Shave of the day Saturday 22nd - Friday 28th July 2017

SOTD: 25/07/2017

Prep: warm shower
Razor: Gillette Guard 4th use
Brush: Old Vulfix 660s Super Badger
Cream: Old Vulfix Persian Musk
Post-shave: warm water, cold water, Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber & Aloe Vera, Bodyshop White Musk aftershave balm

I've been looking for a great single blade disposable for my travel kit. The Gillette Guard has really impressed me so it's now my travel razor. :)

View attachment 27432
It's a very capable razor. I'm finding a single cart is going to last me the whole 2 weeks so the 7 pack is going to last a fair few years holidays.

Pre: Neutrogena Original Formula Facial Bar
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat #21
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Soap: NSS 'Soapy' Olive Oil Formula
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic

895b58ae12ba9515936f057d90620ee2.jpg

An absolutely top notch shave this morning. Near BBS in 2 passes. Razor and blade combination works a treat and the Nannies soap really kicks into touch the theory that all olive oil based soaps are poor. It lathers easily, very good cushion and glide and the post shave is really up there. Huge shame it's discontinued.

Wednesday am

Olive Oil soap and 3P preshave cream
Palmolive Classic cream
Omega 10065 Brush
ES Claymore V2 on a Windrose P2 Handle
Proline-P (#6)
Alum block and rinse
Homemade Buttermix
Lynx Oud Wood and Dark Vanilla

First shave since Sunday. It was good to feel clean shaven again. Two passes and a touchup for a fantastic BBS shave! I found the Lynx to be a little heavy with the vanilla but pleasant nonetheless.

It's a very capable razor. I'm finding a single cart is going to last me the whole 2 weeks so the 7 pack is going to last a fair few years holidays.

My current travel razor is a Gillette Tech. Mild and smooth. Nice! :) However, I can't be bothered anymore cleaning the razor after the shave. So I wondered if there was a great one blade disposable for convenience when travelling. I knew the Gillette Guard is on sale in India. Thought about it then saw a UK seller on the bay. £5 including P&P. I had promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore shaving hard wear. :rolleyes: However, at £5 nothing to lose I thought to myself. So glad I did. :D

Soap: Oleo Soapworks Montrose Beach

I can only assume there is another Montrose beach somewhere else in the world
[QUOTE="Digimonkey,

Well yes, there's another Montrose beach which is near the fishing pier I spent hundreds of hours on as a kid. Chicago street numbering going north and south start downtown at 0 hundred which is State Street and Montrose Avenue is 4400 north, which is about 44 city blocks from zero. The Golden Cue pool hall's on that street but way west of the lake, having spent time there later in life.

Turns out this soap's made in Chicago so I know that scent real well if it's a faithful recreation. Brackish freshwater thing going on with a hint of sea creatures. High humidity with the temp in the hi 70s even at that hour.

Usta go perch fishing with my uncle during the summer....leave the house about midnight, stop at the bait shop, and head to Montrose harbor and the pier. Hadda get there early for a good spot when they started biting around daybreak. Heh, I saw my first dead guy there after a failed attempt on his part to swim the harbor. Frogmen snagged him in the morning.

Lake Michigan is extremely dangerous at times. Besides rip currents or other kinds of current/undertow, there's the rare seiche. There was one in 1954 that killed a bunch of people on the pier. Mainly though it's the sudden wind change from the north that really gets things riled up.

Whew, enough blabbing,

Martin[/QUOTE]

Well yes, there's another Montrose beach which is near the fishing pier I spent hundreds of hours on as a kid. Chicago street numbering going north and south start downtown at 0 hundred which is State Street and Montrose Avenue is 4400 north, which is about 44 city blocks from zero. The Golden Cue pool hall's on that street but way west of the lake, having spent time there later in life.

Turns out this soap's made in Chicago so I know that scent real well if it's a faithful recreation. Brackish freshwater thing going on with a hint of sea creatures. High humidity with the temp in the hi 70s even at that hour.

Usta go perch fishing with my uncle during the summer....leave the house about midnight, stop at the bait shop, and head to Montrose harbor and the pier. Hadda get there early for a good spot when they started biting around daybreak. Heh, I saw my first dead guy there after a failed attempt on his part to swim the harbor. Frogmen snagged him in the morning.

Lake Michigan is extremely dangerous at times. Besides rip currents or other kinds of current/undertow, there's the rare seiche. There was one in 1954 that killed a bunch of people on the pier. Mainly though it's the sudden wind change from the north that really gets things riled up.

Whew, enough blabbing,

Martin
[/QUOTE]
On that cheery note I'm off to bed. :)

SOTD 25JUL17.JPG
Razor: Wolfman Guerrilla
Blade: PermaSharp Super (1)
Soap: Grooming Dept. Lime
Brush: Wolf Whiskers 'Tyrion' 25 mm BW

My first go with the Guerrilla; I thought it was an extremely smooth razor. I did notice that the ATG pass on my neck wasn't as efficient as I had to go over that area a few extra times. The handle looks slippery but it has mad grip, even with soapy hands. I like it after my first shave; will have to get used to the ATG pass on the neck area...with time, it will get better.

Doug - I have been intrigued by the soap you have been using recently - specifically the name. I can only assume there is another Montrose beach somewhere else in the world - somewhere warmer - not the the one on the east coast of Scotland? Nice as it is - I've been there and I don't remember palm trees or azure waves. Ha ha. - yours - I.
I'm sure there are a few Montrose Beaches. I suspect there is one in California also. It's a very good shave soap.

image.jpg ~SOTD~ 27th July Thursday

Prep....Shower~ MWF soap
Razor....Ever-Ready 1912 Made in England
Blade....Pal Super, carbon
Soap....La Savonniere du Moulin
Bowl....Little Wren pottery
Brush....Semouge OC Badger
Post....BBA PS Balm, Jojoba oil
Scent....Molecule 01 ISO E Super

The shaving Gods guided my hands and I picked out the perfect tools for a perfect shave, and so it was......a perfect shave was had.

So, smooth faced and smelling fantastic I wish you all a fabulous day. :)

Last edited:
I'm afraid the Guerrilla only comes wrapped in tissue paper and bubble wrap in a card box with no labeling. Very minimal.
Ha, yeah I know Rob, I was just pulling Wayne's leg after he said it does everything it says on the tin! It went over everyone's head so the joke was on me ! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom