Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday

Kropp 5/8
New Forest 2201
Castle Forbes Lavender Cream
Alum
L'Occitane Cade asb

Better than yesterday, until I sliced the corner of my chin. The lather in that area had not been spread out, and I couldn't see where my face ended and the lather began. Oops!

I think that my stropping was poor yesterday, and the blade not sharp, but this morning, I did a handful of laps on the barber hone, and then stropped the crap out of it. Seemed to do the trick.

Still hair on my neck that gets missed, but, on we go...

Ian

My first SOTD

Saturday 22nd Jan 2011

Muhle R89
Vulvix 2235
Proraso Pre (White tub)
MWF and Musgo Real Cream
Alum
Thayers Original Witch Hazel
Musgo Real AS with 444 gel/balm
Musgo Real ASB

This was and still feels like the best shave I have ever had. 3 passes, WTG, XTG and ATG (2 months ago my face would have been shredded.) Probably not BBS but pretty damn close. Seems like a winning formula for me but I have so many new goodies to try!

Semogue 1800 : Taylor witness 5/8 Full Hollow : Mitchell's Wool Fat

P1222284.jpg

Saturday
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson PJ3
Razor: Henkotsu
Soap: Nannys Citrus Zinger
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Strops: Neil Miller x3 + my thin Dovo (perfect width )
Result: Very clean :D
I´m very happy to get such a good result (in my eyes) with my first kamisori shave ever :D. I could prob. have used a little more of a direct touch, but my respect for these razors are greater than my will to get a perfect shave (it´ll come, in time). Thank you Telly, the powers have tried their best to delay this shave, but you came through for me. :D :mrgreen:
P1220008800x591.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

1964 Macys silvertip
1966 Slim/Iridium
The Soap Opera Himalaya SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
vintage Aramis 'Havana' EdT

It's been a long time since I last used a slim, but I wanted to make sure this one shaved properly. I've had this for quite a while but never used the thing, and recently I found it a new home. I didn't want to send out a razor that wasn't right, and this one performed just fine.

Heh, the Havana was a pleasant estate sale find from a while back. I hadn't sniffed that juice before seeing it there, but had been wanting to sample it sometime. This was an instant hit with my nose, and I happily paid one whole dollar for the full bottle.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Havana.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 145
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Wee Scot
Razor: Dovo Bismarck 6/8 full hollow
Soap: Henks Dutch Moss
AS: Dr Harris milk of cucumber and roses

Only 2nd use of my Wee Scot to assess its performance and break it in. It lathers well and would easily suffice if going away.
5th shave with the Bismarck and things are improving as I even managed to remove most of the stubble from the end of my chin. As Mikael would say a clean shave :D
I have decided to suspend the use of alum and witch hazel AS and just use the moisturiser which has resulted in a lot less irritation.

Very pleased!

Just had my 3rd shave on the bounce, which is definitely a first. I used the Feather blade from yesterdays shave and tried it in the 500HD rocket. This with normal prep and a first go with Henk's Dutch moss from Ids. Well the results were outstanding.Enjoyable effortless shave all topped off with the panasha A/S.
Very nice.
Have a great weekend lads and lasses and think of me on my weekend of nights.

Saturday, 01-21-11. Full sandalwood & Art Decó.

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive - Omega 11126 - Gillette Aristocrat #58 Coronation Set - Astra Super Platinum #1 - Pre Skin Food Sandalwood - Crabtree & Evelyn Saldalwood shaving soap - Alum block - Aftershave Skin Food Sandalwood.

Afeitado22-01-11002-1-1.jpg

Right - after what happened yesterday I decided (unusually for me) to shave again today (normally leave 48 hours between shaves).

Prep: Hot flannel over thin layer of lather, then rinsed and reapplied hot flannel
Merkur HD
Fresh Crystal Platinum
TOBS lemon & lime tub cream
TOBS synthetic brush
Boots witch hazel
Nivea balm

Those of you who read about my trials and tribulations yesterday might remember that I wanted to pin down the source of my massive irritation. I therefore kept most variables the same, except I switched the stiff and rather scratchy Body Shop brush for my TOBS synthetic, which I have successfully used to face-lather Real Shave Co. cream in the past. I therefore face-lathered the same cream with a different brush than yesterday. Only other differences were very thorough prep, very careful attention paid to angle and pressure on blade (angle at times was so shallow that the blade wasn't even touching), and, following a suggestion in the chatroom, holding a cold flannel to my face after the shave instead of just a quick cold water rinse.
Result? My face is on fire again. I did my normal 3 passes (WTG, XTG, XTG), but no touch-ups this time, and I'm hurting as badly as yesterday.
Conclusions?
1. I like tub creams, and my TOBS synthetic is great at face-lathering - not at all scratchy and generated loads of thick, slippery lather much quicker than the cheap Body Shop brush did yesterday. I still had loads left in the brush after the third pass.
2. The lemon and lime does not like my face. First pass was beautifully smooth - the new Crystal blade glided like a dream, but, after reapplying lather I could feel my face burning and tingling, partcularly around the corners of my mouth and upper cheeks. As I sit here, those areas feel hot and are stinging.
3. Though the Body Shop brush didn't do the majority of the damage yesterday, I'm still going to get rid of it. I bought it as a stop-gap while I waited for my TOBS synthetic brush to arrive with the thought that I'd then use it as a travel brush. Thing is, I don't want to have to take my lather bowl on holiday with me, so, whatever brush I travel with must be a comfy face-latherer, and the Body Shop brush is too slow in generating lather and too prickly for me.

If you go to the trade section , you'll see that I'm looking to PIF the cream and brush.

Saturday, 1.22.11

Aura Glow and Hot Towel Treatment ... I deserve it!
Ingram Shave Cream
Badger brush from the New Forest
R. Helliwell Crystal 9/16ths
Tony Miller Strop .. 75 Linen/90 Latigo
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Bloc Osma Alum
Osage Rub AS

I knew the Crystal was a nice blade, but as my skills on the stones improves, so does the edge on this diminutive little blade!
I decided for menthol all 'round today with the Ingram cream and the Osage Rub, which I haven't used since summer..

Outstanding!

IMG_3065-2.jpg

Chrisbel,

You say that after the first pass the irritation started when you face lathered for the second pass. From that I would think that either the brush, the soap or the way you lather could be the culprit. You say you are piffing off the brush and cream, I would also suggest you lather in a seperate bowl for a while, to give your skin time to calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom