Shave of the Day W/C Saturday 22nd May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday

Prep:
Hot shower
Hardware: USA Special Straight, clean up with an Edwin Jagger DE 89 and Wilkinson Sword Blade.
Software: Real Shaving Company menthol cream and a Vulfix 2235 super badger brush.
Post shave: Alum, Gillette Series ASB and Aquatonic AS

1z1dbo5.jpg

6th straight shave and it certainly is a much steeper learning curve than DE shaving was! However every time I learn a bit more so the curve is most certainly being climbed. Stropping is coming along now and I did some stropping on newspaper which seemed to smooth things up a bit more too. At the moment its all about getting the right hand position to maintain the correct angle but its coming along nicely even if I do say so myself.

Wednesday.

Hot shower.
Arko Extra Sensitive shave cream.
Face lathered (for a change) with my BeeJay rebuilt KH2 brush.
Great lather with this Arko product.
Merkur Futur with Derby blade which is still shaving well after 3 goes.
Finished off with alum block and DR HARRIS After Shave Milk.

Good shave today,methinks.
N.

Wednesday

Short-Handled Super-Adjustable (1972)
Gillette Swede (2nd use)
Kent BLK2
St James "Founders Reserve" S/C
One Planet ASB

I really, really like the St James cream. Oodles of cushiony thick lather. My Super-A (on 5) loaded with a Swede is a fantastic combo, which I go to most days.

A really lovely shave!

Wednesday AM

Merkur 11c OC
Red Personna (1)
Vulfix 404 Bodger
BS Maca Root Cream

Nivea ASB
Old Spice AS

Ok result.

The 11c was not as smooth as I remember; no idea why. So much so that I intend to swap the blade into something else tonight! It may be that I've fallen out of love with it. The lighter 15c and the R41 may be the way forward with OC hardware for me...too many razors, too much choice, too little time.

:?

Slow Shaving said:
Tuesday 25-05-10.

Soap from Alepo - Semogue 830 - Merkur 37C slant - Red Personna #2 - De Vergulde Hand shaving soap - Alum block - Astringent Thayers Lemon - ASL Sir Irisch Moos.

Afeitado25-05-10002.jpg

Hi Slow ! ..Wonder if you can help? Where do you get your Irisch Moos product ?

Cheers m'dear

spandex.. :)

Weapon of choice: D.R.Harris DE 87 coupled with an Iridium blade(Russian), second time out!
Brush : Simp.Duke 3 Best
Cream : EJ Prem. con. Aloe Vera (tube).
And after:
Alum // Dr Henks ASB( Bay Rum with a twist). // Cella cologne(from Connaught sample).
Prep: Not a lot! Washed face with ordinary soap, then 2 minutes hot flannel.

Hi everyone! Well I was in a real rush this morning, so just went for it with the above equipment. Two passes WTG, a bit of touching up around the chin, produced an SAS, good enough for the office! Just getting used to the DE 87, what a very heavy razor it is, but feels very good in use! Ideal for the swifter shave I find, the weight properly utilised doing a lot of the work for you,(especially if you are only doing WTG at the time!). :shave

spandex..

Wednesday

EJ DE87
Trumpers Limes cream
Wilkinsons blade
Commodore
RazorRock alum
Aquatonic
RSC Balm

I think the blade was past it. Ever get the feeling from the very first stroke that it's going to be a bad one? I should have washed and started over, but I decided to press on and do two light WTG passes despite the stubble feeling very coarse. Turned out alright if somewhat patchy on my neck. I've already preloaded a 7 O'Clock yellow ready for tomorrow.

Wednesday - still on holiday with family

Feather Travel
Feather (2)
Culmak Soap
Men-U pure bristle
Alum

Poor second lather again - think it's the water rather than the soaps. 2 pass WTG and XTG - not BBS but not a bad shave. I do like the lather from the Culmak and it smells good too.

Nuckles all intact today too!

Spent the rest of the day in the Natural History Museum and checking out Big Ben from the London Eye.

Past couple of days have been my trying to ease my face into shave-shape condition after at least 25 years of not being 'clean shaven'. Trying to only do single strokes in sectors made up of level-ish planes of surface areas in N/S passes ...

- cleanse
- apply pre-shave oil
- full boar brush (alternating between Semogue 2000 & Omega Pro 49)
- 1971 Gillette 'the Knack' with black plastic handle, mostly (but tonight was the 1940's NDC Gillette Tech ... SWMBA will be using the Knack for a while - she even noticed the diffence between it a the Tech - "this one's handle is longer; I liked that better than the shiny one").
- 'English Swedes' arrived with bonus Crystal from Largo (thanks again mate), I've used the Crystal, but none of the EngliShwedes yet.
- Col. Conk's Lime soap (mainly)
- alum
- my own 'mad-scentist
Scientist_by_AreusT.jpg
cocoction' Bay Rum ASL (though one night I tried an EJ's AS Sea Buckthorn sample - pretty nice I think, for a commercial scent)
- as per my usual preference, copious amounts of cold water for rinsing

On the whole, I'm having quite some bother disciplining myself to not keep shaving for more than 2 to 3 passes, and to stick to a strict N/S stroke. That being said, I can tell my skin is healing up from the trauma of de-bearding and repeated forays with razor sharp metal - not fully healed & therefore not fully inured to the new regime yet, but getting along bit by bit.
Injured_by_kokonut10.gif

Wednesday 05-26-10.

Soap from Aleppo - Restored Brush TGN silvertip Grade A - Merkur 37C slant - Personna Israel #3 - Dr. Harris Lavanda shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Brummel + 444.

Afeitado26-05-10.jpg

Thursday
Bic Sensitive razor
Semogue 1305 brush
Palmolive shaving soap stick
Old Spice aftershave

Didn't use the Feather Artist Club today - used it last night on my head. The blade had already given me 10 shaves but it still cut through a week's worth of hair with ease.

Thursday

72 hrs stubble

AoS badger
Vision 2000 / Gillette Blue (1)
Cella
Speick AS & ASB

- A fine shave.
- I like Mikael's cat.
- The Cella seems harder to lather than the P.160 and at the moment is the least favorite of mine (it's still very slick, though).
- The Speick AS and ASB are doing a very nice job, the ASB feels less 'heavy' than the Weleda and more refined than the Nivea.
- This 20% discount from Leon for today is tempting, but since I was disappointed from the Musgo set I got from Connaught couple of weeks back I wonder if the La Toja or any other Confianca stuff are really any different. I guess my issue is with the vetyver and patchouli in MR and not with smt else.
- The less pressure I apply when using the Vision 2000, the better results I get.
- The Acqua di Parma bath/shower soap is very nice indeed.

Thursday

Trumper Razor
Feather
EJ Best Badger
Castle Forbes Pre-Shave
Castle Forbes Lavender Cream
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom