Shave of the day W/C Sat 18 Jun 11

Feather AS-D1
Feather Blade
Vulfix Persian Musk
Alum Block
St James Cedarwood & Clarysage Cologne
St James Mandarin & Patchouli gel balm

Talk about form and function, this Feather razor is without equal, I love it, a typical shitty rainy staturday morning mid june in Wales, :( Why wasn't I born in Monaco :) I know I would do a better job than prince Albert ;) Anyway as far as the shave goes, they are always very good without complaint, I would also like to say what a great little brush the New Forest Tubby 1 as turned out to be, so a pat on the back for Peter well done.

Jamie.

0032.jpg

Saturday

In Shower
Gillette Slim Twist + Wilkinson Sword blade
Gillette fusion gel
Alum
Jovan Musk

Used a can of gel this morning, not as good as proper soap and a brush but not bad either. A DFS

Saturday morning
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Chubby 3
Razor: Ari-ya, my lovely japanese ant-arrow blade
Superlather: Henks Dutch Moss + Top Secret
AS: Lucky Tiger and Lacoste Challange
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very nice and clean shave :D
Ahh. this was a nice one, best in a long while. This superlather combo was perfect, the blade is wonderful and the brush is out of this world nice! :D
014800x729.jpg

Yesterdays shave was lousy and I didn´t want to write about it ;-), but the blade is nice, so she gets an appearance (custom made scales by Neil, with MOP inlays):
019800x6002.jpg

Saturday

Merkur 34c
Shark SS
Semogue 2015
Proraso
Thayers Superhazel
Vifrex AS Gel

IMAG0009.jpg

Got the Vifrex from connaught. I had a barber shave in Italy and this is what the guy used post shave. Gel consistency however has some alcohol in it too so works just like an as splash. Strange for the Shark though, this was the first duffer I've had out of maybe about 20-30 blades or so. Nevermind, was sensible enough to stop at "close enough"

Saturday, late late morning shave:

Stage three in the Super Thin Experiment.
Back to the Gillette Slim Adjustable, second shave with the Super Thin in this razor, now set at 4.
In the interests of science, and my curiosity, all other factors have been kept the same.
Nanny's Lime Silly Soap, took a dod (that's a Scottish term for a dollop) and put it in the bowl for easier lathering.
Vulfix Bodger 404 (easy choice here, it's that or no brush as I only have the one)

Wtg, Wtg, Atg. Touchups under the jaw.
Alum (needed it for a couple of wee weepers, and also as I hadn't used it for a few shaves to see if that reduced a touch of irritation I had been experiencing.
Bulldog Sensitive Balm with tea tree and hello Vera.

Good enough for a weekend!
I am wondering now if I should mebbe leave the Slim set at 4 for the next but one shave (after Step 4 in the experiment, which is a shave with the EJ89 and it's ammo of a Super Thin) or risk going for the five.

Any roads, good shave, having a lovely relaxing Saturday. Have a nice one yourselves guys.

Ainslie

Shower
Loccitane Face Scrub
NF two band
Provence Sante Soap
Slim Adjustable
Feather
Loccitane ASB

Was going through my blade stash and decided on the feather been a while since i used one.
Great shave but it always is on the first shave with the feather

Saturday, 06-18-11. MUSIC: Steely Dan_LP_Aja (1977).

dj.qbsqxhcz.170x170-75.jpg

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Rooney 1/3 silvertip - Gillette Fat Boy - Polsilver #2 - Pre Myrsol emulsión - Wilkinson stick - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB La Chinata Olive Oil - ASL Myrsol Antesol.

Afeitado18-06-11-1.jpg

Muhle R41/ Yellow 7 O'Clock (3)
HL Thater #2
Speik
GFT Coral Skin Food

The Speik stick lather was as excellent as yesterday, can see myself using this soap for an extended run. The Thater is a new brush, and couldn't be more impressed with its quality.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1969 SH Super Adjustable/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS (liking this stuff more and more)
Knize 'Sec' EdP

I've had this razor maybe four years now and never tried it till this morning. There were similar others I did sample years ago, but this one was in just too gooda shape to get wet. Well, today I figured what the hell, and took her for a waltz around my face.

Interesting shave using one of these again after so long. Felt more head heavy than I remembered it being (a good thing), and the little longer handle felt good in my hand. Even though these weigh about the same as a Slim, this razor seems a little chunkier for some reason (another good thing).

Heh, the shave's the same as I recall..........a very good, but not perfect fit. Yep, the head profile on a Slim and Super just doesn't quite match up when compared to a Fatboy. It's why I put those other models away so long ago and made the Fatboy/Executive my go to razor.

Still, it was a nice slice of nostalgia and I'll use it again tomorrow. From there i believe it will go back to the arsenal for a loooong nap after getting in the water.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Short handle Super P3 006 (Small).jpg
    Short handle Super P3 006 (Small).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 34
Hot towel prep
Resyke Brush
Wilkinson Sword Blade (c1960's)
Gillette Popular (1939 vintage)
Mdc soap
GFT Sandalwood Skin Food
1st time using the razor, soap and blade. Now I think I know why Mdc soap is so popular, easy to lather, good slip and protection espescialy as I was using a new O/C razor to me.
Results, no redness, nicks or cuts. Nice comfortable close shave.
Great razor, nice balance and not to mild/agressive........... :shave :D :D

Back
Top Bottom