Rex Ambassador vs Rex Konsul

View attachment 94997

Started with a shallow angle today - "riding the cap". This proved useless in the first few strokes so I returned to the steep angle with much better effect.

2 passes for a nice finish. 4 shaves in and I've found my stride with this razor now. Time to mix it up with some different blades.
You’re correct in your assessment of riding the cap, totally useless. I think you will enjoy this more when you crack the setting up a bit.

20221019_192315.jpg

A fresh London Bridge (MIC) blade loaded. Those of you familiar with these blades will know that they're seethingly sharp. It worked very well in this razor and the Yulin provided a very slick lather following a bit of work to get it going.

I felt no drag during this shave. Bravely wound the razor setting up and managed to cut my neck again.

This is a nice razor. Ignoring the cut, I feel like I know how it works now. That said, I'm not as enamored with it as I thought I'd be. Let's see how the next couple of shaves play out.

View attachment 95072

A fresh London Bridge (MIC) blade loaded. Those of you familiar with these blades will know that they're seethingly sharp. It worked very well in this razor and the Yulin provided a very slick lather following a bit of work to get it going.

I felt no drag during this shave. Bravely wound the razor setting up and managed to cut my neck again.

This is a nice razor. Ignoring the cut, I feel like I know how it works now. That said, I'm not as enamored with it as I thought I'd be. Let's see how the next couple of shaves play out.
Interesting thread. Do you prefer the Ambassador over the Konsul? I’d be surprised if this was the case.

20221021_143348.jpg

Well, that's annoying.

I had been giving some thought to the Konsul since the last shave and thought I'd move it on before it depreciates massively like many other razors. Today was the last shave.

The shave was fantastic. Started on setting #3 and then wound it up to #3.5. Zero drag, super smooth and an excellent finish. How annoying! I'm now in the fence. If it performs like this again on the next shave, I'll keep it.

move it on before it depreciates massively like many other razors
Please would you elaborate on this for me? I assume you're talking about your personal razor depreciating, rather than the Konsul model? How would the depreciation curve work here? Actually, as I type I'm thinking that you're talking about Konsuls becoming cheaper. Now I'm confused :unsure:

I'm intrigued because I've considered buying a Konsul.

Please would you elaborate on this for me? I assume you're talking about your personal razor depreciating, rather than the Konsul model? How would the depreciation curve work here? Actually, as I type I'm thinking that you're talking about Konsuls becoming cheaper. Now I'm confused :unsure:

I'm intrigued because I've considered buying a Konsul.
The second hand price of razors has taken a hit over the last couple of years as more and more new models come to the market.

The Konsul is still relatively new and relatively scarce in the UK so I should be able to break roughly even if I sell it. Give it 18 months and it will be a different story - a good time to be a buyer though.

The second hand price of razors has taken a hit over the last couple of years as more and more new models come to the market.

The Konsul is still relatively new and relatively scarce in the UK so I should be able to break roughly even if I sell it. Give it 18 months and it will be a different story - a good time to be a buyer though.
Thank you Boycie

What's it like for you reading this thread? It was your Konsul, right?
It was indeed. Lovely razor, apart from not being able to trim the sides due to wonky blade I found it easy to use and very smooth and efficient. For me was definitely better on higher settings. I just ended up not needing the adjustability, and prefer the other 2 non adjustable I have more so was an expense in my head I couldn’t justify. It’s the best adjustable I’ve tried however, but I would have preferred it not be a slant.

A question for those far more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

I have the Ambassador and really like it. Also a slim and super adjustable and really like those.

I’ve mentioned previously that slants aren’t for me. But I note the comment here that someone likes the Konsul but would have preferred it if it wasn’t a slant. Would that not make it an Ambassador then?

I’m wondering what adjustable razor could tick that box if there is one. Or whether a manufacturer like Rex or whoever could create something.

Best,

Ben

A question for those far more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

I have the Ambassador and really like it. Also a slim and super adjustable and really like those.

I’ve mentioned previously that slants aren’t for me. But I note the comment here that someone likes the Konsul but would have preferred it if it wasn’t a slant. Would that not make it an Ambassador then?

I’m wondering what adjustable razor could tick that box if there is one. Or whether a manufacturer like Rex or whoever could create something.

Best,

Ben
I believe the Konsul was deliberately made to be less aggressive than the Ambassador. Maybe that's the biggest difference aside from the slant thing.

Back
Top Bottom