September Acquisitions

I found a couple of nice vintage bakelite shaving bowls on eBay:

ADCreHdC2wgQ70O_DW6Ci_NsfgCbM4SUsTTIoGkpTxRfxIjne86GxGIfXXvsqqerkbJ1vLanXZdZacbp9tYcjf-g-3Db7DmzSJHng3BMzfQS7HO7CD1oyi9v5PnRXXI0loOk3hxEhuRXP5wv8YngtlnGosoDgw=w800

They're the same style as the vintage Rolls Razor bowl:

ADCreHcv88hvzTu6fHNdbId_vRn4PrE_hxgLWj2xU0OPOC85xoebLZcGaj36gBTYI_5DZcRA35HVyp7h17bE__Jp6n7Bmq_5uitGxpabE96mCQObYJg0hnFPOf9YxGxtq4GQdtRwNBQUit4MJNHhgQZMuYttZw=w800

Now, which soaps should go in them?

I have two of these already but don't see them often, and I've never seen one shrink-wrapped with the outer card box.

I probably have enough to actually use one now but they're all in such good nick (for something from the 1950s) it still seems a shame to.

View attachment 111761
Hey buddy,

Glad to see you're still riding the crazy train! Them there soaps look real purty and I do wonder what the scent is like and if any's remaining. Hehe, I've got a ticket for unlimited rides myself.....sheesh.

Here's something I received yesterday that I'm excited to try. I've used the regular Aramis shaving soap before and it smelled good but was best as a bath soap since the performance was just fair. However, this is the JHL scented tallow version so I'm expecting good things. Still plenty of fragrance left so we will see how that puck works out.

Martin

Attachments

• 20230930_044553.jpg
    20230930_044553.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230929_163001.jpg
    20230929_163001.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230929_162701.jpg
    20230929_162701.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230929_162443.jpg
    20230929_162443.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230929_162301.jpg
    20230929_162301.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 6
Hey buddy,

Glad to see you're still riding the crazy train! Them there soaps look real purty and I do wonder what the scent is like and if any's remaining. Hehe, I've got a ticket for unlimited rides myself.....sheesh.

Here's something I received yesterday that I'm excited to try. I've used the regular Aramis shaving soap before and it smelled good but was best as a bath soap since the performance was just fair. However, this is the JHL scented tallow version so I'm expecting good things. Still plenty of fragrance left so we will see how that puck works out.

Martin
I'd like to see how you get on with that version. Nice you have two so you can keep one unopened while you work your way through that one.

I still occasionally break out that Ralph Lauren Safari shave soap you sold me some years back. Great performance and scent. I'm sure at the time you told me it may have been owned by Neil Armstrong at one time... :-D

The three Chubby soaps in my earlier post do still have some scent in them. The wrapped one has the least scent (I guess as there has been no air seal over the whole thing unlike the other two lidded versions).
Interestingly the patent pending number on the underside of the Chubby was first applied for in 1945 so the design of the shaving stick holder is a bit older than I expected. The formatting of the patent number has the last two digits separated by a stroke (slash) symbol which I guess is a big clue.

I've seen these particular soaps in adverts dated to the early fifties but no way of knowing exactly how old mine are (I do love the name 'Chubby' though. So out of step with what a big company would call such a product these days!)
PXL_20230929_100652687.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to see how you get on with that version. Nice you have two so you can keep one unopened while you work your way through that one.

I still occasionally break out that Ralph Lauren Safari shave soap you sold me some years back. Great performance and scent. I'm sure at the time you told me it may have been owned by Neil Armstrong at one time... :-D

Yes, I believe Mr. Armstrong used that particular puck to shave with while in space! You're right about the RL scent and performance and I prefer it to the vintage AOS sandalwood soap. Too much clay scent in the AOS.

Tried the Aramis this morning and it's excellent. Performs like vintage Old Spice which is a relief. Not as much scent when lathered but them's the breaks and I'm happy to have acquired these little gems.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom