 24 mm by Chris
Razor: E A Gustavsson 6/8
Cream: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
AS: Old Spice Fresh Lime
Ahh, lovely shave! Honed the razor yesterday evening with my new Belgian combo stone and it worked out :D. No pull as before and a close enough shave after two passes. Even the cat was impressed

42910d1274858543-sotd-sun-may-23rd-sat-may-29th-snb11550.jpg
42911d1274858543-sotd-sun-may-23rd-sat-may-29th-snb11546.jpg

Great photos - was the cat after a shave?

Wednesday

As I continue my reading of Scottish history, I'm thinking of taking my bullet proof vest with me next week.

Exciting shave today. First run out of a New Forest Finest Silvertip prototype - 22mm knot 50mm loft. It's simply superb - it has bloomed but it is dense enough and has tips which make face lathering a joy. TOBS Mr Taylor is one of my favourite creams. Merkur 38C/swede as good as usual.

5-8.jpg

Wednesday
Feather AC with Professional blade
Semogue 1305 brush
Tabac soap
Old Spice aftershave

10th shave with this blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom