Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 17th July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday Night:

- Carrot & Calendula soap from the Yorkshire Soap Co's Hebden Bridge outlet via SWMBA
    • Sadly. Yorkshire Soap Co doesn't provide any igredients on their website nor does it list their products. SWMBA says no shaving soaps, but I can go in and pestert hem about that stuff next time I go up to visit our frined who lives there.[/list:u][/list:u]
      - beejay's custom Cobalt Blue SuperBadger with Park Avenue Enjoy cream
        • The Park Avenue wasn't the best cream I've ever had a shave with. Produced more after-slip than either slip or buffer or its first time out.[/list:u][/list:u]
          - 1980 G1000 slotted up with a Kai Stainless
            • Can't really say with confidence that the I find the Kai blade favourably impressive, seemed alright but afterwards my jowls are a bit unhappy[/list:u][/list:u]
              - My Mighty Menthol AlumWater spritz
              - Thayers' Rose witch hazel
              - Kartopu Kolonya RoseWater
                • Actually named Rosewater in Turkish, and though the same parent company as the Kolonya Limon & Tutun, it is a differently named subsudiary/sister company[/list:u][/list:u]

IanM said:
Yeah, and one day I'll actually get around to trying to play it!

I'm playing a round tomorrow and another on Friday. I'm only just starting out so I only play Par-3 courses.

It's a great game - wish I'd started earlier.

Anyway, today's shave.

Monday
EJ DE87 with Feather blade
Simpson Duke 2 Best
Palmolive stick
The Hammam Bouquet

Started off with a 1970 Super Speed with Jewel blade - didn't even get half my face done before they were both punted through the bathroom window.

Won't be using Palmolive again either. It is a faff in stick form and it is a faff to put into a bowl.

That'll learn me.

Monday

Cobra Classic
Feather Pro Blade
EJ Best Badger
Cella
Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive asb

Great combination. The Cella works nicely with the Cobra. In fact, Cella seems to work with EVERYTHING, and it looks like being my discovery of the year.

Third shave with the Cobra, and I'm adapting to it quite nicely.

Ian

Monday morningish
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: Busmar
Razor: John Nesbitt 13/16
Cream: Vulfix English Rose
AS: English Leather
Strop: Neil Miller linnen/buffallo 30/50
Result: Very nice

Two passes + some touch ups = very clean. I went English today, only Proraso wasn´t.
45920d1279538097-sotd-sun-july-18th-sat-july-24rd-snb12854.jpg

Monday

Mühle R89
Israeli (4)
Pure Badger
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 cream
Alum
Coral Skin food *
Moisturizer

* After being briefly interested in method shaving and reading the various threads on here I decided my own approach with easily obtainable products that I already have. I was to use a bit more skin food, after all thats similar to method shaving, some other agent is used to stop being cut and allow faster blade work. Well, I have to say that using more by applying pre shave and before the final pass (and after shave) worked a treat. I purposely went over areas such as the lower neck more that would cause razor burn. No burn at all. the blade was passed it's best and I can claim a DFS/BBS. Of course, all I've done is apply pre shave oil more frequent and it worked. Oh the lather from Penhaligon's Opus 1870 worked a treat as well.

Monday

Gillette Knack
Bic Chrome (2)
Omega #49 Pro
Arko SS (milled into a bowl)
Thayers
Nivea Sensitive ASB
Knight AS

A very good shave from the knack/bic/arko combo.

TTFN

Tony

EJDE89
Iridium Super (1)
404 bodger
TOBS Mr Taylor cream
Witch Hazel
Kenzo Air EDT

More disappointment with TOBS :-(

I used a good dollop to makes sure the lather wouldn't be too thin/watery and whipped up a full lemon meringue pie's worth of lather. The scent was nice (old school barbershop). But the same problem as yesterday with TOBS Rose. No residue for a lubricated water pass and generally not as lubricated a shave as the more humble cream and soap I've been using so far.

I'll try the Avocado tomorrow but I'm not expecting any difference other than scent.

Monday

Pre - Hot shower
S/c - Connaught Luxury Spearmint
Razor - Feather Portable
Blade - Red IP (2)
Brush - Vulfix 404 Bodger
AS - Proraso
EDT - Castle Forbes Keig

Another quick and slightly aggressive shave at 5.30 for work. I still find that this only needs 2 passes to give me a SAS for work. I will try a DE89 handle on it tomorrow. The Connaught Spearmint is very minty nice. The CF Keig is nice initially but I found the scent didn't last long. Thanks to Audiolab for the sample. Still find the 404 Bodger an excellent brush when you think how much it costs!

bean said:
TOBS Mr Taylor cream

I used a good dollop to makes sure the lather wouldn't be too thin/watery and whipped up a full lemon meringue pie's worth of lather. The scent was nice (old school barbershop). But the same problem as yesterday with TOBS Rose. No residue for a lubricated water pass and generally not as lubricated a shave as the more humble cream and soap I've been using so far.

I'll try the Avocado tomorrow but I'm not expecting any difference other than scent.

What do you normally use? I've only tried TOBS shave stick which is great.

Monday

Futur
Thai Superthin (8)
Neo Finest 2-Band
Speick SS
Witch Hazel
Speick AS.

Not bad. A touch sore, but i think this blade is now past it's best for me :D

NatJag said:
bean said:
TOBS Mr Taylor cream

What do you normally use? I've only tried TOBS shave stick which is great.

Palmolive stick, Body Shop original and Macca Root, Ingrams, Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera soap puck, John Lewis (Vulfix) soap puck. Rotating between them and sometimes combining two (usually Ingrams + BS original).

With all of these I've had to rinse my face a good half a dozen times to get all of the soap residue off after a shave, with my face feeling slippery to the touch from the soap until then. Which is just the job when doing a final touch up water pass.

With the TOBS so far, I've only needed a couple of rinses with no slippery feeling left after shaving and not enough for a lubricated water pass as a consequence of the lather not being as slick and long lasting as the others. (I'd rate the top two as Palmolive and BS original based on performance.)

Slow Shaving said:
spandexcodpiece said:
I really like this picture Slow. I probably would have put the brush upright, but it's a nice piece of artwork mate! :D

Thanks spandexcodpiece. The true story is that I get a very bad pic and I edited (like a camouflage). Not problem, I work justin time. For your eyes: :lol:

Afeitado18-07-10001-1.jpg

Do you know what Slow, I think you should save this picture, get it framed, and at the next local Art exhibition, get it hung for all to see! I really rate it. It's good composition. It has "feel", and it is a good example of modern art work! :)

All the best,
spandex.. (In case you doubt my remarks, show it to someone who knows a thing or two about art in general ).

My 'loaner' Slant arrived today so I had to give it a quick whirl.

I don't own a whizzy camera or software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom