Shave Of The Day W/C Saturday 07/05/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grieg's Music for string orchestra (Holberg Suite)

Shower, 3P pre-shave left on face
Nanny's Lime Silly Soap bowl lathered with Vulfix 404 mix
EJ 89, Gillette Platinum (1)
3 pass plus touch up, curse my awkward shaped face!

Many rinses decreasing in temperature, alum rub thrown in there somewhere

3P on wet face, nice menthol rush to clear the sinuses!

Since it looks like a decent day, Floid Vigoros will be splashed on all over.

Enjoy your weekends gents :cool:

Ainslie

Saturday
  • Gillette Fusion ProGlide
  • Simpson Tulip T2 (two band) Super
  • D R Harris Lavender shaving soap[/list:u]

Is nice, thank you please.

Well here goes with my themed S.O.T.D, My country of birth and land of my Fathers, 100% Welsh and Celt.

Feather Razor
Feather Blade
Simpsons Duke 3 Best
Mitchells Woolfat, come on what else could a Welshman use!
L'occitane Bavx balm
L'occitane Bavx EDT

celtic_art.jpg

Who were the Celts?

From around 750 BC to 12 BC, the Celts were the most powerful people in central and northern Europe. There were many groups (tribes) of Celts, speaking a vaguely common language.

The word Celt comes from the Greek word, Keltoi, which means barbarians and is properly pronounced as "Kelt".

Interesting fact

No-one called the people living in Britain during the Iron Age, Celts until the eighteenth century. In fact the Romans called these people Britons, not Celts. The name Celts is a 'modern' name and is used to collectively describe all the many tribes of people living during the Iron Age.

When did the Celts live in Europe?

The Iron Age Celts lived here 750 years before Jesus was born. The Iron Age ended in AD43 (43 years after Jesus was born) when the Romans invaded Britain.

Why are the Celts called Iron Age Celts?

The period of time in Britain immediately before the Roman period is known as the Iron Age. The name 'Iron Age' comes from the discovery of a new metal called iron. The Celts found out how to make iron tools and weapons.

Before the Iron Age the only metal used in Britain to make tools was bronze, which is an alloy of copper and tin (hence the Bronze Age).

Where did the Celts come from?

The Celts lived across most of Europe during the Iron Age.

Several hundred years before Julius Caesar, they occupied many parts of central and western Europe, especially what are now Austria, Switzerland, southern France and Spain. Over several years, in wave after wave, they spread outwards, taking over France and Belgium, and crossing to Britain.

Northwest Europe was dominated by three main Celtic groups:
•the Gauls
•the Britons
•the Gaels

Written accounts

People visiting Britain wrote of their impressions of the people and things they saw. Many of these reports are biased.

"Most of the inland inhabitants [of Britain] do not sow corn, but live on milk and flesh, and are clad with skins. All the Britons indeed, dye themselves with woad, which occasions a bluish colour, and thereby have a more terrible appearance in fight. They wear their hair long, and have every part of their body shaved except their head and upper lip. "
Julius Caesar (A Roman Emperor)

Much of what Caesar wrote about has since been proved wrong. First, we know that, early Britons did sow corn. Their ancestors had been farming for hundreds of years. Second, they weren't clad in skins. The Bronze Age introduced sewing implements that made it possible to tailor clothing. Third, not every Britain covered themselves in woad.

"They are very tall in stature, with rippling muscles under clear white skin. Their hair is blond, but not naturally so: they bleach it, to this day, artificially, washing it in lime and combing it back from their foreheads. They look like wood-demons, their hair thick and shaggy like a horse's mane. Some of them are clean-shaven, but others - especially those of high rank - shave their cheeks but leave a moustache that covers the whole mouth"
Diodorus Siculus (A

Dylan Thomas
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

I do like the Welsh national anthem, especially at the Millenium.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUnCwV3AYE[/youtube]

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest silvertip knot
Razor: C V Heljestrand frameback
Soap: La Toja
AS: Ogallala Lime & Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D
With one of our princesses, in a traditional landscape suit (we´re born in the same landscape).
folkdrakt_1195994220_4828473-1.jpg

I also felt I should show you the steorotype picture of Sweden:
svensk_sommaridyll.jpg

... and this one, but I don´t want to upset anyone :D
swedishgirls.jpg

Shower
No music or radio just the gentle sound of rain outside.....

EJ DE89
Feather (5) - dare I try it for a 6th use tomorrow?????
W/S Brush
Nannys Yushu Soap
One Planet Balm
GFT Eau De Quinine

Two passes and a thorough third touch up pass. Head shave aswell. Very Nice. The Quinine is very sweet smelling thought it would be a bit more bitter. Talking of bitter, off for a few real ales and some football.

Have a good weekend guys.

Gillette red tip loaded with a derby, wich was too dull, switched to a dorco 301 halfway the first pass. Gave me a BBS, some weepers and irritation in my neck :(
Exit the dorco I suppose.

Nice and simple today as I have work shortly and didnt want blood streaming down my face ;)

Provence Sante Soap, because I can :roll:
Kropp Straight for main/first pass
Gillette SS with Gillette Nacet Blade for tidy up, its at #6 and really finishes off after the Kropp perfect
RSC Balm and Aqua Velva AS

All went very well dispite the phone call from my dad (He had his first wet shave today with some bits of mine) and the kids constantly asking questions.
A very smooth finish except one small patch on my neck line I have just found whilst typing. :D

Saturday, 7.May.2011

Pre: Emulsión Myrsol
Vulfix 404 "The Grosvenor" boar & badger
D. R. Harris Arlington shaving soap
Mühle R89
Bluebird
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Emulsión Myrsol

P1030766.jpg

No time for photos today, here's one from the last week.
The Arlington soap is amazing! As for the Bluebird blades, they seem sharp and smooth, but I've got to try them a little bit more.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there" (L.P. Hartley).

So, ye olde English shave today:

SOTD070511_3.jpg

Old razor; old travel brush (rejuvenated by Neo); Mitchell's Wool Fat soap - original 1893 formula; witch hazel; DR Harris Marlborough cologne.

The background is two pages from an old seven volume ethnographic encyclopaedia, c.1920. Being as how the photos are from Worcestershire, I don't suppose much has changed. ;)

Saturday

NF 2211
Provence Sante
Muhle R41 + red IP (2)
Alum
Natural Limes A/S
Natural Limes Balm

3 passes + touch ups. smooth and irritation free.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1959 Fatboy/Lion
Surrey SS (pre VDH reforumlation tallow version)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Caron 'Yatagan' EdT (original 1970s version)

Picked up another Fatboy recently and gave it a try this morning. Very good performer, just like it should be. I could easily make this one my daily shaver if needed.

Third shave with this Lion blade and damn.......this thing's quite good. I'm glad I was introduced to that brand.

BBS results,

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom