Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 14th Aug 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twodogs,

You got almost the same gear as me, except you got a better brush! (and today I shaved with the rocket)
I'm sorta in the same boat, few nicks here and there, but as long as it doesn't require transfusion, all's fine, right? ;)

I think (and the experts will tell us newbies), that it's not so much your face getting used to DE shaving, but more, you getting the hang of it.
The fact that your face burned might suggest you're putting too much weight on the razor (which would explain some nicks), just let it slide, and re-lather for a second pass.

FB.

Blyth Spirit said:
hunnymonster said:
As "Lame Francaise" says... too much pressure - although I'll add another possibility: insufficient preparation - perhaps your lather wasn't all it could be in the protection stakes.

.......and you didn't even mention the Merkur blade HM. :lol:

Well your hardboard Merkur blades could indeed be a factor - but to be brutally honest I didn't notice it in the original post :oops:

DSC00079.JPG

4/8 Alexandria
Body Shop Maca Root cream
Kent H8
Avon Blue Rush a/s

Alrighty then. I'll try better prep, a different blade (bought a variety pack) and less pressure.

As far as the prep, I took a hot shower then lathered up with the palmolive cream. Would a pre-shave balm be something I might look into getting?

twodogs257 said:
Alrighty then. I'll try better prep, a different blade (bought a variety pack) and less pressure.

As far as the prep, I took a hot shower then lathered up with the palmolive cream. Would a pre-shave balm be something I might look into getting?

Relax, your blade is only one shave old, Merkur bades don't suit everyone but some swear by them - including me. Simply prepare well, good lather, and short light strokes WTG and XTG. Don't shave ATG yet.

This is a learning curve and the close smooth shaves will follow, trust me. Take your time, walk before you run but above all enjoy the shaves.

Blyth Spirit said:
twodogs257 said:

Relax, your blade is only one shave old, Merkur bades don't suit everyone but some swear by them - including me. Simply prepare well, good lather, and short light strokes WTG and XTG. Don't shave ATG yet.

This is a learning curve and the close smooth shaves will follow, trust me. Take your time, walk before you run but above all enjoy the shaves.

Will do!! Thanks Blyth!

twodogs257 said:
On the lather, don't make the same mistake I made, add v. little water. (the water in the brush is usually enough), you need quite a thick lather, makes it a lot easier.
If the lather is too runny/watery it won't lubricate enough.

FB.

Saturday Evening

Hot shower
Proraso Pre Shave Cream
New Forest Brush
MB Dublin Tweed
Supermax Stainless (2)
Gillette Fatboy (on 4)
Osma Alum
OS Lime AS

I've got such a selection of creams and soaps now I can choose a new one everyday (for probably a couple of weeks without duplicating!) which really keeps me interested. I thought the Dublin Tweed was a bit unremarkable for the first couple of uses, but it's come out a lot in the last few uses, and is really nice and subtle. Wound the Fatboy up from 2 to 4, and just two passes gave me a very close shave on my face. Two passes WTG again on my neck to help it calm down and help the ingrowns grow out.

Saturday

Merkur HD
Feather
Cella soap
Simpsons Commodore X1
Boots Distilled Witch Hazel
Simple for Men AS Balm
Cella cologne

Saturday shaves are always a hurried affair, with under an hour to get up, shower, shave, have breakfast and then pack to go out to get my daughter. I can always rely on a Merkur and a Feather to give me a quick, clean shave.
Simpsons brush is now much less manky-smelling - a few more days of breaking it in and it should smell lovely.

Saturday Evening

Merkur 34 HD + Gillette Thai
Fido Finest
Nanny's Exotic soap
Proraso splash

Apart from a coupla razor skips (under-hydrated lather, most likely), a decent shave.

Proraso splash is superb -- nice scent, cooling, and a great skin-conditioner. If you haven't already, try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom