Shave of the day, Saturday 8th- Friday 14th April 2017

SOTD_20170409-1024x638.png

• Safety Razor: iKon - #101 OSS
  • Blade: Voskhod
  • Shaving Brush: Simpsons - Chubby 2 (Best Badger)
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica - Beta 4.3
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica - Balm

Today I tried the 4.3 SV Felce Aromatica.

Before shaving, the smell of the 4.0 and 4.3 seem a lot alike, where the 4.3 now delivers a somewhat stronger flavor for me, but it may be that at the time I bought the 4.0 that was already in the store for a while, loosing its scent somewhat.

Before showering I put the soap in the tin + brush under warm water.
After showering I poured the bloom water on the Simpsons and loaded the brush - such as suggested by SV. The aroma released during working up the lather is like the consistency much creamier than the 4.0 in my opinion.

The Ikon also equally immersed in warm water, the Chubby applied the lather to the face at a rapid pace. With the Ikon, I used the open comb for the cheeks and used the closed comb for my neck. I noticed immediately that the 4.3 applies a thicker cushion between the blade and the skin that felt very nice.

After 3 courses I was nice and smooth, after which I finished with the matching SV ASB.

SOTD_20170409-1024x638.png

• Safety Razor: iKon - #101 OSS
  • Blade: Voskhod
  • Shaving Brush: Simpsons - Chubby 2 (Best Badger)
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica - Beta 4.3
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica - Balm

Today I tried the 4.3 SV Felce Aromatica.

Before shaving, the smell of the 4.0 and 4.3 seem a lot alike, where the 4.3 now delivers a somewhat stronger flavor for me, but it may be that at the time I bought the 4.0 that was already in the store for a while, loosing its scent somewhat.

Before showering I put the soap in the tin + brush under warm water.
After showering I poured the bloom water on the Simpsons and loaded the brush - such as suggested by SV. The aroma released during working up the lather is like the consistency much creamier than the 4.0 in my opinion.

The Ikon also equally immersed in warm water, the Chubby applied the lather to the face at a rapid pace. With the Ikon, I used the open comb for the cheeks and used the closed comb for my neck. I noticed immediately that the 4.3 applies a thicker cushion between the blade and the skin that felt very nice.

After 3 courses I was nice and smooth, after which I finished with the matching SV ASB.

Great write up and photo. Can't wait to use the soap.

Jabonman Citrus/vetiver
Brad Sears Gonzo/ Envyshave '8 ball'
ATT M1 Kronos
Personna lab blue #1
Fine Fresh Vetiver

Had to switch brushes as the Gonzo was producing a useless lather that dissipated after six minutes of face lathering [emoji22] so switched to 8 ball no problem [emoji3] Finished off nicely with the Vetiver.

Sunday 9th April 2017
sotd 9th april.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso white
Razor: Schick Adjustable (4)
Blade: Schick Twin (NOS made in Holland) (#1)
Brush: Plisson Pure Badger
Cream: La Toja
AS: La Toja lotion

First shave with a twin blade in the Schick adjustable, while it was a success, I made two mistakes. First mistake, setting the razor to 4 it was so smooth I am sure that using the Schick on it's highest setting might have been better. Second mistake, I squeezed too much cream out of the tube but thought I may as well use it, the Plisson brush is a great little brush and is good with creams but I think I overwhelmed it. The lather was sticking to my face like glue and it was also clogging up the twin blade as I never managed to get enough water into before starting. Despite all of this the end result was great, so I have high hopes for the next shave with the twin blade.

The 1913 Mark Cross deserves a thread of its own which I will get to shortly. For now let's say with either an injector (I used a trimmed Feather Pro), or a snapped and shimmed DE blade this is a wonderful shaver. Unlike the Christy (or a Schick Repeater for that matter) there's no hint of blade float, the razor has sufficient heft and nice balance, and the triple plated silver shines on like a crazy diamond. The best 25 cent razor ever made ladies and gentlemen.
e8a172b5209342464acb7867d51b12a3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

14wxg85.jpg

Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 Silvertip
Razor: Gibbs Adjustable No 17 w/ Unbranded Blade (2)
Soap: Pannacrema Nuavia Verde

My goodness I have unlocked this soap. Fantastic performance and the post shave feel was second to none. All I did differently was put a bit more water on it to bloom, used the bloom water as a pre shave and used it as normal. Dolphin smooth all over and the post feel was tremendous, I didn't use any post at all. Just rinsed and padded dry. It felt amazing.

The Gibbs is the only razor I can safely go ATG on my neck with, before popping out a few hours later I put a few squirts of Al Rehab Sultan, lovely fragrance.

Prep: Hot shower and L'Oreal charcoal face wash
Razor: The General
Razor blade: Feather 'Super'
Brush: shavemac snowman

Back to The General after the loan period of the Timeless from @Lann
I was really looking forward to using the General but it was short lived.
Tried the Super blade for the first time, which was supplied by @Looney12345 (thank you sir).

Unfortunately it wasn't a married made in heaven, very tuggy and rough.
I needed four passes and touch ups. I was left with a little redness on my top lip.
One last thing to to note. When I disassemble the razor I found a lot of gunk (soap and stubble) on the razor blade, something I haven't seen with previous blades.

Finishing on a positive note. The Myrsol Antesol aftershave was very good. I haven't used it for nearly a year......"every cloud, every cloud.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Cheers
Rob

@Fergiebilly @mpf9ret Tried a twin blade and so far so good, played it safe using the razor on 4 but suspect the twin blade needs full throttle as it were. Next shave twin blade with razor set on highest setting.
I Found No 7 the Optimal Setting with Twins..Number 8 it Starts to Loose Efficacy..For Me Anyway..:)

Billy

Schick I 2 injector razor
NOS Schick Plus Platinum blade (#1)
P&B Spitfire soap
Maggard 22mm black synthetic brush
Parfum Bleu English Blazer original AS

I thought in the past that perhaps the U.S. made one was smoother than the Euro version. Now I am more inclined to think they are the exact same blade made to the same specs.

Back
Top Bottom