Not open for further replies.
DSCN4301.jpg

Saturday AM

Merkur 34C HD
Derby Extra blade
Tabac shaving stick
Wilkinson shaving brush
Tabac AS

The 34C is only four days old and up to today, it is has been giving me a rough shave with Arko shaving stick and a Merkur blade which came with the razor. However, with Tabac shaving stick and the Derby blade, I have got a close shave which feels great. At the moment, my newbie face can only stand a Derby blade. I have to say that the 34C feels safe, and looks like a work of art!

I'm glad it's working out for you Mr Recluse. Both of the soaps are regarded as decent, so please don't jettison the Arko (it's not for nothing that it was voted "Best Shaving Soap" by the Custard Pie Makers' Guild of Hollywood from 1932-1941), but consider investing in a blade sampler pack. There's a fair enough chance that the Derby you used was one of the good ones, but they're known for throwing up duds; Merkur is a good name for razors, but not so good for blades. For a sensible not-too-sharp but consistent blade, the Red Israeli Personnas are a safe, economical bet, and they are available unbranded albeit at a higher price in the supermarkets too (not Sainsburys).

Thank you Mr Arrowhead for your encouragement and sound advice. I will stick with the Arko, as it has worked well up to now. I think the problem was the Merkur blade. Nevertheless, I will seek out some Red Israeli Personnas as you have suggested. Thanks again!

scottymac said:
Saturday

Hot Shower
Loccitane Face Wash
Fitjar Mint Cream(Wow)
NF2221
EJ89L
Permasharp Super#3
Loccitane Face Splash
Fitjar Mint ASB(Wow)

Well after a day of emptying the loft and feeling dirty decided to try my new Fitjar Mint Cream out all i can say is wow same with the ASB.
Will be doing a review on them both.
Lovley shave again with the permasharp and the EJ

Look forward to the Fitjar review. I bookmarked this brand a while ago and completely forgot about it until I heard Executive Shaving were stocking it. The balm does seem a bit pricey to me so would be good to read about how it performs. I know on the Norwegian website they did samples but the site is down atm.

Pre - hot shower
Soap - L'Occataine Cade
Brush - NF2221 (soft!)
Razor - Mergress
Blade - 7 o'clock yellow
AS - Thayers witch hazel
ASB - Dr Harris cucumber and roses

2 pass gentle shave for night shift resulting in a DFS with no irritation. This really is a wonderfully soft brush! Enjoying a break from straight shaving for a few days, never easy with shift work. Will be back on the straight and narrow next week :lol: :roll:

Coat on, leaving.........

Sunday
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: Chubby 2
Razor: Wacker
Cream: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
That´s how you should scrape the stubble off :mrgreen:. Relaxing, easy and comfortable all the way. Lather in masses and warm, thanks to my new and fantastic SWK scuttle. Nice one! :D
007773x800.jpg

Sunday:
Merkur 15C open comb, Wilkinson blade :shave
Cyril R. Salter Badger
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood luxury Shaving Cream (whipped to a lather in a coffee mug)
Pashana bay Rum (The odour lasts for ages :D )

Sunday

Headshave
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Cooling Gel

Faceshave
Merkur 11c (Open-comb HD)
Wilkinson Sword Blade (Old German made)
Simpson Duke 2 in Best brush
D R Harris Almond shaving soap
D R Harris Pink afterhsave
Kouros Eau de Toilette

OK, I haven't used any kind of gel to shave with for some time and won't be using this stuff again any time soon.

Sticky, cloggy, messy, chemical smelling bright blue gunk.

Sunday

Kropp 5/8
New Forest 2201 Brush
Castle Forbes Pre-Shave
L'Occitane Cade Shaving Soap
Aqua Velva a/s

Not bad at all. Still feels like the blade is scraping the whiskers off rather than cutting them, but I've learned to realise that's the way a straight razors feels. Managed some ATG which is always nice, as that gets the shave close enough. Still takes bloody ages for 3 passes.

Ian

Sunday

White proraso pre/post
NF silvertip
Proraso Green Soap
Flare tip rocket + Shark SS (1)
Alum
Thayers Superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: very smooth, a bit of neck irritation. Think this razor is a bit more agressive than the Muhle R41, or maybe I just got used to the R41. I think my angle might have been off a little. I have had some excellent shaves with this razor, so I put it down to that.

Sunday

Pre: Hot Shower and face washed with Col Conk soap
Razor: Parat
Blade: Shark (3)
Cream: Palmolive
Brush: Semogue 830
Misc: Old Spice Mug :cool:

Lovely shave. Missed a bit around my chin which is doing my head in. First shark blade I've used and still getting a great shave on it's 3rd go. Will I risk it on a 4th? I don't think so.

Also the 830 is finally holding a lather! It's turnig out to be a great brush.

I also forgot how good Palmolive cream is, it makes me think why we spend so much on other stuff.

Sunday

iKon Deluxe Bulldog
Ladas Super Stainless (Russian 1)
Omega Boar
TOBS Sandlewood Shave Soap
Old Spice Original After Shave

First time ever using the Ladas which was part of a small sample received from The Russian Razor. An incredible smooth and sharp blade.

Sunday

Loccitane Face Wash
NF2221
Fitjar Folgefonn Mint Face Cream
Slim Adjustable
Superthin#1
Loccitane Face Wash
Fitjar Folgefonn Mint ASB

Went back to my trusty superthins blade today with the combination of my new Fitjar Cream and the blade it was one of these shaves that you never want to end,this to me is waht DE shaving is all about highly enjoyable and a very nice shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom