Rex Ambassador vs Rex Konsul

I’m just curious about what if any adjustable could tick that box. I’m hoping there isn’t an answer as that may mean I may have to consider it!

A question for those far more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

I have the Ambassador and really like it. Also a slim and super adjustable and really like those.

I’ve mentioned previously that slants aren’t for me. But I note the comment here that someone likes the Konsul but would have preferred it if it wasn’t a slant. Would that not make it an Ambassador then?

I’m wondering what adjustable razor could tick that box if there is one. Or whether a manufacturer like Rex or whoever could create something.

Best,

Ben
I can answer that, it’s blade feel. Ambassador for some (including me) felt aggressive on any setting due to blade exposure. The Konsul has more of a neutral blade exposure but retains its efficiency (in my experience anyway).

As for slant, apparently it’s the way the hair is cut, I’m a skeptic with that personally, think it would be the same if it wasn’t slanted but they wanted another thing to make it different from the ambassador.

Much of what @jphelan81 says in his last post applies to me. I have no problems with the Ambassador, although I find it works best on the lower settings, but with a sharp blade. The Konsul, which I'm using at the moment with a Rapira, shaves very smoothly and efficiently, and I think the slant (of which I have several other non-adjustable models) does make a difference.

I usually shave daily, but missed a couple before the first day with the Konsul, and there are few razors, other than R41 and new adjustables at high settings (excluding the Muramasa, which is a pussycat even at High 5), which can give me a decent, clean shave in one pass and a touch up, which this one did. If only for the efficiency, I like it better than the Ambassador, but it has that extra smoothness as well, which puts it firmly ahead.

I have not tried the Konsul but have at various times tried most of the Rex lineup.

Due to the positive blade exposure I found them all very uncomfortable to shave with, especially when going ATG.

Wish they would release a standard solid bar adjustable with neutral blade exposure and the same handle as the Ambassador, I am sure it would be popular!

I have not tried the Konsul but have at various times tried most of the Rex lineup.

Due to the positive blade exposure I found them all very uncomfortable to shave with, especially when going ATG.

Wish they would release a standard solid bar adjustable with neutral blade exposure and the same handle as the Ambassador, I am sure it would be popular!
I think the Konsul is what you're looking for. Don't let the slant aspect put you off. Have you tried a slant before?

Another option is the Taiga adjustable - I can't comment on that razor though as I've never tried it.

I think the Konsul is what you're looking for. Don't let the slant aspect put you off. Have you tried a slant before?

Another option is the Taiga adjustable - I can't comment on that razor though as I've never tried it.
Never tried a slant, sorry but I don't really like their design compared to a regular solid bar safety razor.

20221023_074752.jpg

Started at setting #3.5 today for the first pass and then moved to #4 for the second pass.

I've had 7 shaves with the Konsul. The weight has been normalised and I find it easy to handle and move around. The handle pattern, whilst not as strong as the Ambassador, provides plenty of grip. It hasn't slipped once in all the uses I've had with the razor.

For me, the razor works best on the mid-upper settings whilst holding a steep angle. I can now pick this razor up and know I'm going to get a good shave from it. It's a beautiful looking piece of kit. That said, it's not pushed its way to the top of my pack. That's important as I had high expectations for this razor - much higher than any other I've purchased. That's my fault, I know, but it plays an important part in the decision I've come to. Even if this razor was to keep getting better, the early feeling of being underwhelmed will always be there. With Christmas coming, I'm better releasing the funds from this razor towards that as I can think of other razors I'd likely choose to use before this one. Heading to the BST soon.

I'd also like to say thank you to @jphelan81 for giving me the opportunity to own this razor at a great price - a price I'll honour on the BST.

Since I'm selling the razor, my honest opinion above will simply not do. For those of you that skim to the end of my ramblings and are considering the Konsul, mine in particular, this is for you - This razor is simply the best ever produced. Own this and you will have reached shaving nirvana. Don't let this one escape you - FOMO will forever blight your lives should this offer slip from your grasp!!

Back
Top Bottom