Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 17th July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday 07-18-10.

Soap from Aleppo in the shower and like pre - Semogue 730HD - Gillette President - 7 O'clock green Super Stainless #1 - TOBS Avocado - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Grey Flannel.

Afeitado18-07-10002-1.jpg

Hi Guys ! Hardware: M.Slant 37g / Red Personna(2) / Duke D3 B/B / Liz Riley (custom) Shaving Bowl.

Software: MWF soap / Alum / Thayers Toner(Rose). / Dr Henks Bay rum with a twist ASB

..3 passes in the "accepted" manner. With a new Shaving bowl, I thought I might have another crack at the MWF. What a difference having a piece of decent gear can make! Result was loads of good quality lather, and together with the Duke, I ended up wit a damned fine shave (DFS). :shave :D

Slow Shaving said:
Sunday 07-18-10.

Soap from Aleppo in the shower and like pre - Semogue 730HD - Gillette President - 7 O'clock green Super Stainless #1 - TOBS Avocado - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Grey Flannel.

Afeitado18-07-10002-1.jpg

I really like this picture Slow. I probably would have put the brush upright, but it's a nice piece of artwork mate! :D

beejay said:
Saturday:
Hot towel,
Ever ready 12a/ TRS cream
Feather Portable/Crystal
Alum
Nivea Replenishing ASB.

Thought Id give the Feather Portable an airing and it, with the Crystal, gave me a very satisfactory shave.
Delightful little razor to use and so cheap to buy :)
regards, beejay

Hi beejay!

You made me smile mate. :) - you are a brush-maker highly regarded amongst the forum members, and yet you didn't list a brush in the above "combo"! I kinda like that! Was it intentional ?

All the best,

spandex.. :shave

Mikael said:
Saturday morningish
Pre: Cold shower
Brush: Ikon 24 mm chubby in jade handle
Razor: Dorko 15/16
Soap: Nannys LE Yushu
ASB: Davidoff Cold Water
AS: Alcolado Glacial
Strop: Neil Miller linnen/buffallo 30/50
Result: Best ever!

Wow, I got this razor back from Neil (honing) and it´s now a beast both in size and preformance. It was like lawning the moan, the frase "the stubble melted away" also came to mind. WOW! I also head shaved today, with my NEW. Nannys soap is really great, sooo smooth and good to the skin and slick as few.
45852d1279364567-sotd-sun-july-11th-sat-july-17th-snb12836.jpg

Hi Mikael!

Nice to see you had a very satisfactory session yesterday. Nice looking razor too. I see that you are using the Alcolado after shave splash, is it good ? I know that it has got quite a fierce reputation because of very high alcohol content !

spandex.. :)

spandexcodpiece said:
Hi Mikael!

Nice to see you had a very satisfactory session yesterday. Nice looking razor too. I see that you are using the Alcolado after shave splash, is it good ? I know that it has got quite a fierce reputation because of very high alcohol content !

Hi Spandex! It´s very nice to use when it´s hot outside, but I would rate most AS:s higher as AS:s a "normal" day. If you have a little rough shave you´ll get punished in a very harsh way if you use Alcolado Glacial after :lol:

PS
Beejay used an "Ever ready" brush, you must have missed that.

EJDE89
NOS Jewel (4)
Vulfix Pure Badger (don't know the model - from John Lewis)
TOBS Rose
Witch Hazel
Lalique Homme (Horse) EDP

The end result wasn't bad - smooth and no nicks. But getting there wasn't as enjoyable as I expected.

I tried TOBS for the first time and had high expectations given the high praise it gets. I was disappointed. The lather was ok but nothing special. It didn't leave anything behind for a water pass like everything else I've used so far has (BS Original, BS macca root, Ingrams, John Lewis soap, Palmolive, EJ aloe vera). The scent was pleasant but I would rate it's performance as the worst of everything I've tried so far.

Too early to write it off obviously. I want to like TOBS because I've just bought 4 tubes from B&H!

quattrojames said:
SaturdayEvening

Hot flannel
New Forest Superior 2201
Mitchells Wool Fat
Merkur 39C
Gillette Platinium (2)
Nivea ASB on face, Sensitive on neck.

Prior to trying the MWF I read so much on here about it and different techniques i was at information overload, and just needed to try! So i soaked the brush in warm water, and the whole block of MWF in lukewarm (really should get a bowl as it doesn't fit in the OS mug!) and then followed this and basically loaded the brush and did my left cheek, reloaded and did the right, then reloaded and did my chin and neck, and mixed the lather on the face. It worked pretty well, I got a reasonable lather for my first attempt, although I did find it dried out on my face before I could finish the pass......

The slant continued to impress, very close on my face and acceptable for the two light passes I did on my neck.
Hi James!

Gosh! what a mis-leading statement for an experienced wet shaver to make in that blog!!! YOU CAN MAKE VERY GOOD LATHER IN A BOWL, (or mug,I should think) - FROM SOAP! I know, I went back to MWF after quite an absence, and whipped up the best lather I have ever had from it, in a new soap bowl I have just purchased! I agree about using lots of product, you just do NOT shake the brush out, I was using a Duke 3 B/B, and you swirl your brush on the soap several times, and work it well in to the bowl for at LEAST 2 MINUTES!!! I cover the surface of my MWF with warm water prior to use like you do, then pour it away just before using it. I live in Bristol, and that's a hard, hard, water area, so as far as I am concerned, that should NOT be part of a lathering problem, at least not with MWF. Incidentally, I had to add more water as I was going along but eventually got the great lather we all hear about from other MWF users. Best of luck James,

spandex.. :D

After 2 weeks of harsh water shaves in Cyprus, (they tell you it's nice and fresh :? but then again they openly lie about the weather, if it's reported to be any hotter than 36c then they have to close all workplaces. Our thermometer reported it an average of about 38c and topped 42c one day) I am back to the lovely fresh soft water of Scotland so...

Sunday

Futur
Gillette Super Thin Thai (2 I think)
No Name Badger Brush
Tabac
Thayers Medicated Superhazel
Old Spice Fresh Lime

As close to perfect as I've been. Swathes of warm, rich, slick lather. 2 pass DFS topped off with a healthy dose of OS Fresh Lime. It's good (well not really) to be back.

spandexcodpiece said:
I really like this picture Slow. I probably would have put the brush upright, but it's a nice piece of artwork mate! :D

Thanks spandexcodpiece. The true story is that I get a very bad pic and I edited (like a camouflage). Not problem, I work justin time. For your eyes: :lol:

Afeitado18-07-10001-1.jpg

Mikael said:
spandexcodpiece said:
Hi Mikael!

Hi Spandex! It´s very nice to use when it´s hot outside, but I would rate most AS:s higher as AS:s a "normal" day. If you have a little rough shave you´ll get punished in a very harsh way if you use Alcolado Glacial after :lol:

PS
Beejay used an "Ever ready" brush, you must have missed that.

Thanks for that Mikael. No, I didn't notice that Beejay stated what brush he was using...I also messed up on another post earlier on, reference the Isle of Man and it's status! ...I'm not having a very good day, so I think I'll just sign off and say goodnight to everyone still posting and surfing,

'Night all :)

spandexcodpiece said:
Hi James!

Gosh! what a mis-leading statement for an experienced wet shaver to make in that blog!!! YOU CAN MAKE VERY GOOD LATHER IN A BOWL, (or mug,I should think) - FROM SOAP! I know, I went back to MWF after quite an absence, and whipped up the best lather I have ever had from it, in a new soap bowl I have just purchased! I agree about using lots of product, you just do NOT shake the brush out, I was using a Duke 3 B/B, and you swirl your brush on the soap several times, and work it well in to the bowl for at LEAST 2 MINUTES!!! I cover the surface of my MWF with warm water prior to use like you do, then pour it away just before using it. I live in Bristol, and that's a hard, hard, water area, so as far as I am concerned, that should NOT be part of a lathering problem, at least not with MWF. Incidentally, I had to add more water as I was going along but eventually got the great lather we all hear about from other MWF users. Best of luck James,

spandex.. :D

Hi Spandex (?) lol

Thanks for your inputs, this is the first soap I've ever face lathered with. I normally (prefer to?) lather in my OS shaving mug and most things work really well like that, so I'll give that a go next time I think.

For the first time since I joined this forum I'm not shaving tonight :shock: I've a couple of ingrowing hairs in my neck I want to allow to grow put, and I'm at work from 3pm tomorrow so will be having a lunch time shave then.

I never thought I'd miss my daily shave! :lol:

I've never had the problems with MWF that others seem to have.

None of that "soaking it for 3 days" malarkey.

Damp brush, half a dozen swirls, then to the face. Badda-Bip. Badda-Boop. Job's a good 'un.

Sunday night

Bassler 5/8 Round point stainless steel
Gillette new, red personna for cleanup
Alum
Aquatonic AS

BBS, the straight part was again a bit better than before (slowly slowly catchy monkey) the clean up fantastic. My 1st experience of an OC razor is fantastic the downside is its only borrowed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom