Rex Ambassador vs Rex Konsul

All jokes aside, this purported "suction" is most likely caused by taking strokes longer than ideal IMO. I have never noticed it with any razor, but I have sometimes wondered if a soap was too slick and and the razor head was "hydroplaning" in a matter of speaking. I am certain there is complicated science behind this re fluid dynamics, friction coefficients, etc., but to venture down that path is...

The coefficient of friction (fr) is a number that is the ratio of the resistive force of friction (Fr) divided by the normal or perpendicular force (N) pushing the objects together. It is represented by the equation: fr = Fr/N.

Have at it, boys!! ;)

:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Long strokes are natural for some of us....

A Home 15S pass around over the road had some serious problems with drag/suction. The designer (Andrew) looked in to it and determined the following:

I'll be honest, I didn't read it all but it looks right with all the arrows and shit.

The one Razor I did notice drag with was a Blackland dart , I did put it down to the contact area seeming wider at my natural angle , I tried shaving more towards the safety bar but that just made it seem rough to me. I do tend to shave with quite long strokes so that could well of be the reason some people love the Dart and some don't. Now I want to try one with shorter strokes :)

Is the Konsul slanted Chris or is it just my dodgy eyes.

The one Razor I did notice drag with was a Blackland dart , I did put it down to the contact area seeming wider at my natural angle , I tried shaving more towards the safety bar but that just made it seem rough to me. I do tend to shave with quite long strokes so that could well of be the reason some people love the Dart and some don't. Now I want to try one with shorter strokes :)

It is slanted. The only slanted adjustable?

It is indeed Russ. Razor Emporium's new adjustable slant.

Although I’m watching this thread with interest I don’t think I’ll be investing in a Konsul. I really like my Ambassador and also have a Slim and Super Adjustable.

So I think I’m sorted on adjustables. And I never seem to get on with slant type razors. Most likely user error than the fault of the razor.

Obviously never say never, as I’ve said that a few times with razors, soaps etc. The only thing I can safely say is no more brushes!

Best,

Ben

Personally, I like the Konsul a tad more than the Ambassador. It's a smoother shave, and seems rather more effective.

I bought my Ambassador in February 2019, so it's over three and a half years old. It isn't used every day, but it has had a reasonable amount of use over time. Coincidentally, I've had a three day session with it quite recently, and was somewhat brassed off to see that some of the numbers have rubbed off in places. As I don't touch this area of the razor, this is not wear from handling.

I don't know what particular technique is used to apply them (etching, some sort of special printing?), but I really do wish that they were engraved or stamped in, as is done with vintage razors, the Merkur Progress and the Pearl, where the numbers are readily detectable as lightly engraved. I hope that this doesn't happen to the Konsul, but the numbers are applied in the same way.

This isn't something that I shall get too upset about, as a razor is just a tool for shaving, and tools tend to wear with use. It's just a shame that my Ambassador is wearing in this way, as a major requirement of any indexed adjustable is to have a clear and durable set of numbers or indices.

The one Razor I did notice drag with was a Blackland dart
I had never experienced this complaint until I tried the ATT Windsor Pro alu recently - horrible, draggy and bitey. I couldn't shave for four days until my face calmed down. I note what @Bogeyman comments above but given that I picked it up after having successfully shaved with the model that the Pro is an upgrade of hundreds of times, I think it unlikely that I suddenly changed my technique. Nobody was more disappointed than me - on paper it ought to have been a given as the perfect daily razor for me - it wasn't. Turned out that the Karve Overlander alu was - swings and roundabouts. Cheers - I.

Personally, I like the Konsul a tad more than the Ambassador. It's a smoother shave, and seems rather more effective.

I bought my Ambassador in February 2019, so it's over three and a half years old. It isn't used every day, but it has had a reasonable amount of use over time. Coincidentally, I've had a three day session with it quite recently, and was somewhat brassed off to see that some of the numbers have rubbed off in places. As I don't touch this area of the razor, this is not wear from handling.

I don't know what particular technique is used to apply them (etching, some sort of special printing?), but I really do wish that they were engraved or stamped in, as is done with vintage razors, the Merkur Progress and the Pearl, where the numbers are readily detectable as lightly engraved. I hope that this doesn't happen to the Konsul, but the numbers are applied in the same way.

This isn't something that I shall get too upset about, as a razor is just a tool for shaving, and tools tend to wear with use. It's just a shame that my Ambassador is wearing in this way, as a major requirement of any indexed adjustable is to have a clear and durable set of numbers or indices.
The 'smoother' description is common among users of the Konsul. I'm convinced the issue must be me.

The 'smoother' description is common among users of the Konsul. I'm convinced the issue must be me.

4t9Euxi.gif

Just break out your Tech and quit chasing rainbows. ;)

20221015_082425~2.jpg

I had a reset with the Konsul today. It faced 2.5 days of growth. I loaded a fresh blade and started on setting #2. A world apart from the last shave. The razor cut through the hair with total ease. Very comfortable and only the odd noticeable bit of suction. I had been gearing myself up to accepting this razor may not be what I hoped it would be but this was a very nice shave. Looking forward to the next one.

Some key points. Despite its weight, the razor remains agile. You need no pressure as the weight of the head does the work. The patterned handle remained confidently in my grip whilst moving the razor.

View attachment 94863

I had a reset with the Konsul today. It faced 2.5 days of growth. I loaded a fresh blade and started on setting #2. A world apart from the last shave. The razor cut through the hair with total ease. Very comfortable and only the odd noticeable bit of suction. I had been gearing myself up to accepting this razor may not be what I hoped it would be but this was a very nice shave. Looking forward to the next one.

Some key points. Despite its weight, the razor remains agile. You need no pressure as the weight of the head does the work. The patterned handle remained confidently in my grip whilst moving the razor.
Interesting Chris , Any change of approach with the second shave ?

20221016_113032.jpg

Another comfortable shave with the Konsul. I focused on maintaining a steep angle throughout the shave and increased the setting up to #2.5 for the second pass. Comfort wasn't affected. I'm going to try a more shallow angle in the next shave to see what that does before trying a different blade - I'm going to continue using the Konsul for a while longer whilst I experiment. I feel like you guys need my shaving related input in your lives and this thread is an excellent way of delivering that.

Back
Top Bottom